» Kent Courtney
Fri 02 Dec 2016, 11:47 pm by Hasan Yusuf

» a ramble in and around Pine St, NO
Fri 02 Dec 2016, 11:45 pm by Hasan Yusuf

» Anatomy Of A Second Floor Encounter
Fri 02 Dec 2016, 11:01 pm by barto

I forgot my password

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Furl  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Affiliates
free forum

Anyone fluent in Spanish?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone fluent in Spanish?

Post by greg parker on Mon 27 Jan 2014, 5:00 pm

I have used Microsoft Translator to translate part one of the manuscript into Spanish since it deals entirely with Colombia.

I need a volunteer to check some random passage. If it's passable, I want to look at putting it out separately, as I believe a lot of people in Latin America would be interested in the subject. It would however, still remain Part one of Lee Harvey Oswald's Cold War.

Title for the Spanish book will be "Un Flaco Con Ojos de Loco" which is what the press of the day dubbed a second man seen a few times with the patsy in the Gaitan case - including at the time of the assassination. 

Out to where the van is waiting
I'm looking for the Great Leap Forward

Billy Bragg
-----------------------------
 Australians don't mind criminals: It's successful bullshit artists we despise. 
             Lachie Hulme            
The Cold War ran on bullshit.
              Me

greg parker
Admin

View user profile http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXOA5ZK/ref=s9_simh_

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone fluent in Spanish?

Post by Guest on Wed 14 May 2014, 3:42 am

I am Spanish, Greg. If you need some translating done I'll have a go at it.

Back to top Go down

Post by greg parker on Wed 14 May 2014, 8:07 am

Paul Klein wrote:I am Spanish, Greg. If you need some translating done I'll have a go at it.
Thanks Paul. Much appreciate it.

Just a couple of random passages followed by the windows translation:

------------------------
Apart from smuggling, the SIS was tasked with rounding up German, Japanese and Italian citizens for deportation to their country of origin, or internment within the US.  It was, with no thought to disguising intentions, known as the Latin American Internment Program, and it was administered through the State Department.

Aparte de contrabando, el SIS tuvo la tarea de reunir a los ciudadanos alemanes, japoneses e italianos para la deportación a su país de origen, o de internamiento en los Estados Unidos.  Fue, sin pensar para disfrazar las intenciones, conocidas como el programa de internamiento de América Latina, y fue administrado por el Departamento de estado.
-------------------------
As all this played out, Gabriel Garcia Marquez arrived at the scene and later reported in his memoirs that he had witnessed a tall, well dressed individual who was “very much in control of himself” inciting the mob to break through the gated doorway and seize the suspect from his police captors to exact revenge. Marquez later observed the same man being picked up in a new car as the suspect’s beaten and bloody corpse was being dragged away. 

Como todo esto agotado, Gabriel García Márquez llegó a la escena y luego divulgado en sus memorias que fue testigo de un hombre alto, individuo bien vestido que estaba "muy bien en control de sí mismo" incitar a la mafia para atravesar la puerta cerrada y aprovechar al sospechoso de sus captores de policía para vengarse. Márquez observó más tarde el mismo hombre siendo recogido en un coche nuevo como cadáver golpeado y ensangrentado el sospechoso estaba siendo arrastrada.

--------------------------

Are you able to tell me how well windows has translated those passages?

Billy Bragg
             Lachie Hulme            
              Me

greg parker
Admin

View user profile http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXOA5ZK/ref=s9_simh_

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 14 May 2014, 2:58 pm

greg parker wrote:
Paul Klein wrote:I am Spanish, Greg. If you need some translating done I'll have a go at it.

------------------------
Apart from smuggling, the SIS was tasked with rounding up German, Japanese and Italian citizens for deportation to their country of origin, or internment within the US.  It was, with no thought to disguising intentions, known as the Latin American Internment Program, and it was administered through the State Department.

Aparte de contrabando, el SIS tuvo la tarea de reunir a los ciudadanos alemanes, japoneses e italianos para la deportación a su país de origen, o de internamiento en los Estados Unidos.  Fue, sin pensar para disfrazar las intenciones, conocidas como el programa de internamiento de América Latina, y fue administrado por el Departamento de estado.
As all this played out, Gabriel Garcia Marquez arrived at the scene and later reported in his memoirs that he had witnessed a tall, well dressed individual who was “very much in control of himself” inciting the mob to break through the gated doorway and seize the suspect from his police captors to exact revenge. Marquez later observed the same man being picked up in a new car as the suspect’s beaten and bloody corpse was being dragged away. 

Como todo esto agotado, Gabriel García Márquez llegó a la escena y luego divulgado en sus memorias que fue testigo de un hombre alto, individuo bien vestido que estaba "muy bien en control de sí mismo" incitar a la mafia para atravesar la puerta cerrada y aprovechar al sospechoso de sus captores de policía para vengarse. Márquez observó más tarde el mismo hombre siendo recogido en un coche nuevo como cadáver golpeado y ensangrentado el sospechoso estaba siendo arrastrada.

It is reasonably translated, Greg, but I'll tweak it a little tonight when I have some time and try and enhance it a bit more for you. I'll try and recover whats lost in the Windows translation.

Back to top Go down

Post by greg parker on Wed 14 May 2014, 3:05 pm

Paul Klein wrote:
greg parker wrote:

------------------------

It is reasonably translated, Greg, but I'll tweak it a little tonight when I have some time and try and enhance it a bit more for you. I'll try and recover whats lost in the Windows translation.
Thanks Paul.

Billy Bragg
             Lachie Hulme            
              Me

greg parker
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 14 May 2014, 8:06 pm

This is the best I can do, Greg. It wouldn't surprise me if these passages were initially translated to Spanish from English or some other language source. They appear to be disjointed and have very little or basic form. I've tried to be as faithful as possible without taking any liberties so you could see that. The Spanish word "como" can be used to mean "how',"what","like" and "as". In the Marquez passage, "como" is used twice with no real grammatical context. The word seems to be lumped into their sentences to mean any one of its meanings. Its not specific
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more done.

As all this played out, Gabriel Garcia Marquez arrived at the scene and later revealed his memory of witnessing a tall man, a well dressed individual who was “very much in control of himself”, inciting the mafia/mob to break through the locked door and take advantage of the suspect, away from his police captors, to exact revenge. Marquez later observed the same man being picked up in a new car as a beaten and bloodied corpse, the suspect was being dragged away.

Apart from smuggling contraband, the SIS had the job of rounding up German, Japanese and Italian citizens for deportation to their country of origin, or for internment in the United States. It was, without any thought to disguising its intentions, known as the Latin American Internment Program, and it was administered by the State Department.

Back to top Go down

Post by greg parker on Wed 14 May 2014, 8:31 pm

Paul Klein wrote:This is the best I can do, Greg. It wouldn't surprise me if these passages were initially translated to Spanish from English or some other language. They appear to be disjointed and have very little or basic form. I've tried to be as faithful as possible without taking any liberties so you could see that. The Spanish word "como" can be used to mean "how',"what","like" and "as". In the Marquez passage, "como" is used twice with no real grammatical context. The word seems to be lumped into their sentences to mean all of its meanings.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more done.

As all this played out, Gabriel Garcia Marquez arrived at the scene and later revealed his memory of witnessing a tall man, a well dressed individual who was “very much in control of himself”, inciting the mafia/mob to break through the locked door and take advantage of the suspect, away from his police captors, to exact revenge. Marquez later observed the same man being picked up in a new car as a beaten and bloodied corpse, the suspect was being dragged away.

Apart from smuggling contraband, the SIS had the job of rounding up German, Japanese and Italian citizens for deportation to their country of origin, or for internment in the United States. It was, without any thought to disguising its intentions, known as the Latin American Internment Program, and it was administered by the State Department.

Paul,

I've think you've captured the essence.

But I do need to apologize for not being clear enough.

The passages were originally in English and taken from my book. I had the idea that since the first third of the book was about Colombia, I should think about hiving it off, translating it to Spanish and putting it out as a "stand-alone" work for mainly a Latin American market. However, when I looked at translating services, the cost was prohibitive. I then read about how advanced (that is to say, "accurate") online translation software has become and thought I would try and translate it all into Spanish using the Windows translator. The next step was getting someone to check a couple of random passages to see how well it matched the meaning of the original English versions. It seems though, that the quality is probably not quite good enough to go ahead and use for an entire (albeit short) book.

Billy Bragg
             Lachie Hulme            
              Me

greg parker
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 15 May 2014, 5:23 am

You were clear in your OP, Greg, and I was ignorant of what you actually requested and assumed otherwise. Nevermind. I must get off my meds before I hop on the forum.
In any case, if you ever need translating services for translated English to Spanish and back to English or... just simple Spanish to English let me know. I'd be more than happy to help out.
Cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:23 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top