REOPENKENNEDYCASE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ROKC IS NOW CLOSED AND IS READ ONLY. WE THANK THOSE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED US OVER THE LAST 14 YEARS.

Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
Brian says...Sat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 pmEd.Ledoux
last drinks before the bar closesSat 30 Dec 2023, 2:46 pmTony Krome
The Mystery of Dirk Thomas KunertSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:23 pmTony Krome
Vickie AdamsSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:14 pmgreg_parker
Busted again: Tex ItaliaSat 30 Dec 2023, 9:22 amEd.Ledoux
The Raleigh CallSat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 ambarto
Was Oswald ever confronted with the physical rifle?Sat 30 Dec 2023, 12:03 amCastroSimp
Who Dat? Fri 29 Dec 2023, 10:24 pmTony Krome
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website
Keywords

11  frazier  hosty  Theory  beckley  fritz  4  paine  2  3  9  3a  doyle  Humor  Mason  Lifton  tippit  +Lankford  Darnell  David  Floor  Weigman  Lankford  tsbd  zapruder  prayer  

Like/Tweet/+1

Go down
Steve_Thomas

Hutson and Hawkins Empty Hutson and Hawkins

Sat 18 Mar 2017, 8:18 pm
he account of T.A. Hutson is very interesting.

Ray Hawkins and T.A. Hutson both participated in the apprehension of Lee Oswald.
Ray Hawkins call sign was 211
T.A. Hutson call sign was 284

J.D. Tippit is shot. Multiple units respond. A search of the houses in the vicinity is undertaken. The search of the houses proves fruitless. A suspect is spotted at the Library. Multiple units respond.

Sometime between the search of the houses and the sighting of a suspect at the Library, Hawkins and Hutson make a stop at a Mobile Gas Station at 10th and Beckley to make a phone call, supposedly in response from a request from Dispatch to call in.
I do not find any reference to this phone call in the Dispatch tapes.

Is it odd that Tippit and Hawkins are making phone calls on a landline telephone right around this same time period?
And what was Hutson doing that he burned out the clutch on his motorcycle? Either the motorcycles in the DPD were poorly maintained, or Hutson was doing some pretty wild riding. I have a vague memory of another motorcyclist's engine or clutch going out that day, but I can't put my finger on it right now.

(Hawkins) We had just finished the accident at this time and I was driving an officer, Baggett, and I proceeded to Oak Cliff to the general vicinity of the call after checking out with the dispatcher, stating that we were proceeding in that direction.

From the Dispatch tapes - Between 1:16 and 1:19 PM:
DIS 211:

DIS: 211.

211: We're clear, Industrial and Stemmons. We'll go out there.

DIS: 10-4, 211

We arrived in Oak Cliff and there were several squads in the general vicinity of where the shooting had occurred---different stories had come out that the person was--the suspect had been seen in the immediate vicinity.
Mr. BALL. Did you go to 10th and Patton?
Mr. HAWKINS. We drove by 10th and Patton--we didn't stop at the location.
Mr. BALL. Where did you go then?
Mr. HAWKINS. We circled the vicinity around Jefferson and Marsalis and in that area, talking to several people on the street, asking if they had seen anyone running up the alley or running down the street, and then they received a call, or I believe Officer Walker put out a call that he had just seen a white man running to the Oak Cliff Library, at which time we proceeded to this location. Officer Hutson had gotten into the car with us when we arrived in Oak Cliff, and there were three of us in the squad car--Officer Baggett, Officer Hutson, and myself.
Mr. BALL Hutson is also a patrolman?Mr. HAWKINS. Yes, sir.
Mr. BALL. A uniformed patrolman?
Mr. HAWKINS. Yes, sir; he is a three-wheel officer.

(Hutson) Mr. HUTSON. As I was being released, (From Elm and Houston) I heard the radio dispatcher come on the radio and give a Signal 19, and that a shooting involving a police officer in the 500 block of East Jefferson...
Mr. BELIN. When you heard this news about this shooting in Oak Cliff----by the way, where was your regular station ordinarily?
Mr. HUTSON. I worked west of Vernon on Jefferson.
Mr. BELIN. Is that Oak Cliff?
Mr. HUTSON. Yes; that is West Jefferson Boulevard.
Mr. BELIN. What did you do after you heard about the shooting?
Mr. HUTSON. I got on my motorcycle and I proceeded down through the triple underpass and up onto R. L. Thornton Freeway to Oak Cliff.
Mr. BELIN. Where did you go?
Mr. HUTSON. I exited off Jefferson and went to the 400 block of East Jefferson Boulevard and began a search of the two-story house behind 10th Street where the officer had been shot.
Mr. BELIN. All right.
Mr. HUTSON. And after we searched this area, I got in the squad car with Officer Ray Hawkins, who was driving, and Officer Baggett was riding in the back seat.
Mr. BELIN. Why did you get inside the squad car?
Mr. HUTSON.
The clutch on my motorcycle was burned out and I couldn't get any speed and I just barely made it over there, and I didn't know whether I would be able to start and go or not.
Mr. BELIN. Then what did you do?

Mr. HUTSON. We proceeded west on 10th Street to Beckley, and we pulled into the Mobil gas station at Beckley and 10th Street.
Mr. BELIN. That is a Mobil gas station?
Mr. HUTSON. Yes.
Mr. BELIN. All right.
Mr. HUTSON. And Officer Ray Hawkins and Officer Baggett went inside of the Mobil gas station. And I am not positive, but I think they used the telephone to call in.
I am not positive, but I believe they gave us a call for us to call. I mean their number to call in.
At the time they were in the service station, I heard the dispatcher give a call that the suspect was just seen running across the lawn at the Oak Cliff Branch Library at Marsalis and Jefferson.
I reached over and blew the siren on the squad car to attract the officers' attention, Officers Baggett and Hawkins, and they came running out of the service station and jumped in the car, and I told them to report to, I can't remember, Marsalis and Jefferson, the suspect was seen running across the lawn at the library.

From the Dispatch tapes - 1:34 PM

22: They've got him holed up, it looks like, in this
building over here at the corner.

22: (?) ...were you be?

85: 85, library.
DIS: 10-4.

211: 211 out at that location.
DIS: 10-4.

Hawkins is circling the area around Jefferson and Marsalis (where the Library is). (which is about six blocks east of where Tippit has been shot)
He heads west and picks up Hutson in the neighborhood of 10th and Patton. They continue west on 10th till they get to Beckley and 10th, where they make a phone call at a Mobil Gas Station. While they're in there on a phone call, Dispatch announces that a suspect has been seen at the Library, so they head back east again.

1. I don't see a call from Hutson to headquarters asking for a tow truck for his motorcycle.
  2. I don't see calls from either Hutson or Hawkins to headquarters notifying them that Hutson is now with Hawkins.
  3. I don't see a call from Hawkins to headquarters that he will be “out” at the Mobil Gas Station.
  4. If Hawkins is on the phone to headquarters, why does Hutson need to turn on the siren alerting Hawkins and Baggett that the suspect has been seen at the Library?
  5. What happened to Hutson's motorcycle?

Steve Thomas
Jake_Sykes
Jake_Sykes

Hutson and Hawkins Empty Re: Hutson and Hawkins

Sun 19 Mar 2017, 1:59 am
I did not know about this. Thanks Steve.

As you suggest, this appears to be the same kind of twilight zone that Tippit was in where a land line is involved. I'm not familiar enough with radio protocols to know if the motorcycle info should have been detailed real time. Certainly it seems as though Hutson's transfer to Hawkins should have been called in.

So, in an effort to come up with some kind of explanation, I have speculated in the past that for the Tippit slaying to occur as a separate operation, go or no go depending upon the outcome of the Dealey operation, there had to be command and control. I have speculated that this was done with a low power transmitter and receiver in the Collins radio car seen in Oak Cliff at the time. It seems possible that both Tippet and Hawkins were told to call in from that car. Whom they actually called and talked to would be another question. It would not have to be the dispatcher in Hawkins' case, and it might have been in Tippit's case (or not). Also if there were two modes of transmission possible in their patrol cars, be it switchable voluntarily or by remote control that would have them switch to a different frequency when making certain calls, then those could be received in the Collins car and not at the dispatcher. This would be a stealth mode of command and control that could operate in or out of the DPD system instantaneously without the whole department knowing about it.

In this way Hawkins could have "called in" that Hutson was transferred to his car. He could have received a message to "call in" on a land line (both of which Hutson could have heard) with the actual purpose to resolve what to do about the unexpected acquisition of Hutson in the car. This could be a way that certain radio communications would not show up on the tapes while others would, and also result in the testimony Hutson gave. On this basis it would appear the Hutson development may have taken Hawkins out of whatever role he may have been supposed to play, but I have no idea what that would be.

I know it's all wild speculation, but I didn't come up with the Collins radio car and the police officers making unexplained land line calls in various locations around the Tippet slaying in Oak Cliff. And I didn't come up with Prayer Man, without which I would not be here speculating on the Tippit slaying.

Really interesting information Steve. Thanks again for laying it out.

Sun 19 Mar 2017, 5:22 am
Jake Sykes wrote:Jake,

I don't understand Hawkins response to Tippit's shooting.
He hears a report that an officer has been shot.
He tells Dispatch that he is going there.
But when he gets there, he doesn't stop.
All the reports say that the suspect is last seen heading west, but Hawkins drives six blocks east and starts circling the area.
I have always believed that the Library was supposed to play a larger role than it turned out to be.

Steve Thomas
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin
http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXOA5ZK/ref=s9_simh_

Sun 19 Mar 2017, 9:01 am
Steve Thomas wrote:
Jake Sykes wrote:Jake,

All the reports say that the suspect is last seen heading west, but Hawkins drives six blocks east and starts circling the area.
I have always believed that the Library was supposed to play a larger role than it turned out to be.

Steve Thomas
The library has to be just pure coincidence or quick thinking ad-libbing if it played out the way we're told.  If I recall, two Secret Service agents sent Hamby running into the library and a cop mistook Hamby for a suspect because he was running. It's a bit too much to suggest Hamby was a pre-planned diversion unless Hamby himself was in in on it, which would have to be extremely doubtful.

The Cold War ran on bullshit.
              Me

"So what’s an independent-minded populist like me to do? I’ve had to grovel in promoting myself on social media, even begging for Amazon reviews and Goodreads ratings, to no avail." 
Don Jeffries

"I've been aware of Greg Parker's work for years, and strongly recommend it." Peter Dale Scott

https://gregrparker.com
Steve_Thomas

Sun 19 Mar 2017, 8:52 pm
greg parker wrote:

The library has to be just pure coincidence or quick thinking ad-libbing if it played out the way we're told.  If I recall, two Secret Service agents sent Hamby running into the library and a cop mistook Hamby for a suspect because he was running. It's a bit too much to suggest Hamby was a pre-planned diversion unless Hamby himself was in in on it, which would have to be extremely doubtful.

At 12:30 in the afternoon on November 22nd, Detective Marvin Buhk of the Dallas City Police Forgery Bureau was supplementing security at the Dallas Trade Mart where President Kennedy was due to give a speech that afternoon. He was on duty on the fourth floor of the Trade Mart when he received word of the President’s assassination. He said that Captain Jones then instructed him to proceed with Lt. Cunningham, E.E. Taylor, and J.B. Toney to the scene of the assassination to see what they could do.
At 1:34 PM, Car 410 radios in to Dispatch that 420 is “en route from Trade Mart with three detectives to the City Hall, unless otherwise directed.”
At 1:43, Dispatch acknowledges, “10-4, 410. 1:43. “

Enroute to the scene, they received word that a police officer had been shot in the Oak Cliff section of Dallas and Lt. Cunningham decided that they could do more good by going to that location immediately, rather than by way of the President’s shooting. While they were driving, they received word of the suspect being in the branch library at Jefferson and Marsalis. As Buhk wrote in his after-action report to Police Chief Jesse Curry on December 3, 1963, “We converged on that location and there were Secret Service men and other patrol and CID officers present when all the people were ordered out of the building. One of the Secret Service men stated the person who came out of the basement with the others was not the suspect and that he had already talked to him a few minutes previously.”

Notice that Marvin Buhk speaks of more than one Agent being present. The “Secret Service man” Buhk spoke to was also a primary catalyst in shifting attention away from the branch library. At 1:34 PM, Patrolman C.T. Walker broadcasts on Channel 2 that the suspect is in the Library. At approximately 1:40 Sergeant C.B. Owens tells Dispatch, and the Dispatcher broadcasts to all cars to “Disregard all information on the suspect arrested, it was the wrong man.”

This is only about an six-minute window of opportunity. When did these “secret service men” arrive at the Library, how did they know to go there, and when did one of them have time to “talk to the man previously”? Buhk was a Detective in the Forgery Bureau, which was part of the Criminal Intelligence Division, or CID. You would think that he would know the difference between fellow Detectives in the Special Service Bureau, and “Secret Service men.”

I personally believe that something was supposed to happen at the Library, and when it didn't come off, Hamby was used as a convenient excuse to deflect attention away from that location.

But, that's just my opinion.

Hawkins' behavior still puzzles me. He learns of a fellow officer's shooting and reports to Dispatch that he's heading over there. But when he gets there, he doesn't stop, but instead drives over to the Library and starts circling the area.

Steve Thomas
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin
http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXOA5ZK/ref=s9_simh_

Sun 19 Mar 2017, 9:22 pm
Steve Thomas wrote:This is only about an six-minute window of opportunity. When did these “secret service men” arrive at the Library, how did they know to go there, and when did one of them have time to “talk to the man previously”? Buhk was a Detective in the Forgery Bureau, which was part of the Criminal Intelligence Division, or CID. You would think that he would know the difference between fellow Detectives in the Special Service Bureau, and “Secret Service men.”

Steve, going from memory again, but I believe the official story is that they just happened to be in the area when Hamby was on his way in to start work at the library. Presumably because he was a young white male, they stopped him. When he said that he worked in the library, they told him to go in and get them to lock the doors because there was a cop killer on the loose. So Hamby puts his running shoes on, is seen by a cop running in - and that cop jumps to a wrong conclusion so now we "have a suspect in the library."

I have always wondered what the hell Secret Service guys were doing there since this was allegedly not known to be related to the assassination and was strictly a police matter. Makes more sense if they were Police Special Services - but as you point out - Buhk would surely know the difference. That aspect does remain puzzling. As does the manner in which the situation was handled in comparison to the theater.

The Cold War ran on bullshit.
              Me

"So what’s an independent-minded populist like me to do? I’ve had to grovel in promoting myself on social media, even begging for Amazon reviews and Goodreads ratings, to no avail." 
Don Jeffries

"I've been aware of Greg Parker's work for years, and strongly recommend it." Peter Dale Scott

https://gregrparker.com
Steve_Thomas

Sun 19 Mar 2017, 11:04 pm
greg parker wrote:

I have always wondered what the hell Secret Service guys were doing there since this was allegedly not known to be related to the assassination and was strictly a police matter.
Greg,

Not just what they were doing there, but who they were.

To the best of my knowledge, no known Secret Service Agents were anywhere else than at the Trade Mart, Love Field, or the motorcade/Parkland Hospital. Everybody is accounted for. (Except for Charles Kunkel of the Dallas office - who supposedly was on an "unspecified assignment in Washington, D.C.").

Steve Thomas
Steve_Thomas

Tue 21 Mar 2017, 3:42 am
Steve Thomas wrote:

What do you think of the idea that Tippit's call at the Top Ten Record Store and Hawkins' call at the Mobil Gas Station are related; as in
"I can't find him.", or "He's not here.", meaning Oswald?

From the account's I've read, Tippit was behaving erratically, and the stop at Top Ten was a rushed affair.
Hawkins responds to the Tippit shooting, but doesn't stop at 10th and Patton. He goes to the Library neighborhood at Jefferson and Marsalis and starts circling the neighborhood. Drives back to 10th and Patton,pick up Hutson, and then he and Baggett stop and make a phone call from a Mobil Gas Station at 10th and Beckley, leaving Hutson in the car. When Hutson blows the horn to let them know that a suspect has been seen at the Library, they go rushing back over there. Whatever Hutson is doing, he has blown the clutch on his motorcycle.

1) Why hasn't Hawkins' landline telephone call from 10th and Beckley received the same attention that Tippit's call from the Top Ten Record store?
2) Why didn't Hawkins tell the Warren Commission about this telephone call when he testified on April 3, 1964?
3) Why did it take both Hawkins and Baggett to make this phone call?
E.R. Baggett is a patrolman temporarily assigned to the DPD Special Service Bureau.
http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh19/pdf/WH19_Batchelor_Ex_5002.pdf

Hawkins has learned that a fellow officer has been shot. He is in the middle of a manhunt for a possible killer.
But he stops to make a phone call - the contents of which we will never know.

4)  Is it possible that Tippit and Hawkins were calling the same people?

Steve Thomas
Steve_Thomas

Tue 21 Mar 2017, 3:58 am
The first six lines of E.R. Baggett's and Ray Hawkins' Reports on the arrest of Lee Harvey Oswald in the DPD Archives read word for word. Neither mention the stop at the Mobil Gas Station.
Baggett: Box 1, Folder# 4, Item# 13
http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box1.htm

Hawkins: Box 2, Folder# 7, Item# 18
http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box2.htm

Steve Thomas
Steve_Thomas

Tue 21 Mar 2017, 10:02 pm
I don't know. Were pearl handled revolvers standard issue for Dallas traffic cops?
https://tvnooz.com/2013/11/12/killing-kennedy-the-cop-who-slapped-the-cuffs-on-lee-harvey-oswald/

Steve Thomas
Steve_Thomas

Tue 21 Mar 2017, 10:26 pm
There was a permanent pass to the Carousel Club issued to a Ray Hawkins at City Hall.
Pass# 227

CE 1322 p. 502
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1317#relPageId=532&tab=page

This may be a different Ray Hawkins though.

Steve Thomas
Steve_Thomas

Thu 13 Apr 2017, 7:52 am
Steve Thomas wrote:
Sometime between the search of the houses and the sighting of a suspect at the Library, Hawkins and Hutson make a stop at a Mobil Gas Station at 10th and Beckley to make a phone call, supposedly in response from a request from Dispatch to call in.

From Mary Ferrell Database
Dallas Police Department Patrolman. Friend of Jack Ruby. Name in Crafard's notebook (Ruby's).
https://www.maryferrell.org/php/marysdb.php?id=4658

DPD Archives Box 18, Folder# 6, Item# 13 p. 2
http://jfk.ci.dallas.tx.us/box18.htm

Ray Hawkins 5119 Live Oak TA 1 5196

Had a membership card to Carousel Club. Said he had been in there 2 or 3 times and that Ruby said he would give him a permanent pass but never received.
Memo from Westbrook to Curry dated December 12, 1963
WC Hearings and Exhibits 25H168
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1141#relPageId=198&tab=page

However:

There was a permanent pass to the Carousel Club issued to a Ray Hawkins at City Hall.
Pass# 227
CE 1322 p. 502
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1317#relPageId=532&tab=page

Is it possible that J.D. Tippit and Hawkins were calling the same people? and was that person Jack Ruby to let him know that they couldn't find Oswald?
Is it possible that the car Earlene Roberts saw was not 207, but 211 -  Ray Hawkins car?
Was Hawkins' job to kill Oswld? Apprehend him and keep him from talking to anybody? or at least be present so that if he did talk to somebody else, report back to hire-ups what Oswald was saying?

PS: The City of Dallas mad you buy your own handcuffs.
Ray Hawkins handcuffed Oswald with his own personal cuffs.
Later, those cuffs would be auctioned off for $250,000.

Steve Thomas

Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Sun 30 Apr 2017, 9:35 am
[*]don't see a call from Hutson to headquarters asking for a tow truck for his motorcycle. Or a call saying he is having trouble while enroute.
[*]I don't see calls from either Hutson or Hawkins to headquarters notifying them that Hutson is now with Hawkins.
[*]Right, Hutson was alone in car with radio. He should have used it then.
[*]I don't see a call from Hawkins to headquarters that he will be “out” at the Mobil Gas Station. 
[*]With Hutson still in the car it could be okay. 
[*]Were they making a call or talking to the gas station attendants 
[*]If Hawkins is on the phone to headquarters, why does Hutson need to turn on the siren alerting Hawkins and Baggett that the suspect has been seen at the Library? Rhetorical. They were not on phone to dispatch.
[*]What happened to Hutson's motorcycle? 
[*]Likely sold as a souvenir 

[*]Very thought provoking thread.
[*]Thanks steve. I brought up a few points from it for DPUK. 
[*]Ties this into the bus transfer and marsalis bus, which stopped at the corner of marsalis and jefferson. 

[*]Cheers, Ed
Steve_Thomas

Sun 30 Apr 2017, 6:50 pm
Ed. Ledoux wrote:[*]I don't see a call from Hawkins to headquarters that he will be “out” at the Mobil Gas Station. 
[*]With Hutson still in the car it could be okay. 
[*]Were they making a call or talking to the gas station attendants 

[*]If Hawkins is on the phone to headquarters, why does Hutson need to turn on the siren alerting Hawkins and Baggett that the suspect has been seen at the Library? Rhetorical. They were not on phone to dispatch.

[*]Ties this into the bus transfer and marsalis bus, which stopped at the corner of marsalis and jefferson.

[*]
Ed, thanks.

Mr. HUTSON. And after we searched this area, I got in the squad car with Officer Ray Hawkins, who was driving, and Officer Baggett was riding in the back seat.

Baggett and Hawkins had been riding around together all morning. As the "odd man out" or the "third guy on a date", why is Hutson riding in the front seat? Why did Baggett get in the back? Was Baggett junior in seniority in some way? He had been temporarily assigned to the Special Service Bureau, and was returning to accident investigation, was he "in training"

"Mr. HUTSON. We proceeded west on 10th Street to Beckley, and we pulled into the Mobil gas station at Beckley and 10th Street.
Mr. HUTSON. Yes.
Mr. BELIN. All right.
Mr. HUTSON. And Officer Ray Hawkins and Officer Baggett went inside of the Mobil gas station.
And I am not positive, but I think they used the telephone to call in.
I am not positive, but I believe they gave us a call for us to call. I mean their number to call in."

You're right. Since a telephone call from dispatch to 211 telling them to call in doesn't show up on the dispatch tapes, and neither Hawkins or Baggett make any mention of making a call from the Mobil Gas Station in their after-action reports or in Hawkins' WC testimony, maybe they stopped at the Mobil station to ask the attendants if they had seen anybody suspicious in the neighborhood.

We only have Hutson's word on it that it involved a telephone call. But if didn't involve Hawkins making a phone call to "somebody", why didn't Hutson just say so? Why even bring it up? Why is Hutson so evasive in his answer, twice saying, "I'm not positive, but..."?

And if Hawkins and Baggett were on the telephone, they weren't talking to headquarters.

Steve Thomas

Steve_Thomas

Thu 03 Aug 2017, 2:15 am
Steve Thomas wrote:
Sometime between the search of the houses and the sighting of a suspect at the Library, Hawkins and Hutson make a stop at a Mobile Gas Station at 10th and Beckley to make a phone call, supposedly in response from a request from Dispatch to call in.
Mr. HUTSON. We proceeded west on 10th Street to Beckley, and we pulled into the Mobil gas station at Beckley and 10th Street.
Mr. HUTSON. Yes.
Mr. BELIN. All right.
Mr. HUTSON. And Officer Ray Hawkins and Officer Baggett went inside of the Mobil gas station. And I am not positive, but I think they used the telephone to call in.

WC Testimony of Kenneth Croy:
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/croy.htm

Mr. CROY. I am in the real estate business. I have a Mobil service station. I am in the steel erection business. And I am a professional cowboy, and that is about it that I can think of right now. “

Intriguing possibility...

Steve Thomas
Steve_Thomas

Thu 03 Aug 2017, 11:36 pm
Steve Thomas wrote:The account of T.A. Hutson is very interesting.

Sometime between the search of the houses and the sighting of a suspect at the Library, Hawkins and Hutson make a stop at a Mobil Gas Station at 10th and Beckley to make a phone call, supposedly in response from a request from Dispatch to call in.

Mr. HUTSON. Yes.
Mr. BELIN. All right.
I am not positive, but I believe they gave us a call for us to call. I mean their number to call in.

Steve Thomas

I searched through the 1961 Dallas City Directory, and it does not show a Mobil gas station at 10th and Beckley.
According to the 1961 Dallas City Directory:

10th and Beckley is the dividing line numbering the streets running north and south, and streets running east and west.

On the northwest corner of that intersection is the Cliff Temple Baptist Church Sunday School Bldg.
The northeast corner of that intersection is now a parking lot.

103 N. Beckley Ave. = Walker's Texaco Service Station

Walker, Reagan L. Walker. Walker's Texaco Service Station 103 N. Beckley Ave.

10th west from Beckley = 109 W. 10th is the Debrocque Appts.
According to Google Maps, 109 W. 10th is now a bus station
121 – 126 W. 10th is the Cliff Temple Baptist Church and Annex

10th east from Beckley = 101 E. 10th is the YMCA Oak Cliff Branch
102 E. 10th was the Dunnigan H O Service Station

Dunnigan, Howard O. Dunnigan H O Service Station 102 E. 10th.  Spouse Thelma L. Thelma owned Thelma's Beauty Salon. home address and address of beauty shop: 2930 W. Jefferson Blvd.

102 E. 10th is now F&W Auto Sales tel. 946-5504 Used Car Sales. It appears run down and abandoned.

This raises several possibilities:
1) Hutson's account of a stop at a Mobil gas station so Hawkins could make a phone call was totally fabricated. There is no reference to this phone call in the Dispatch tapes, nor do Baggett or Hawkins reference it in their after-action reports or in Hawkins' WC testimony;
2) Hutson mistook Walker's Texaco Station or Dunnigan's Service Station as a Mobil station;
3) The possible involvement of one or more people at either the Walker Texaco station or Dunnigan's Service Station that has never come to light, that Hutson tried to hide by mislabeling it as a Mobil station;
4) something that I haven't thought of.

It's all very curious.

Steve Thomas
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum