REOPENKENNEDYCASE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ROKC IS NOW CLOSED AND IS READ ONLY. WE THANK THOSE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED US OVER THE LAST 14 YEARS.

Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
Brian says...Sat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 pmEd.Ledoux
last drinks before the bar closesSat 30 Dec 2023, 2:46 pmTony Krome
The Mystery of Dirk Thomas KunertSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:23 pmTony Krome
Vickie AdamsSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:14 pmgreg_parker
Busted again: Tex ItaliaSat 30 Dec 2023, 9:22 amEd.Ledoux
The Raleigh CallSat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 ambarto
Was Oswald ever confronted with the physical rifle?Sat 30 Dec 2023, 12:03 amCastroSimp
Who Dat? Fri 29 Dec 2023, 10:24 pmTony Krome
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website
Keywords

+Lankford  Humor  Mason  beckley  9  4  3  2  Lifton  frazier  fritz  paine  Theory  tippit  hosty  Weigman  Lankford  zapruder  tsbd  3a  11  doyle  Darnell  Floor  David  prayer  

Like/Tweet/+1

The Dallas Murder Mystery Club

+4
StanDane
Hasan Yusuf
Frankie Vegas
greg_parker
8 posters
Go down

The Dallas Murder Mystery Club Empty The Dallas Murder Mystery Club

Fri 23 May 2014, 9:00 pm
The Dallas Murder Mystery Club

Each of us lives in a city or town that will have many hundreds of people who are interested in this case in some form or another.  The idea outlined below makes an assumption that we can attract a small percentage of them to meet once a month.

Having been a long standing member of The Sons of the Desert (the Laurel & Hardy Appreciation Society) for a couple of decades I have direct experience of how committed groups of people can be when they come together in person and rally around an interest that excites and intrigues them.

My proposal is for each of us to start a chapter of The Dallas Murder Mystery Club.  A club that would meet monthly and its members would be introduced to the problematic evidence of the case and the reasons why the official investigation was completely and utterly wrong.

Each chapter’s very first club meeting will take place on the very same day all around the world with a well-defined and orchestrated launch.  Subsequent meetings will also coincide on the same day.

The structure of each meeting will be identical in every single chapter.  The talks and presentations will be put together by a small group of us using PowerPoint/Keynote and they will be sent out to chapter Directors.  Information relevant to the presentation will be handed out and members will be put into working groups after the presentation to further understand why the information in the presentation is accurate.

Materials could include:

• Witness testimony segments
  • FBI/CIA/Secret Service/Dallas Police reports
  • Photographs
  • Diagrams

Each presentation will be easy to understand, informative, and creative in its approach and design.  We keep it simple.  The first twelve meetings will be designed and rubber stamped by a select group of us (voted onto a panel) before any meetings are scheduled and advertised.

Initial ideas for meeting topics could be:

• Assassination Motives
  • Assassination Mechanics
  • Assassination Witnesses
  • Assassination Folklore
  • Assassination Cover-Up
  • Assassination Documents
  • Lee Oswald’s Life
  • Lee Oswald’s Arrest
  • Lee Oswald’s Murder
  • Warren Commission Lies
  • HSCA Lies
  • The JFK Act

Each club meeting would last approximately 2.5 hours.  The initial presentation that starts each monthly meeting lasting no more than thirty minutes and is followed by a twenty minute Q&A. 

Following the opening hour we could introduce some audio-video segments from the library of resources available to us to help us hammer home our points from the initial presentation.  Segments could include filmed interviews with witnesses, short segments from Oliver Stone’s JFK, home movies from the actual day and days following, etc.  This would last twenty minutes.

The next hour would introduce a problem based upon the topic.  The full group would be split into smaller groups and they would be given a pack of evidence related to the problem.  This will include logistics/timings, maps, testimony, key witnesses, reports, photographs, statements, etc.  They are then to come up with a conclusion/answer to the problem based upon the available evidence.  There will be rules of evidence applied to its use.  There doesn’t have to be a consensus, but they will have to outline at the end the agreements they have as well as the disagreements.  They will be given an hour.

At the end of the hour they present their agreements/disagreements from the discussion to the other groups.  We would document this as a group and we can publish them on the DMMC webpage alongside all of the agreements and disagreements from other clubs around the world.  From this we can begin to establish what, if any, consensus exists amongst wide groups of individuals (hopefully from many different backgrounds) that we can publish and begin to understand on a different level.

Reading resources will be advised before the conclusion of the meeting based upon the meeting topic.

We finish on an audio recording segment of an appropriate JFK speech and all raise a glass…

Audio/visual presentation will run photographs of him and his brother.  Music playing – Thousands are Sailing by The Pogues.

End of meeting.  Each meeting ends the same way but with different speech and different photographs.  Perhaps a different song at the end of each meeting?

The entire project needs to have a mission statement and a defined and documented purpose.  Solving assassination related problems could be one main purpose.  Each member has to feel an emotional connection to the overall purpose – they have to feel important but we have to avoid at all costs any allusions to this being an activist group.  Nothing will scare people aware more than this.  Regardless of our own thoughts on the matter we have to understand other people’s fear at being labelled in way that they may feel uncomfortable.  This has to be a club – it has to be fun – it has to be a pastime – it has to be important – but not so important that people may believe they could get into trouble in any way by coming along.

Funding

The initial outlay of funding this would have to be taken by us as a group but the costs are minimal.  Mostly paper, printing, and time.  Many businesses related to the alcoholic drinks industry such as hotels, bars and public houses these days will, throughout the week, give a function room to parties in the hope that they will sell some beer.  Libraries are another option.  If initial costs do exist concerning materials we would, as individuals, have to find some way to absorb them but if we attract members then a nominal joining fee (£2, $4) per month could quickly begin to cover overheads.  We would therefore need treasurers for each club and an overall executive treasurer to publish finance figures and all associated activities.

Additional Thoughts

As with any club people can feel proud of being a member.  Buttons/badges could be issued and t-shirts could be sold to build extra revenue.  DMMC files and folder to hold paperwork could be sold.

The branding needs to be considered as a win-loss factor.  Great branding will be a win --- poor branding will lead to failure.

Coordination is vital to this proposal.  Passion when presenting is essential.  Sharing the member’s thoughts worldwide can create a real buzz and a feeling of being part of a worldwide initiative.  A DMMC forum can be created as part of the DMMC website.

Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and other social media platforms could be utilised for members.

Local media interest in our events could be pursued.  Advertisements for the club in local newspapers could be priced. 
A DMMC book could be published using information from the group’s agreements at the end of the first year.  E-publishing could be a considered option.  Any revenue of book is to be used in year two to build membership base of club.

Summary

This is a very basic outline of what would be a fascinating and exciting worldwide venture.  Getting something of this magnitude off the ground will take effort, willpower, determination, hard work and highly organised coordination.  The materials would take time to prepare but if prepared right, with a disciplined structure we can encourage members to be free thinking in helping themselves and others make sense of a very complicated case.

Fleshing out this proposal with specifics could be the next step.

It has to be a social occasion for people.  If we are expecting to individuals to use their spare time to come to this then it has to be fun. It has to lend itself to creating new friendships and associates.  It has to have a purpose and set objectives.  It has to be interesting.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Hello Goodbye on Sat 24 May 2014, 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin
http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXOA5ZK/ref=s9_simh_

The Dallas Murder Mystery Club Empty Re: The Dallas Murder Mystery Club

Fri 23 May 2014, 9:29 pm
This has a lot of merit. 

One problem I foresee would be keeping the online trolls and troublemakers out of it. We would need to consider how we vet people. 

As an initial starting point, a FB page could be put up outlining the main points that you've included here and asking who would be interested in establishing/joining such a club in their area. FB of course, has the advantage of covering the globe.

Once we have an idea on interest, we can start moving from there.

It will be a lot of work especially in setting it all up, but it is worth making every effort.

The Cold War ran on bullshit.
              Me

"So what’s an independent-minded populist like me to do? I’ve had to grovel in promoting myself on social media, even begging for Amazon reviews and Goodreads ratings, to no avail." 
Don Jeffries

"I've been aware of Greg Parker's work for years, and strongly recommend it." Peter Dale Scott

https://gregrparker.com

Sat 24 May 2014, 4:19 am
It sounds like a good idea but in the town I live in, I fear people wouldn't know who Lee Harvey Oswald was unless he played prop forward for the All Blacks or was a star Goal Shooter for the Silver Ferns. Plus if I introduced alcohol to proceedings (which is the only way I would get them to come) they'll piss it up big time. I thought Aussies could drink but these guys are in another league. I'd be interested in driving up to Auckland each month if this gets started up there where it has a chance. Nothing but dairy farmers and oil and gas drillers in this town of mine.
Frankie Vegas
Frankie Vegas

Sat 24 May 2014, 9:32 am
Paul Klein wrote:It sounds like a good idea but in the town I live in, I fear people wouldn't know who Lee Harvey Oswald was unless he played prop forward for the All Blacks or was a star Goal Shooter for the Silver Ferns. Plus if I introduced alcohol to proceedings (which is the only way I would get them to come) they'll piss it up big time. I thought Aussies could drink but these guys are in another league. I'd be interested in driving up to Auckland each month if this gets started up there where it has a chance. Nothing but dairy farmers and oil and gas drillers in this town of mine.

Oh look! A fellow Kiwi! I'm in Dunedin and was wondering about the same thing - maybe advertising at a local library? BYO wine? I have the added advantage of having a warm house in a cold city.

I think this is a great idea! I can imagine it going really well in the States. It's def something I would try.
Frankie Vegas
Frankie Vegas

Sat 24 May 2014, 9:34 am
I'm also happy to run the Facebook page.
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Sat 24 May 2014, 10:27 am
I would have similar problems to Paul. This is a farming and gold mining district. Paul is being a bit apples and orangy comparing the drinking habits of the Sydney burbs with a mining area in NZ. drunken   I serve the public all day. I'd estimate every third or fourth person I serve, regardless of age, has symptoms of alcoholic poisoning - mainly hand shakes. And not just the miners or cockies (farmers) that come in. It cuts across the spectrum - cops, doctors, legal eagles, tradesmen, laborers you name it.

If I tried to start a chapter here, I'd likely get the couple of old farts who come in and want to debate me about the Hickey-did-it theory. Maybe one or two others, but that's about it.

That said, I'm more than happy to help in any other way, and would also be happy to travel to Sydney occasionally if any chapters get set up there.

First things first though. we need to get volunteers willing to set up chapters in their areas, and the best way to do that quickly and on a large scale is through FB.

We need to make it clear as to what would be required and ask that no one make a commitment that they are not fully willing and able to meet. 

I'd be happy to get the ball rolling by setting up the page, unless someone else has a better alternative. Or someone else wants to put the FB page up. I can do it, but someone else may have better skills at it...

Me

"So what’s an independent-minded populist like me to do? I’ve had to grovel in promoting myself on social media, even begging for Amazon reviews and Goodreads ratings, to no avail." 
Don Jeffries

"I've been aware of Greg Parker's work for years, and strongly recommend it." Peter Dale Scott

Sat 24 May 2014, 2:00 pm
Frankie Vegas wrote:
Paul Klein wrote:It sounds like a good idea but in the town I live in, I fear people wouldn't know who Lee Harvey Oswald was unless he played prop forward for the All Blacks or was a star Goal Shooter for the Silver Ferns. Plus if I introduced alcohol to proceedings (which is the only way I would get them to come) they'll piss it up big time. I thought Aussies could drink but these guys are in another league. I'd be interested in driving up to Auckland each month if this gets started up there where it has a chance. Nothing but dairy farmers and oil and gas drillers in this town of mine.

Oh look! A fellow Kiwi! I'm in Dunedin and was wondering about the same thing - maybe advertising at a local library? BYO wine? I have the added advantage of having a warm house in a cold city.

I think this is a great idea! I can imagine it going really well in the States. It's def something I would try.
I am in Taranaki and I thought it was cold here till I met a farmer from Dunedin who told me to "harden up you Aussie poofter". True story.
I'd try it too if we could get the numbers, but probably not every month if it meant traveling too far now that you mentioned the cold. Not into Facebook but I'll have a drink with anybody who wants to get together for something like this. It'd be fun I reckon.
Frankie Vegas
Frankie Vegas

Sat 24 May 2014, 2:11 pm
Paul Klein wrote:
Frankie Vegas wrote:

I am in Taranaki and I thought it was cold here till I met a farmer from Dunedin who told me to "harden up you Aussie poofter". True story.
I'd try it too if we could get the numbers, but probably not every month if it meant traveling too far now that you mentioned the cold. Not into Facebook but I'll have a drink with anybody who wants to get together for something like this. It'd be fun I reckon.

It's crazy cold here. Once you get up North it's tropical. I remember the first time I moved up to Hamilton I could hardly stand the heat. Lol.
We have another one of us in Palmerston North and I bet there are a few more scattered around NZ, heaps of top guys in Australia, I reckon we should have an Austrailsian conference as well. Make those Americans buy it on DVD.  I'm a smartass &
Frankie Vegas
Frankie Vegas

Sat 24 May 2014, 2:13 pm
greg parker wrote:I would have similar problems to Paul. This is a farming and gold mining district. Paul is being a bit apples and orangy comparing the drinking habits of the Sydney burbs with a mining area in NZ. drunken   I serve the public all day. I'd estimate every third or fourth person I serve, regardless of age, has symptoms of alcoholic poisoning - mainly hand shakes. And not just the miners or cockies (farmers) that come in. It cuts across the spectrum - cops, doctors, legal eagles, tradesmen, laborers you name it.

If I tried to start a chapter here, I'd likely get the couple of old farts who come in and want to debate me about the Hickey-did-it theory. Maybe one or two others, but that's about it.

That said, I'm more than happy to help in any other way, and would also be happy to travel to Sydney occasionally if any chapters get set up there.

First things first though. we need to get volunteers willing to set up chapters in their areas, and the best way to do that quickly and on a large scale is through FB.

We need to make it clear as to what would be required and ask that no one make a commitment that they are not fully willing and able to meet. 

I'd be happy to get the ball rolling by setting up the page, unless someone else has a better alternative. Or someone else wants to put the FB page up. I can do it, but someone else may have better skills at it...

You make it, I help??
I think a page would be better than a group because it's much harder to keep the order in groups. With a page you can control the conversation much more easily.

Sat 24 May 2014, 2:25 pm
greg parker wrote:I would have similar problems to Paul. This is a farming and gold mining district. Paul is being a bit apples and orangy comparing the drinking habits of the Sydney burbs with a mining area in NZ. drunken   I serve the public all day. I'd estimate every third or fourth person I serve, regardless of age, has symptoms of alcoholic poisoning - mainly hand shakes. And not just the miners or cockies (farmers) that come in. It cuts across the spectrum - cops, doctors, legal eagles, tradesmen, laborers you name it.

Greg, over here they'd use apples and oranges to make home brew that would power the space shuttle. I got sick just sniffing some I was offered last week. I am strictly a cider man nowadays so I politely declined.
They're a good bunch here but like Frankie said, we'd need to ANZAC this to make it worthwhile. Even a once a year meeting would be awesome.
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Sat 24 May 2014, 3:33 pm
Paul Klein wrote:

Greg, over here they'd use apples and oranges to make home brew that would power the space shuttle. I got sick just sniffing some I was offered last week. I am strictly a cider man nowadays so I politely declined.
They're a good bunch here but like Frankie said, we'd need to ANZAC this to make it worthwhile. Even a once a year meeting would be awesome.
True story about an uncle (by marriage) who was a full-on no-holds-barred-alco (going back to the '60s here)... he'd just got out of jail and was pitching a swag when he came across a group of fellow-travelers holed up in a tunnel from the cold with a fire going. But the fire wasn't just to keep warm. They had a billy filled with battery acid and fat over the flames. As soon as it started bubbling, they took it off and waited for the fat to solidify on top and then skimmed it off. Apparently anything too dangerous gets trapped in the fat... they offered my uncle a try. He said he took a swig and two things happened. First... his hands went from shaking like Elvis's pelvis to dead straight and still... and the second thing was he heaved his heart out. The other guys responded to the heaving by telling him he couldn't have any more cos he was just wasting it.

The irony? My uncle's name was Johnny Drinkwater...

I'm happy to put a page up, but will wait to see what Lee thinks.

Me

Don Jeffries

Sat 24 May 2014, 3:56 pm
greg parker wrote:
Paul Klein wrote:

True story about an uncle (by marriage) who was a full-on no-holds-barred-alco (going back to the '60s here)... he'd just got out of jail and was pitching a swag when he came across a group of fellow-travelers holed up in a tunnel from the cold with a fire going. But the fire wasn't just to keep warm. They had a billy filled with battery acid and fat over the flames. As soon as it started bubbling, they took it off and waited for the fat to solidify on top and then skimmed it off. Apparently anything too dangerous gets trapped in the fat... they offered my uncle a try. He said he took a swig and two things happened. First... his hands went from shaking like Elvis's pelvis to dead straight and still... and the second thing was he heaved his heart out. The other guys responded to the heaving by telling him he couldn't have any more cos he was just wasting it.

Battery acid and fat over a fire. Who would have thought. Alco ingenuity. I felt like heaving myself after reading that. Hard men made by a hard life. I'd be dead if I tried that. Your uncle should have taken his names advice.

If something eventuates I'd be happy to tag along. Its not often I get to meet people who are interested in this case so I'd look forward to it. Its a good idea.
Hasan Yusuf
Hasan Yusuf
http://jfkthelonegunmanmyth.blogspot.com.au/

Sun 25 May 2014, 4:37 am
I think that Lee's got some very interesting ideas, but I honestly don't know what I'll be able to contribute.
Frankie Vegas
Frankie Vegas

Sun 25 May 2014, 12:02 pm
greg parker wrote:
Paul Klein wrote:

Whoa... Uncle Johnny is hard core!
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Sun 25 May 2014, 2:29 pm
Frankie Vegas wrote:
greg parker wrote:
Paul Klein wrote:

This was before marrying my aunt. She was part of a church group that visited prisoners and that's how she met him. Poor John's long gone, but my Aunt Irene is still here at 90+. Wish I could remember more of his stories. He was her second husband. She had 2 kids to her first husband. Husband No 1 was also a hard bastard. Her son from that marriage was killed in his 30s when he ran onto a busy street to save his dog being hit. Another hard bastard. Have no doubt he knew he'd probably be hit himself. He and my old man were locked up once for disturbing the peace after being involved in a pub brawl. The cops made the mistake of putting them in the same cell, cos they both still had too much fight in 'em and no one else to fight except each other. Or maybe that wasn't a mistake? Maybe they were put in together on purpose. Bloody cops. 

This is from the published memoirs of a local where my family is from:

Fishermen based on Dora Creek used to come into the bay and haul for mullet –the place was alive with them. Sometimes they would catch as many as 300 baskets of them. They could not send them all away, so they used to enclose them in wire netting and held in place by stakes and keep them alive until such time as they could send them to the Sydney markets by rail. Quite a number of the fish would die and a terrible smell would come from there so we called the place Stinking Point because of it. I remember one of the biggest fishing operators there was a family called Parker from Dora Creek. Some of their descendants are still there. Fishing was a big industry in the lake then, with about 350 fishermen in the area. Sharks were very plentiful. Quite often sharks were hauled in with the fish in the net, and if not caught they would go through the net and let the fish out. The older men of the Parker family would walk out among the fish with axes and kill the sharks.

Though the author says there were 350 professional fisherman on the lake, it is a bloody big lake and the area of it my family came from was poor and isolated. My family certainly never got rich - very large families and a propensity for giving away fish to even needier families made sure of that.  
---------------------------------
Lee,

I think most of us agree that DMMC is a damn good idea and the fact that a few of us have begged off starting a club shouldn't be the end of it. Those of us that have begged off have good reason. I think the FB page is the way to test out the viability. If we get good people putting their hand up, it's worth progressing. I don't want to go ahead and put up a page though, unless you're good with it.

Me

Don Jeffries

Frankie Vegas
Frankie Vegas

Sun 25 May 2014, 2:48 pm
greg parker wrote:
Frankie Vegas wrote:
greg parker wrote:
Paul Klein wrote:

This was before marrying my aunt. She was part of a church group that visited prisoners and that's how she met him. Poor John's long gone, but my Aunt Irene is still here at 90+. Wish I could remember more of his stories. He was her second husband. She had 2 kids to her first husband. Husband No 1 was also a hard bastard. Her son from that marriage was killed in his 30s when he ran onto a busy street to save his dog being hit. Another hard bastard. Have no doubt he knew he'd probably be hit himself. He and my old man were locked up once for disturbing the peace after being involved in a pub brawl. The cops made the mistake of putting them in the same cell, cos they both still had too much fight in 'em and no one else to fight except each other. Or maybe that wasn't a mistake? Maybe they were put in together on purpose. Bloody cops. 

This is from the published memoirs of a local where my family is from:

Fishermen based on Dora Creek used to come into the bay and haul for mullet –the place was alive with them. Sometimes they would catch as many as 300 baskets of them. They could not send them all away, so they used to enclose them in wire netting and held in place by stakes and keep them alive until such time as they could send them to the Sydney markets by rail. Quite a number of the fish would die and a terrible smell would come from there so we called the place Stinking Point because of it. I remember one of the biggest fishing operators there was a family called Parker from Dora Creek. Some of their descendants are still there. Fishing was a big industry in the lake then, with about 350 fishermen in the area. Sharks were very plentiful. Quite often sharks were hauled in with the fish in the net, and if not caught they would go through the net and let the fish out. The older men of the Parker family would walk out among the fish with axes and kill the sharks.

Though the author says there were 350 professional fisherman on the lake, it is a bloody big lake and the area of it my family came from was poor and isolated. My family certainly never got rich - very large families and a propensity for giving away fish to even needier families made sure of that.  
---------------------------------
Lee,

I think most of us agree that DMMC is a damn good idea and the fact that a few of us have begged off starting a club shouldn't be the end of it. Those of us that have begged off have good reason. I think the FB page is the way to test out the viability. If we get good people putting their hand up, it's worth progressing. I don't want to go ahead and put up a page though, unless you're good with it.

It's so great that you know all of that about your family history. Maybe you could ask Aunty for Uncle J's stories. Nana used to fix up Grandad's stories as he told them, she'd heard them so many times. I really regret not writing down any of his. He had some whoppers. Many of them weren't true, he told a lot of yarns, but his war stories were intense and amazing (and sometimes funny but mostly horrific and heart breaking), he was also left to drown by a cobber while out sailing and was left undiscovered and barely floating in the deep ocean for a few days. (He beat his mate lack and blue once he got back). And the time when he was a child and got caught stealing all of the free sample cereal out of people's mail boxes... I know them all, but I can't remember the details.

As for DMMC, I think it would go really well in Canada and the UK and the US. I would like to see something like that here. I also think that once it becomes a regular thing in some places and people are talking about it, more people will want to start something like that.
Hasan Yusuf
Hasan Yusuf
http://jfkthelonegunmanmyth.blogspot.com.au/

Mon 26 May 2014, 7:57 am
greg parker wrote:I think the FB page is the way to test out the viability

IMO, it's a great idea.
StanDane
StanDane
https://prayermanleeharveyoswald.blogspot.com/

Tue 27 May 2014, 5:17 am
The idea is a very good one. Create interest and involvement from the bottom up. Start a bunch of little fires and pretty soon, those little fires become bigger and eventually those higher on up feel the heat. Then, hopefully, you get attention and support from the top down which you ultimately need to accomplish anything.

I personally have had a tough time getting people to show up and stay involved in meetings.

Before I retired, I formed a business process management (BPM) consortium in my local area to pool and share knowledge and non-proprietary methods and tools with other local businesses, public and private. We held the monthly meetings in one of our choice, centrally located offices for convenience. We regularly featured special guest speakers and industry experts. We developed future agendas based upon attendee input.

There was much initial interest, but over time attendance waned. Even though we made it convenient, people seemed to have other priorities that would come up. Everybody liked the idea, but real life intruded, often at the last minute. The final meeting we held featured a top industry expert that we were happy to have hooked. We only had about 25% of the hoped-for attendance. After that we suspended the meetings because they didn't justify the work necessary to set them up. To my knowledge, they were never restarted after I retired.

My experience may be a bit apples to oranges (businesses as opposed to interest groups), but it's just my experience with these things. As an aside, several of the industry groups and consortiums I was part of used a lot of web meetings (e.g., WebEx) for their get-togethers, with less frequent meetings that required travel. I like the use of technology wherever possible.

Just some feedback on a very good idea.
TerryWMartin
TerryWMartin
http://martianpublishing.com

Tue 27 May 2014, 10:59 pm
I like the idea of the club though I have not joined any social or fraternal organization since the early 70's when I was a member of the Society of Creative Anachronism - scribe and herald to the court of the King of Atenveldt, huzzah! - but I think there are plenty of people who would like to know more about the case.

Another intriguing point about the case is that there is not just the one murder to solve, there were three over that weekend and they might be solved with connections or as separated events.

A Facebook page would be a must as well as perhaps a primary website from which materials could be downloaded by prospective group-formers to set up their own local club, then registering the local with the international HQ.

There are a lot of possibilities especially with the publication of local investigations on an international platform. That has to be a draw for any researcher.

TerryWMartin

Fri 30 May 2014, 10:40 pm
Although there have not been a boatload of people dashing in requests to start any local chapters of the Dallas Murder Mystery Club, everyone seems to think it is an excellent idea. This is a rather small forum and yet the topic has bled over into other threads.

from "Question for Anyone":
greg parker wrote:
...we still have the Dallas Murder Mystery Clubs. Despite a lack of enthusiasm from members for setting up local chapters, I think that it's an idea worth further thought. My own lack of enthusiasm is based on the sound knowledge that I would be subjecting myself to an hour or two of why and how "Hickey did it" every month. I'm just not that masochistic. Others have similar issues and or/time or other restraints. I hope Lee has not read this wrong. It's easy to get disheartened when you think your enthusiasm for an idea is not shared. The bottom line is that there are many many people in many many towns and cities who would take this idea up and make it work, and we need to find those people.

and from "Dispensing with the Fiction":
terlin wrote:
Stan Dane wrote:
terlin wrote:And I was just wondering if perhaps this might be the premise behind the Dallas Murder Mystery clubs? Trying to figure out the crime ONLY from the original evidence?

Just a thought.
What a concept. Treat it like a simple murder investigation and not tied in with the Grand Unified Theory of everything.

And to make it more interesting, there are three different - possibly unrelated - murders to be solved!!

Such excitement, what?

The research community is quite large and there are probably many who would like to have a chapter established in their region. There have been plenty of good ideas put forward toward the organization and support structure for promoting and operating such a vehicle. The concept is not just viable, it seems an exciting new venue that I have not seen tried before.

There would be a lot of groundwork to be completed before opening a webpage and offering memberships but I think what Lee has presented is a good foundation.

Should there be a committee set up to pound out a workable framework?

Albert Rossi

Fri 30 May 2014, 11:10 pm
My resistance to this idea is similar to Greg's, but worse.  The only people I know or circulate among are academics -- both humanities AND natural science.  Most of them believe that "conspiracy theorists" are cognitively impaired, or they follow the social science orthodoxy's appeal to Popper's views.  I have had many bitter arguments AND lost otherwise good friends over this.  I've stopped trying.
TerryWMartin
TerryWMartin

Fri 30 May 2014, 11:18 pm
There might be another angle to approach this as well, perhaps as a lead-in.

My first wife was an avid mystery reader and was member of a local Nero Wolfe club. I have heard there were similar clubs formed for fans of Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, and the Baker Street Irregulars, fans of Sherlock Holmes.

I remember a novel about Holmes' investigating the JFK assassination and there was a thread on EdForum about Rex Stout (Nero Wolfe's creator) interested in a new investigation although I do not believe Stout ever wrote Nero investigating the crime.

Regardless, everyone loves a mystery. Perhaps the case could be presented to the club for other detectives to see how they would investigate the thing - or rather how their detective would - and springboard this into the new mystery club: DMMC.

Some people, otherwise disinterested in the case, might get interested through their favorite detective plumbing the depths of the case.

Just another idea to bat around.

TerryWMartin

Fri 30 May 2014, 11:21 pm
Albert Rossi wrote:My resistance to this idea is similar to Greg's, but worse.  The only people I know or circulate among are academics -- both humanities AND natural science.  Most of them believe that "conspiracy theorists" are cognitively impaired, or they follow the social science orthodoxy's appeal to Popper's views.  I have had many bitter arguments AND lost otherwise good friends over this.  I've stopped trying.

Al,

I must have banged my head against the same wall for years before I, too, realized the futility of trying to reach those types. "Open-minded" is decidedly not in their operating system.

beowulf

Sat 31 May 2014, 1:09 am
The problem with the mystery club idea is democracy.
The people who would be most motivated to join will be those who passionately have a theory already. It will all too easy for the majority (or, for that matter, an insane minority) to insist the club focus on Harvey & Lee or pre-autopsy surgery or even something worse. I can't find it now (damn wish I had screen saved it) but I remember one forum thread where the "driver shot JFK" guy and the "Jackie shot JFK" guy were calling each other
nuts.
The danger of setting up a club then is you run a serious risk of it being hijacked by nuts and being publicly tied to whatever whackadoodle theory they are peddling.
TerryWMartin
TerryWMartin

Sat 31 May 2014, 2:20 am
beowulf wrote:The problem with the mystery club idea is democracy.
The people who would be most motivated to join will be those who passionately have a theory already. It will all too easy for the majority (or, for that matter, an insane minority) to insist the club focus on Harvey & Lee or pre-autopsy surgery or even something worse.  I can't find it now (damn wish I had screen saved it) but I  remember one forum thread where the "driver shot JFK" guy and the "Jackie shot JFK" guy were calling each other
nuts.
The danger of setting up a club then is you run a serious risk of it being hijacked by nuts and being publicly tied to whatever whackadoodle theory they are peddling.

Yes, I believe that's why Lee insisted each club meeting was to be pre-scripted in order to avoid hijacking. The psychophants of any particular theory might attempt it and then leave in disgust when they find it is not possible, or the local wimpy leader might just fold to that type of pressure... and lose their national license (or whatever).

The club would have to be run as un-democratically as possible.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum