REOPENKENNEDYCASE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ROKC IS NOW CLOSED AND IS READ ONLY. WE THANK THOSE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED US OVER THE LAST 14 YEARS.

Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
Brian says...Sat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 pmEd.Ledoux
last drinks before the bar closesSat 30 Dec 2023, 2:46 pmTony Krome
The Mystery of Dirk Thomas KunertSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:23 pmTony Krome
Vickie AdamsSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:14 pmgreg_parker
Busted again: Tex ItaliaSat 30 Dec 2023, 9:22 amEd.Ledoux
The Raleigh CallSat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 ambarto
Was Oswald ever confronted with the physical rifle?Sat 30 Dec 2023, 12:03 amCastroSimp
Who Dat? Fri 29 Dec 2023, 10:24 pmTony Krome
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website
Keywords

3  +Lankford  tsbd  11  beckley  Theory  Mason  9  3a  hosty  fritz  4  Weigman  2  zapruder  Darnell  doyle  Humor  frazier  David  paine  tippit  prayer  Lankford  Lifton  Floor  

Like/Tweet/+1

Go down
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin
http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXOA5ZK/ref=s9_simh_

star wars trilogy at the barbers Empty star wars trilogy at the barbers

Sat 11 Nov 2017, 1:55 am
Star Wars Trilogy
Cliff Shasteen owned and operated an Irving barbershop. He employed two or three others; got to know all the locals, includes kids, if not by name then at least by sight or reputation. For example, he knew Ruth Paine by sight, and knew the car she drove.  Like all barbers, he had an opinion on everything, but tried to discourage talk on politics and religion as being bad for business.

Prior to cutting hair, Shasteen had, during the Korean War, been a security informant at Chance Vought when the company had a major military contract for the F4U Corsair Fighter plane.

If you wanted to stage a little vignette in Irving to help create a certain impression and ensure that this impression would be made known, Shasteen was your man.
And so it was, Shasteen claimed to have cut Oswald’s hair on a number of occasions in October and November 1963 and perhaps on one occasion earlier in the year. On two of those occasions Oswald was accompanied by a 14 years old boy who never got his hair cut or said anything. 

Then the boy appeared a few days before the assassination on his own, got a cut and began a dialogue on the benefits of one world government, and the plight of the “have nots” in society as it is. Shasteen blew a fuse. He found what was coming out of this kid’s mouth so surprising and disturbing that he asked how old he was. He later tried to find out who he was, without success. What he did know was the kid was not a local Irving kid.

The fact that this happened so close to the assassination, the fact that the boy never said anything until he was there on his own, the fact that he never returned and the fact that the FBI showed no more than token interest, all point to this being a play for an unsuspecting, but targeted audience.

And the boy’s identity only adds further fuel to that fire.

To discover his identity, I simply searched through the records looking for someone the right age who had known or at least possible access to Oswald in the time frame given.

Based on those parameters there was only one candidate and as it happens, he matched the description given by Shasteen perfectly.

That description was
a husky kid, he wasn't what you call fat, but he was strong--broad-shouldered--he had a real full, and when I say full, I don't mean a round fat face, he was a wide-faced kid. You know, he was a nice-looking kid. I mean, if he had had the personality and the teaching and the understanding to go with his looks, he could have done anything he wanted to do, but his personality to me made him look terrible and what he thought, and naturally when somebody disagrees with you to the point you get angry with them, you don't think much of their looks, but if you bring it down to his looks, he was blue-eyed, blonde-headed--he was not a light blonde he was a dark blonde. In fact, a lot of. people might call him brown-headed. But he wasn't nobody's dummy because a 14-year-old boy can't spit out-

Or to shorten that, he was a nice-looking, wide-faced kid with broad shoulders, blue eyes and dark-blonde hair who was extremely intelligent and well-spoken.

Who potentially, had access to Oswald during this period and fits that description?
Ruth Paine’s sole private Russian language student, William Hootkins.  Note that Hootkins had turned 15 by the time the FBI interviewed his mother in February 1964.

star wars trilogy at the barbers William+Hootkins

William Hootkins as an adult. The round face, broad shoulders and hair color are all evident

Ruth had been a fill-in Russian language teacher at St Marks, a prestigious school for the elite of Dallas, after which she had come to an arrangement with the school to tutor students privately, but using the school facilities. Thus, Ruth was supposed to pick young Hootkins up at his home, drive him to St. Marks for the one-on-one lessons, then take him home.

It appears however, that Ruth was picking William up and taking him to Irving instead. 

Hootkins’ acting career began at St Marks, along with Tommy Lee Jones.  It was a career which took him all the way to a part in Star Wars during an illustrious career as a character actor.  It appears though that his star turn in the barber shop was his first public acting gig. Either William was practicing as a provocateur or infiltrator, or he was smearing Oswald as a communist by association.

Firstly, on the face of it, the then high school student had no need of paid private tuition from the likes of Ruth since he was of White Russian heritage and should have been able to access the help of native speakers.

Secondly, His father, Seymour Hootkins, was in the oil and gas business and was a financial contributor to Republican Party candidates such as Sam Johnson, Ray Farrell, David Hobbs, Paul Pilzer and Joe Barton. Looking at the backgrounds of these politicians, most were/are on the hard right and some attended St Marks and/or SMU. Seymour did not exactly bring young William up to be a Utopian Warrior.
St Mark’s may also hold a clue. The assistant head master at St Mark’s was Edward Oviatt. Prior to then he had worked at Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts.

The Williams College newspaper ran a story in 1954 about a secretive anti-communist student organization known as Students for America

star wars trilogy at the barbers Students+for+America+clipping

This story obviously does not disclose whether Williams College had a chapter, but Oviatt worked there at the time of this story, and the name Robert Munger (the name of the organization's founder) is a famous one in Dallas, though I have not found any connection between this Munger and the extremely wealthy Cotton Gin founder of the same name. Perhaps someone can look into it, or better still, find confirmation that the school was - or was not - one of Munger’s 120.

Munger’s organization was formed in 1951 and was originally known as Students for MacArthur. The 120 campuses claimed by Munger to have a chapter did include high schools.   

The FBI knew all about Ruth's teaching. Hosty himself went to St Mark's pre and post-assassination, the former ostensibly to do a background checks on Ruth, the latter checking into the Hootkins’ lessons.  That no one in the FBI put Hootkins together with Shasteen’s worrisome kid, beggars belief.  In fact, it raises the question of whether the FBI itself was somehow involved in this affair.

Other bits and pieces:
Recall that Shasteen was very impressed by the kid’s intelligence. After leaving St Mark’s, young Bill studied astro-physics and Mandarin at Princeton.

Hootkins was good friends with Martin Sheen, despite serious differences over Israel and Palestine.

Hootkins played a role in a BBC radio play: Oswald in Russia.

In her Warren Commission testimony, Ruth Paine described the entry of Hootkins’ contact details in her address book as being of just “mild significance” before cutting Jenner off regarding the phone number and giving him the “move-on-to-the-next-name” treatment.

As alluded to earlier, the FBI investigation of the kid in the barbershop was token. It consisted of asking Ruth Paine if she had any idea about who it was. Her recorded response was classic Ruth. The FBI report reads “she has no child even as old as school age and knows of no boy of about 14 with whom Oswald was ever associated in the neighborhood. " A true but misleading statement indeed because Hootkins was not from that neighborhood. The document continues onto the next page where she again denies ever allowing Oswald to take her car by himself anywhere. In Ruth-speak this could have one of at least two alternative meanings (a) that she did allow him to take her car so long as he had another person with him, or (b) it was husband Michael who gave him the permission. The lesson is that in questioning a Quaker, you should leave no wiggle room for such misleading responses.

Talk with Alan Dale here https://www.jfkconversations.com

#Paine

Last edited by greg_parker on Wed 15 Jul 2020, 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : formatting and links fixed)

The Cold War ran on bullshit.
              Me

"So what’s an independent-minded populist like me to do? I’ve had to grovel in promoting myself on social media, even begging for Amazon reviews and Goodreads ratings, to no avail." 
Don Jeffries

"I've been aware of Greg Parker's work for years, and strongly recommend it." Peter Dale Scott

https://gregrparker.com
James K. Olmstead

star wars trilogy at the barbers Empty Re: star wars trilogy at the barbers

Sat 11 Nov 2017, 2:15 am
Greg:  Interesting material and will look over my student movement files.  I have some of interest coming out of
Ohio from my Kent State files, but I think they are in a
storage device, not on this computer. I have some anti-communist school program info from New Orleans and I
believe Morris ran another anti-com school program in
Dallas...all yours if I can help....jko
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Sat 11 Nov 2017, 9:51 pm
James K. Olmstead wrote:Greg:  Interesting material and will look over my student movement files.  I have some of interest coming out of
Ohio from my Kent State files, but I think they are in a
storage device, not on this computer. I have some anti-communist school program info from New Orleans and I
believe Morris ran another anti-com school program in
Dallas...all yours if I can help....jko
That would be amazingly helpful because it adds to the overall picture of what was happening. Thanks Jim.

Me

"So what’s an independent-minded populist like me to do? I’ve had to grovel in promoting myself on social media, even begging for Amazon reviews and Goodreads ratings, to no avail." 
Don Jeffries

"I've been aware of Greg Parker's work for years, and strongly recommend it." Peter Dale Scott

James K. Olmstead

Sun 12 Nov 2017, 1:56 am
Greg: Jerry had access to a great deal of newspaper
articles of interest. This is one that I had saved, dealing with the 1958-59 period.  I keep things in odd
places and files, not sure how far back you want to go.

Subject: New Orleans and the 1959 World Youth Festival in Vienna
Date: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 12:05 PM

In 1959, a New Orleans man, Richard C. Bell, in conjunction
with a Chicago group, organized a group of students to attend
the 1959 World Youth Conference in Vienna. His plans attracted
opposition from the local American Legion, especially Kent Courtney,
Festus Brown and James Pfister. The Legion organized a Free
Enterprise Seminar "to alert local college students to the dangers
involved in attending the communist-sponsored World Youth Festival
in Vienna." Speakers at the seminar include Guy Banister, Medford
Evans and Douglas Caddy. Bell and his group did make it to Vienna.

New Orleans Times-Picayune  March 5, 1958  P41

Soviet Students Draft Exempt

Richard C. Bell, speech before Exchange Club

Bell visited 6th World Youth Festival in Moscow last
August as a state dept. observer

says best method of relieving tensions is further interchange
of travel and students

[Re: Moscow festival, see Morris and Mollie Block in HSCA
defector study:
http://www.geocities.com/jfkinfo4/jfk12/defector.htm#block ]

May 7, 1958  P22

Foreign Policy [Association] Leaders Named
Mellin Chosen Head of N.O. Association

some FPA board members: Eberhard Deutsch, Richard Bell, Clay Shaw,
Rabbi Feibelman

[time passes...]

May 7, 1959  P38

N.O. Delegation Going to Vienna
Group Will Attend World Youth Festival

Richard C. Bell, southern director American Youth Festival
Organization

jazz band "The Last Straws"

May 9, 1959  P35

Plan to Attend Festival is Hit
To Be Use for Propaganda Aims - [American] Legion

Kent Courtney vs. Richard Bell

May 14, 1959  S2-P19

Foreign Policy Group Elects

FPA, Robert D. Hess, pres.

Richard Bell, Jesse Core, Clay Shaw

May 21, 1959  S1-P26

Legion to Warn of Red Festival
Louisiana Youths to Get Facts on Event

Festus J. Brown, Kent Courtney

May 31, 1959  S1-P24

'Free Enterprise Seminar' Nears

June 6

Festus Brown
  Kent Courtney
  W. Guy Banister
  Medford Evans
  George Schulz
  Douglas Caddy, "Human Events"

want all young people planning to go to Vienna Festival to attend

June 5, 1959  S1-P11

Youth Seminar Speaker Named

Medford Evans

"to alert local college students to the dangers involved in
attending the communist-sponsored World Youth Festival in Vienna."

June 7, 1959  S1-P12

Hope Incentive Hailed by Evans
Free Enterprise Seminar Hears Professor

Dr. Medford Evans

Guy Banister on "Aesopian Language"

Douglas Caddy

June 18, 1959  S2-P6

Vienna Festival Motion Passed
YMBC Favors Individual Students Attending

Festus Brown opposed

Ivor Trapolin supported

June 21 1959  S2-P4

Views of Readers - Seminar Results
by James H. Pfister

Free Enterprise Seminar

100 attendees Vienna Youth Festival

some Tulane students changed mind about attending

July 19, 1959  S3-P13

Vienna Youth Rally Seen as Red Sounding Board

Vienna (AP)

Gloria Steinem, Leonard Bebchick

Independent Service for Information on the Vienna Youth Fest.

http://www.pir.org/steinem.html

July 25, 1959  S1-P7

Legion Opposes Youth Festival

James Pfister, Festus Brown

"anyone attending will aid the communist cause"

July 28, 1959  S1-P8

17 Orleanians at Youth Rally
Hope to 'Sell America,' Says Richard Bell

American Youth Festival Organization, Chicago

Ernest Kinchen

July 28, 1959  S1-P8

Austria Youth Ask Lama's Aid
Anti-Reds in Drive on Youth Festival

Vienna(UPI)

Dalai Lama

July 30, 1959  S2-P2

Exhibit Taken to Festival by N.O. Group Refused
Red Officials at Vienna Claim Lack of Space

Richard Bell, jazz band

Aug 2, 1959  S1-P1

Group from City Fights Communism with Jazz
Plays Dixieland Music at Youth Festival

Vienna(AP)

Richard C. Bell, Ernest Kinchen, Charles Jones

Aug 3, 1959  S1-P8

Anti-Red Roughed up in Youth Festival Parade
Slogans Stirs Anger of Pro-Communists

Vienna(AP)

Aug 4, 1959  S1-P3

[Paul] Robeson Says Policy 'Fascist'
Singer Sees Good in Visit by Nixon

Vienna(AP)

Richard Bell had quit festival in protest of beatings of
American delegates

Aug 5, 1959  S1-P11

Youth Festival in Vienna Ends
No Decisive Victory for Either East to West

Vienna(AP)

Aug 21, 1959  S2-P2

Youth Festival Activities Told
Bell Relates Orleanians' Part in 'Unsuccess'

Sept 10, 1959  S1-P19

Bell Says Reds Lost at Vienna
Dillard Students Praised for Work

YMBC speech

March 12, 1960  S3-P2

Protest March's Leader Attended Festival -- [Leander H.] Perez

protest at Dillard

Ernest Kinchen attended Vienna Youth Festival

Perez speaking as lawyer for the Citizens Council of Greater N.O.

Andrew, John A.
The other side of the sixties : young Americans for
freedom and the rise of conservative politics / John
A. Andrew III.
New Brunswick, N.J. : Rutgers University Press, c1997.

p. 66

"Born March 23, 1938 in Long Beach, California, [Douglas] Caddy
attended high school first in Houston, Texas and then
in New Orleans, where he graduated in 1956. Caddy had
admired Senator Joseph McCarthy, circulated petitions
supporting McCarthy's efforts in New Orleans while a
sophomore in high school, and was an inveterate writer
of letters to the editor in support of such
conservative causes as the Bricker Amendment. He later
became a volunteer worker for Phoebe and Kent
Courtney's early publication, Free Men Speak, which
grew out of that petition drive."

Caddy, Hunt and Watergate:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/watergate/articles/062172-1.htm

There's a mention of Bell in the Davy book.

Jerry Shinley
·
Jake_Sykes
Jake_Sykes

Sun 12 Nov 2017, 3:00 pm
I like this one for being a dead ringer for the barber's description:

star wars trilogy at the barbers 8180-1744-0

Dark blond hair, almost brown, not just a round face, but broad, and so on. Eyes not blue but blue can turn darker after age 14, I checked. With the darker hair, he was a prime candidate for eye color change.

So, that's a bingo. Perfect fit. The barber's credibility is every bit as good as a neighborhood cop walking his beat. They know who's local just by a glance and they know how to note a good description. Plus a barber's eye could well be superior to that of the average beat cop when noting specific facial characteristics.

But the FBI didn't see what they didn't want to see, and they didn't want to see ambiguous activity percolating around Oswald before the assassination. They had their man and lone nuts don't do stuff that make people ask more questions. Lone nuts do stuff that simply make people hate them for being commies.

Amazing research Greg. Learning much from it.

Admin

Sun 12 Nov 2017, 4:28 pm
As Alan Dale said to me, in 1963, kids were seen and not heard around adults and especially did not voice adult-like opinions on economics and politics. 

I agree and I doubt there were too many kids in Dallas, let alone Irving, who could have made intelligent-sounding arguments around those issues, or who would have dared do it, even if they could. 

What I would love to see is Ruth Paine on the witness stand being cross-examined as a hostile witness around this and other issues.

I also wonder if Tommy Lee Jones would be willing to talk about St Marks?

Last edited by greg parker on Sun 12 Nov 2017, 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Me

Don Jeffries

greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Sun 12 Nov 2017, 4:30 pm
Jake Sykes wrote:I like this one for being a dead ringer for the barber's description:

star wars trilogy at the barbers 8180-1744-0

Dark blond hair, almost brown, not just a round face, but broad, and so on. Eyes not blue but blue can turn darker after age 14, I checked. With the darker hair, he was a prime candidate for eye color change.

So, that's a bingo. Perfect fit. The barber's credibility is every bit as good as a neighborhood cop walking his beat. They know who's local just by a glance and they know how to note a good description. Plus a barber's eye could well be superior to that of the average beat cop when noting specific facial characteristics.

But the FBI didn't see what they didn't want to see, and they didn't want to see ambiguous activity percolating around Oswald before the assassination. They had their man and lone nuts don't do stuff that make people ask more questions. Lone nuts do stuff that simply make people hate them for being commies.

Amazing research Greg. Learning much from it.
Thanks Jake. Don't recall coming across that pic, but he llooks than he does in a lot of other photos, I agree, it's the best match, And thanks also for the extra research on eye color change!

Me

Don Jeffries

greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Sun 12 Nov 2017, 4:55 pm
James K. Olmstead wrote:Greg: Jerry had access to a great deal of newspaper
articles of interest. This is one that I had saved, dealing with the 1958-59 period.  I keep things in odd
places and files, not sure how far back you want to go.

Subject: New Orleans and the 1959 World Youth Festival in Vienna
Date: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 12:05 PM

In 1959, a New Orleans man, Richard C. Bell, in conjunction
with a Chicago group, organized a group of students to attend
the 1959 World Youth Conference in Vienna. His plans attracted
opposition from the local American Legion, especially Kent Courtney,
Festus Brown and James Pfister. The Legion organized a Free
Enterprise Seminar "to alert local college students to the dangers
involved in attending the communist-sponsored World Youth Festival
in Vienna." Speakers at the seminar include Guy Banister, Medford
Evans and Douglas Caddy. Bell and his group did make it to Vienna.

New Orleans Times-Picayune  March 5, 1958  P41

Soviet Students Draft Exempt

Richard C. Bell, speech before Exchange Club

Bell visited 6th World Youth Festival in Moscow last
August as a state dept. observer

says best method of relieving tensions is further interchange
of travel and students

[Re: Moscow festival, see Morris and Mollie Block in HSCA
defector study:
http://www.geocities.com/jfkinfo4/jfk12/defector.htm#block ]

May 7, 1958  P22

Foreign Policy [Association] Leaders Named
Mellin Chosen Head of N.O. Association

some FPA board members: Eberhard Deutsch, Richard Bell, Clay Shaw,
Rabbi Feibelman

[time passes...]

May 7, 1959  P38

N.O. Delegation Going to Vienna
Group Will Attend World Youth Festival

Richard C. Bell, southern director American Youth Festival
Organization

jazz band "The Last Straws"

May 9, 1959  P35

Plan to Attend Festival is Hit
To Be Use for Propaganda Aims - [American] Legion

Kent Courtney vs. Richard Bell

May 14, 1959  S2-P19

Foreign Policy Group Elects

FPA, Robert D. Hess, pres.

Richard Bell, Jesse Core, Clay Shaw

May 21, 1959  S1-P26

Legion to Warn of Red Festival
Louisiana Youths to Get Facts on Event

Festus J. Brown, Kent Courtney

May 31, 1959  S1-P24

'Free Enterprise Seminar' Nears

June 6

Festus Brown
  Kent Courtney
  W. Guy Banister
  Medford Evans
  George Schulz
  Douglas Caddy, "Human Events"

want all young people planning to go to Vienna Festival to attend

June 5, 1959  S1-P11

Youth Seminar Speaker Named

Medford Evans

"to alert local college students to the dangers involved in
attending the communist-sponsored World Youth Festival in Vienna."

June 7, 1959  S1-P12

Hope Incentive Hailed by Evans
Free Enterprise Seminar Hears Professor

Dr. Medford Evans

Guy Banister on "Aesopian Language"

Douglas Caddy

June 18, 1959  S2-P6

Vienna Festival Motion Passed
YMBC Favors Individual Students Attending

Festus Brown opposed

Ivor Trapolin supported

June 21 1959  S2-P4

Views of Readers - Seminar Results
by James H. Pfister

Free Enterprise Seminar

100 attendees Vienna Youth Festival

some Tulane students changed mind about attending

July 19, 1959  S3-P13

Vienna Youth Rally Seen as Red Sounding Board

Vienna (AP)

Gloria Steinem, Leonard Bebchick

Independent Service for Information on the Vienna Youth Fest.

http://www.pir.org/steinem.html

July 25, 1959  S1-P7

Legion Opposes Youth Festival

James Pfister, Festus Brown

"anyone attending will aid the communist cause"

July 28, 1959  S1-P8

17 Orleanians at Youth Rally
Hope to 'Sell America,' Says Richard Bell

American Youth Festival Organization, Chicago

Ernest Kinchen

July 28, 1959  S1-P8

Austria Youth Ask Lama's Aid
Anti-Reds in Drive on Youth Festival

Vienna(UPI)

Dalai Lama

July 30, 1959  S2-P2

Exhibit Taken to Festival by N.O. Group Refused
Red Officials at Vienna Claim Lack of Space

Richard Bell, jazz band

Aug 2, 1959  S1-P1

Group from City Fights Communism with Jazz
Plays Dixieland Music at Youth Festival

Vienna(AP)

Richard C. Bell, Ernest Kinchen, Charles Jones

Aug 3, 1959  S1-P8

Anti-Red Roughed up in Youth Festival Parade
Slogans Stirs Anger of Pro-Communists

Vienna(AP)

Aug 4, 1959  S1-P3

[Paul] Robeson Says Policy 'Fascist'
Singer Sees Good in Visit by Nixon

Vienna(AP)

Richard Bell had quit festival in protest of beatings of
American delegates

Aug 5, 1959  S1-P11

Youth Festival in Vienna Ends
No Decisive Victory for Either East to West

Vienna(AP)

Aug 21, 1959  S2-P2

Youth Festival Activities Told
Bell Relates Orleanians' Part in 'Unsuccess'

Sept 10, 1959  S1-P19

Bell Says Reds Lost at Vienna
Dillard Students Praised for Work

YMBC speech

March 12, 1960  S3-P2

Protest March's Leader Attended Festival -- [Leander H.] Perez

protest at Dillard

Ernest Kinchen attended Vienna Youth Festival

Perez speaking as lawyer for the Citizens Council of Greater N.O.

Andrew, John A.
The other side of the sixties : young Americans for
freedom and the rise of conservative politics / John
A. Andrew III.
New Brunswick, N.J. : Rutgers University Press, c1997.

p. 66

"Born March 23, 1938 in Long Beach, California, [Douglas] Caddy
attended high school first in Houston, Texas and then
in New Orleans, where he graduated in 1956. Caddy had
admired Senator Joseph McCarthy, circulated petitions
supporting McCarthy's efforts in New Orleans while a
sophomore in high school, and was an inveterate writer
of letters to the editor in support of such
conservative causes as the Bricker Amendment. He later
became a volunteer worker for Phoebe and Kent
Courtney's early publication, Free Men Speak, which
grew out of that petition drive."

Caddy, Hunt and Watergate:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/watergate/articles/062172-1.htm

There's a mention of Bell in the Davy book.

Jerry Shinley
·
A keeper!

Me

Don Jeffries

StanDane
StanDane
https://prayermanleeharveyoswald.blogspot.com/

Sun 12 Nov 2017, 6:11 pm
Found William Hootkins in the St. Mark's School of Texas yearbook for 1963 when he was a freshman and 1966 when he was a senior.

star wars trilogy at the barbers Bill%20Hootkins%2063

star wars trilogy at the barbers William%20Hootkins
StanDane
StanDane
https://prayermanleeharveyoswald.blogspot.com/

Sun 12 Nov 2017, 6:32 pm
The scene in Star Wars with William Hootkins playing the role of Jek Porkins:

greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Sun 12 Nov 2017, 11:08 pm
Stan Dane wrote:Found William Hootkins in the St. Mark's School of Texas yearbook for 1963 when he was a freshman and 1966 when he was a senior.

star wars trilogy at the barbers Bill%20Hootkins%2063

star wars trilogy at the barbers William%20Hootkins
Stan! That's our boy!

And you are kidding? Boris Gudunov???

Oswald allegedly went to see this opera in NO with Palmer McBride. Trouble is, he claimed it was in Oct 1957 - impossible of course because Oswald was in the Marines by then and Armstrong claims he found evidence it only played in 1957, not the previous year. If McBride and Oswald watched it though - it had to be 1956. 

Gudunov was suspected of regicide, and one of the characters is named Marina... oh, and the Catholic Church looms large.

I bet young Master Hootkins loved singing the chorus during his time in Irving...

This is no case breaker... but it does open up fissures that can be hammered away at. 

GET ME RUTH ON THE STAND AND PUT ME IN FRONT OF HER.

Me

Don Jeffries

greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Mon 13 Nov 2017, 8:30 am
Have done some checking because I was wondering how two kids - even if earning some picket money as runners for a dental lab, could afford opera tickets. Did a search on opera tickets from 1956 and only found one - cost was $8.00 (by comparison, it was $3.00 to see Bill Haley and the Comets that year).  $8.00 was a week's rent for Oswald in 1963, so I don't see him being able to pay that in 1956 for an opera ticket. 

This info about seeing the opera is in no records. It was apparently only told to Armstrong when he interviewed McBride. Either McBride went to the opera with someone else in 1957, or he went with Oswald in 1956 to an amateur production with a modest ticket price.

Me

Don Jeffries

greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Fri 17 Nov 2017, 4:33 pm
star wars trilogy at the barbers 23666360_1631162140239447_179008450_n

Hootins in the 4th row second from left. Me in the 3rd row, fist on left/

Courtesy Phil Hopley.

Me

Don Jeffries

greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Sun 05 Jun 2022, 11:07 pm
greg_parker wrote:Star Wars Trilogy
Cliff Shasteen owned and operated an Irving barbershop. He employed two or three others; got to know all the locals, includes kids, if not by name then at least by sight or reputation. For example, he knew Ruth Paine by sight, and knew the car she drove.  Like all barbers, he had an opinion on everything, but tried to discourage talk on politics and religion as being bad for business.

Prior to cutting hair, Shasteen had, during the Korean War, been a security informant at Chance Vought when the company had a major military contract for the F4U Corsair Fighter plane.

If you wanted to stage a little vignette in Irving to help create a certain impression and ensure that this impression would be made known, Shasteen was your man.
And so it was, Shasteen claimed to have cut Oswald’s hair on a number of occasions in October and November 1963 and perhaps on one occasion earlier in the year. On two of those occasions Oswald was accompanied by a 14 or 15 year old boy who never got his hair cut or said anything. 

Then the boy appeared a few days before the assassination on his own, got a cut and began a dialogue on the benefits of one world government, and the plight of the “have nots” in society as it is. Shasteen blew a fuse. He found what was coming out of this kid’s mouth so surprising and disturbing that he asked how old he was (he would later tell one his barbers, Bert Glover that he recalled the kid said either 14 or 15). He later tried to find out who he was, without success. What he did know was the kid was not a local Irving kid.

The fact that this happened so close to the assassination, the fact that the boy never said anything until he was there on his own, the fact that he never returned and the fact that the FBI showed no more than token interest, all point to this being a play for an unsuspecting, but targeted audience.

And the boy’s identity only adds further fuel to that fire.

To discover his identity, I simply searched through the records looking for someone the right age who had known or at least possible access to Oswald in the time frame given.

Based on those parameters there was only one candidate and as it happens, he matched the description given by Shasteen perfectly.

That description was
a husky kid, he wasn't what you call fat, but he was strong--broad-shouldered--he had a real full, and when I say full, I don't mean a round fat face, he was a wide-faced kid. You know, he was a nice-looking kid. I mean, if he had had the personality and the teaching and the understanding to go with his looks, he could have done anything he wanted to do, but his personality to me made him look terrible and what he thought, and naturally when somebody disagrees with you to the point you get angry with them, you don't think much of their looks, but if you bring it down to his looks, he was blue-eyed, blonde-headed--he was not a light blonde he was a dark blonde. In fact, a lot of. people might call him brown-headed. But he wasn't nobody's dummy because a 14-year-old boy can't spit out-

Or to shorten that, he was a nice-looking, wide-faced kid with broad shoulders, blue eyes and dark-blonde hair who was extremely intelligent and well-spoken.

Who potentially, had access to Oswald during this period and fit that description?

Ruth Paine’s sole private Russian language student, William Hootkins.  Note that Hootkins had turned 15 in July 1963.

star wars trilogy at the barbers William+Hootkins

William Hootkins as an adult. The round face, broad shoulders and hair color are all evident

Ruth had been a fill-in Russian language teacher at St Marks, a prestigious school for the elite of Dallas, after which she had come to an arrangement with the school to tutor students privately, but using the school facilities. Thus, Ruth was supposed to pick young Hootkins up at his home, drive him to St. Marks for the one-on-one lessons, then take him home.

It appears however, that Ruth was picking William up and taking him to Irving instead. 

Hootkins’ acting career began at St Marks, along with Tommy Lee Jones.  It was a career which took him all the way to a part in Star Wars during an illustrious career as a character actor.  It appears though that his star turn in the barber shop was his first public acting gig. Either William was practicing as a provocateur or infiltrator, or he was smearing Oswald as a communist by association.

Firstly, on the face of it, the then high school student had no need of paid private tuition from the likes of Ruth since he was of White Russian heritage and should have been able to access the help of native speakers.

Secondly, His father, Seymour Hootkins, was in the oil and gas business and was a financial contributor to Republican Party candidates such as Sam Johnson, Ray Farrell, David Hobbs, Paul Pilzer and Joe Barton. Looking at the backgrounds of these politicians, most were/are on the hard right and some attended St Marks and/or SMU. Seymour did not exactly bring young William up to be a Utopian Warrior.

St Mark’s may also hold a clue. The assistant head master at St Mark’s was Edward Oviatt. Prior to then he had worked at Williams College in Williamstown, Massachusetts.

The Williams College newspaper ran a story in 1954 about a secretive anti-communist student organization known as Students for America

star wars trilogy at the barbers Students+for+America+clipping

This story obviously does not disclose whether Williams College had a chapter, but Oviatt worked there at the time of this story, and the name Robert Munger (the name of the organization's founder) is a famous one in Dallas, though I have not found any connection between this Munger and the extremely wealthy Cotton Gin founder of the same name. Perhaps someone can look into it, or better still, find confirmation that the school was - or was not - one of Munger’s 120.

Munger’s organization was formed in 1951 and was originally known as Students for MacArthur. The 120 campuses claimed by Munger to have a chapter did include high schools.   

Though Students for America was virturally defunct by the end of the 1950s, there is every chance it was replaced by a similar group. 

The FBI knew all about Ruth's teaching. Hosty himself went to St Mark's pre and post-assassination, the former ostensibly to do a background checks on Ruth, the latter checking into the Hootkins’ lessons.  That no one in the FBI put Hootkins together with Shasteen’s worrisome kid, beggars belief.  In fact, it raises the question of whether the FBI itself was somehow involved in this affair.

Other bits and pieces:
Recall that Shasteen was very impressed by the kid’s intelligence. After leaving St Mark’s, young Bill studied astro-physics and Mandarin at Princeton.

Hootkins was good friends with Martin Sheen, despite serious differences over Israel and Palestine.

Hootkins played a role in a BBC radio play: Oswald in Russia.

In her Warren Commission testimony, Ruth Paine described the entry of Hootkins’ contact details in her address book as being of just “mild significance” before cutting Jenner off regarding the phone number and giving him the “move-on-to-the-next-name” treatment.

As alluded to earlier, the FBI investigation of the kid in the barbershop was token. It consisted of asking Ruth Paine if she had any idea about who it was. Her recorded response was classic Ruth. The FBI report reads “she has no child even as old as school age and knows of no boy of about 14 with whom Oswald was ever associated in the neighborhood. " A true but misleading statement indeed because Hootkins was not from that neighborhood. The document continues onto the next page where she again denies ever allowing Oswald to take her car by himself anywhere. In Ruth-speak this could have one of at least two alternative meanings (a) that she did allow him to take her car so long as he had another person with him, or (b) it was husband Michael who gave him the permission. The lesson is that in questioning a Quaker, you should leave no wiggle room for such misleading responses.

Talk with Alan Dale here https://www.jfkconversations.com

#Paine

Me

Don Jeffries

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum