REOPENKENNEDYCASE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ROKC IS NOW CLOSED AND IS READ ONLY. WE THANK THOSE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED US OVER THE LAST 14 YEARS.

Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
Brian says...Sat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 pmEd.Ledoux
last drinks before the bar closesSat 30 Dec 2023, 2:46 pmTony Krome
The Mystery of Dirk Thomas KunertSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:23 pmTony Krome
Vickie AdamsSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:14 pmgreg_parker
Busted again: Tex ItaliaSat 30 Dec 2023, 9:22 amEd.Ledoux
The Raleigh CallSat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 ambarto
Was Oswald ever confronted with the physical rifle?Sat 30 Dec 2023, 12:03 amCastroSimp
Who Dat? Fri 29 Dec 2023, 10:24 pmTony Krome
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website
Keywords

Humor  Floor  paine  fritz  3a  9  Darnell  11  +Lankford  prayer  2  Theory  zapruder  hosty  frazier  Lankford  3  David  doyle  tippit  Mason  beckley  4  Weigman  Lifton  tsbd  

Like/Tweet/+1

Go down
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 Empty Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing

Mon 19 Dec 2016, 9:56 pm
First topic message reminder :

Greg has mentioned Reverend Ray Rushing and his attempt to see Lee Oswald at DPD
And of course there was Colonel Rushing the Texas Civil Air Patrol Wing Commander '50-53

Are they related? Whom are they anyways?

The Rushings who settled in southern illinois, western Kentucky, and Tennessee came from Anson County, North Carolina. [/u]The Rushings in Anson County, North Carolina, seem to be very closely related, but working out the relationships between them is extremely difficult, particularly because there are so many William Rushings. I propose the following hypothesis. The Anson County Rushings seem to be descended from two near contemporary William Rushings. (A contemporary John Rushing lived near Thompson's Creek in the Chesterfield District of South Carolina.) To attempt to clarify the relationships I plotted probable locations of Rushing land grants and deeds. When this is done the Rushings fall into two subgoups. One group lived on Browns Creek near the present community of White Store, near Black Jack Creek. This group is associated with the elder and younger Joseph Whites in land grant and deed records. This group includes two Williams, Richard, Phillip, Soloman, and a John. The other group is found 5-10 miles farther south on Thompson's Creek, on the headwaters of Browns Creek, and on Little Browns Creek. This group includes two or more Williams, two or more Johns, a Mathew, Robert, Noah, and Abraham. They are associated in land grant and deed records with Benjamin Jackson and John Jackson. The breakdown is not exactly this simple, however, and some adjustments have to be made. Except for living near the southern Rushing group, Abraham is most closely tied to Richard, Solomon, and others in the northern group.
[/i]http://www.tnyesterday.com/families/rushing/illinois.html

Col. Emmet O. Rushing Texas Wing Commander

Past Wing CommandersCommander
...........................From .................To
D. Harold Byrd 01 Dec 1941 25 May 1948
Raymond L. Bowen 25 May 1948 13 Jun 1949
James L. Camp 13 Jun 1949 01 Aug 1950
Erwin J. Reeves (acting) 01 Aug 1950 09 Dec 1950 Emmett O. Rushing 09 Dec 1950 26 Feb 1953

IS IT Emmet or Emmett???
CAP amends minutes to reflect it is Emmett!
http://history.cap.gov/file/878

Doctor or Colonel?

This call for assistance was universally well received on the part of the attendees and thus was amended eight years later to simply “Friends of Acapulco”.
Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 1963-Ron-Lavender-300x284Dr. Emmet O. (Jack) Rushing was elected first president of the group. Marie Stalon who now resides in Dallas, was married to Doctor Jack for thirty years prior to his death. Marie, Emi Fors, Mary Jane Weldler and myself are, to the best of my knowledge, the only currently surviving founders of the group.

April 11, 1954
Joplin Globe from Joplin, Missouri · Page 9
Colonel Victor R. Freer of Joplin (standing, third from left) was among 10 air force officers representing Civil Air Patrol regions of the United States who met in San Juan, Puerto Rico, recently for the first of four quarterly meetings with General Carl A. Spaatz, chairman of the C. A. P. national executive board. Seated, left to right, in the above photograph are: Colonel William Joy of Grosse Point, Mich.; General Spaatz, retired air force chief of staff; General Lucas V. Beau, national commander of C. "A. P., and Colonel William C. Whelen. Standing, left to right, are: Colonel Daniel F. Boone, of Washington, D. C., Colonel Cord Meyer of New York City, Colonel Freer, Colonel Emmett Rushing of Lewisville, Tex., Colonel Roy St. Lewis of Washington, D. C., Colonel James T. Cranberry of Brentwood, Tenn., Colonel David S. Barter of Camden, S. C., and Colonel Willoughby G. Die of Portland, Ore. Colonel Freer, who is wing commander of C. A. P. in Missouri, represented the region made up of Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota and South Dakota. The board meets four times each year to inspect a different region of the C. A. P. It was the second time the board has met in Puerto Rico.
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/38522008/

Emmett Rushing

Born in Texas, USA on 1891 to Robert Asa Rushing and Ola Whiddon. Emmett married Pauline Munzenheimer and had a child. He passed away on Nov 1970 in Dallas, Texas, USA.

Emmett O Rushing
Birth: abt 1916 - location
Residence: 1930 - city, Dallas, Texas

Emmett O Rushing: Born in San Angelo, Texas, USA on 26 Jun 1915 to Dr. Emmett O. Rushing and Pauline Munzenheimer, Emmett O married Rebeca Lamb and had 4 children. He passed away on 16 Jul 1995 in Nacogdoches, Texas, USA.

Emmett got his BA in '13 and is student at John Hopkins,married Pauline Munzesheimer of Ft Worth TX.
https://books.google.com/books?id=inAyAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA657&lpg=PA657&dq=Emmet+O.+Rushing&source=bl&ots=mpRDo9gJqm&sig=D0EqKS_ox8MirvuyT9lvjV_aKQQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiP-8vE1__QAhXlrlQKHc5IDXMQ6AEIQTAH#v=onepage&q=Emmet%20O.%20Rushing&f=false

Emmett O Rushing entered the service in 1940, in Raleigh North Carolina where the Rushing clan was from. 
Served in Alaska.

Army / Enlistment Date: 07 Feb 1940 /Army Branch: None /
Army Component:Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
Army Serial Number: 06296008
Enlistment Place:Raleigh North Carolina
Enlistment Term: Enlistment for Alaska
https://www.fold3.com/page/83182045_emmett_o_rushing/details/

Child of Viola Whiddon and Robert Rushing is: Emmett O Rushing, born 1891 in Shelby County, Texas.
Notes for Emmett O Rushing: became an MD in Dallas
www.lanniewalker.com/scott/scott%20family%20tree.rtf

CAP Commanders Meet In Kerrville KERRVILE, Tex., Oct. 16 -UP--The two-day annual meeting of Civil Air Patrol commanders from the six-state southwestern region opens here Thursday with a number of rational CAP and Air Force officials scheduled to attend. Col. D. Harold Byrd of Dallas, regional commander, will preside at the business session Friday. A dinner Thursday night will honor national dignitaries, including Maj Gen. Lucas V. Beau of Washington national CAP commander. State commanders who will attend are Col. W. H. Shockey. Okla- loma City; Col. Lomax S. Anderson, Little Rock; Col. William D ^aas. New Orleans; Col. Charles EJoettcher IT. Denver. Col. Joe R. Jockery, Jackson. Miss., and Col Emmett O. Rushing. Dallas. Lt. Col. Lin Parker Jr.. Air Force?AP regional liaison officer, is in -barge of arrangements. Speakers rill include Hatton Sumners of Dallas. former congressman, and Maj. Gen. Fritz S. Borum, commander of the Oklahoma City air materiel
October 16, 1952
The Brownsville Herald from Brownsville, Texas · Page 11

BAM! The Doctor is the Colonel!

October 22, 1954
Albuquerque Journal from Albuquerque, New Mexico · Page 26
Saturday to present a speech to tht CAP officers. Delegates are expected from New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi and Arkansas. Six CAP officers from Gen. Beau's staff in Washington arrived Thursday to help prepare for the conference.
Col. E. O. Rushing, a retired "The old parachute packing Air Force physician of Dallas, Tex., who is Southwestern regional commander, also will ar- Co1, R"htag : . . a 1 v . -J3k " , "S,m !wiU be held Saturday and Sun- day, and Brig. Gen. T. J. Du estimated 1200 CAP members to attend the conference.
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/156853862/

Rayburn Lewis Rushing
(evangelist/reverend/pastor)
Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 68458977_137545657980

Birth:     Sep. 18, 1922
Leonard
Fannin County
Texas, USA
Death:     Jan. 15, 1988
Bonham
Fannin County
Texas, USA

Rushing, Rayburn Lewis, evangelist; b. Leonard, Texas Sept. 18, 1922; son of John Sidney and Ollie May (Hunt) R.; m. Wilene Dawson Sept. 15, 1947; children Gail Rushing Brigham, Gene, Tim and Joe. Student East Texas Baptist College 1947-49, Ouachita Baptist College 1950-52; D.D. Defenders Theological Seminary, 1972, ordained to ministry, Southern Baptist Convention, 1947, Pastor Southern Baptist churches, Texas and Arkansas 1947-54; evangelist Youth for Christ, Int. Chicago, 1952-53; dir.Dallas Youth for Christ, 1954-56, United Temperance League, Mitchell, S.D. 1956-1960; evangelist Ray Rushing Evangelistic Assn. 1963-88; Editor, pub. The National Voice 1965-78; broadcaster (radio and TV) Temperance Time 1960-78; Chaplain Civil Air Patrol, Dallas, 1954; lobbyist United Temperance League, Pierre, S.D., 1958, Temperance Time, Washington, 1961, The National Voice, Austin, Texas, 1965. With U.S. Army, 1941-45, ETO. Named to Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels, 1959; Honorary Dep. Sheriff, Dallas County, 1976. Republican.
-Who's Who In America

Family links:
 Parents:
  John Sidney Rushing (1900 - 1958)
  May Hunt Rushing (1901 - 1986)

Siblings:
  Edith Kathryn Rushing Rhoades (1920 - 1977)*
  Rayburn Lewis Rushing (1922 - 1988)
  Mary Helen Rushing Walker (1924 - 1947)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
Restland Memorial Park

Reverend REV. RAY RUSHING passed away on Feb. 10, 2002.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/houstonchronicle/obituary.aspx?n=ray-rushing&pid=225947

Westside Baptist Church Ministers, Atlanta Texas. 1948-50 Ray Rushing
https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth335836/m1/30/zoom/?resolution=3&lat=3442&lon=4266

1947, Ray Rushing Pastor, Atlanta Tx
https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth348121/m1/6/

Pecan Gap, Ray and Mattie Rushing
Survivors include the wife; three daughters, Mrs. Ragsdale Dais of Ralls, Mrs. Hugh Jester and Mrs. Bill Jackson, both of Lubbock; one son, T.D., of Ralls, three sisters, Mrs. Mattie Rushing of Pecan Gap, Mrs. C.M. Wartes of Morton, and Mrs. M. Wideman of Ralls; two brothers, Jack of Ralls, and Clifton of Levelland; and four grandchildren, Joyce and Dean Davis of Ralls, and Billy Wayne Christopher and Ike Jackson of Lubbock. All were present for the funeral.
Out of town relatives and friends attending included; Mr. and Mrs. L.C. Diggs, Levelland; Mrs. J.W. Rushing and Mr. and Mrs. Ray Rushing, Pecan Gap;
www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=25345447

John Sidney Rushing
Birthdate:     April 8, 1901
Birthplace:     Johnson County, Illinois
Death:     Died May 3, 1962
Place of Burial:     Robinson Cemetery, New Burnside, Johnson County, Illinois
Immediate Family:    

Son of John Henry Rushing and Mary Orlena Smith
Husband of Nannie Mae Hundley
Father of John Winfield Rushing
Brother of Janie Marie Rushing; Charles Henry Rushing and Martha Tella Rushing
Dallas
Dallas County
Texas, USA
Plot: Veterans I
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=68458977

Last edited by Ed. Ledoux on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wilene Rushing
Wilene Rushing

Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 Empty Re: Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing

Sun 18 Jun 2017, 1:16 am
The Burrell Rushing 1798-1867 in Tn is not Ray's ancestor because his Burrell was in NC census 1830-1870.
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 Empty Re: Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing

Sun 18 Jun 2017, 8:33 pm
Wilene Rushing wrote:Yes, I have read the Warren Commission report.  Ray and I met Marguerite Oswald years later and she showed us her copy of the report, pages marked and passages underlined.  Ray told her he tried to see her son the day he was killed.  Her belief was that he had not acted alone.

Yes conspiracy was on her mind.

Thanks again for checking Burrell - Matthew.
That would be the other Col. Rushing's kin.

Its very interesting the two groups of Rushing clans were in the same exact area in NC.

The trail you have then ends at Burrell?
I see you tried to tie him to Abraham.

"Burwell Rushing is the son of Abraham Rushing who lived on Brown Creek. I saw this on microfilm at the state archives in Raleigh, N.C. about 3 years ago. I did not get a copy. I will have to look for this in the very near future."

Here is a line I found,
    45.  Burrell6 Rushing (Abraham K5, Abraham R4, William3, Matthew2, Matthew1) was born Abt 1803, and died Aft 1876.  He md Matilda Rushing Abt. 1825.  She was born Dec 14, 1809 in Anson Co, NC, and died Dec 1859 in Union Co, NC.

They list Abraham as having children by his first wife but not second wife WATTS, is this where the problem lies?
They have not listed Watts and Abraham Rushing children??

7.  Abraham R4 Rushing (William3, Matthew2, Matthew1) was born 1742 in Roanoke River, North Carolina, and died May 20, 1805 in Anson County, North Carolina.  He married (1) Sarah Mariah Meador in Fairfield County, South Carolina, daughter of Jason Meador and Elizabeth Stone.  She was born 1743 in Essex or Cumberland County, Virginia.  He married (2) Sarah Watts.  

Children of Abraham Rushing and Sarah Meador are:
    13    i.    William5 Rushing, born 1771 in Anson County, North Carlina.
+    14    ii.    Abraham K Rushing, born 1772 in Anson County, North Carlina; died 1848 in Humphreys Co, Tn.
    15    iii.    Sarah Rushing, born 1773.
+    16    iv.    Peter Peyton Rushing, born Abt. 1774.
    17    v.    Elizabeth Rushing, born Bef. 1775.  She married William Morgan.
+    18    vi.    Jason Rushing, born 1775.
+    19    vii.    Phillip J (I.) Rushing, born Abt. 1777 in Anson County, North Carolina.
+    20    viii.    Thomas M Rushing, born Abt. 1783 in Anson County, North Carlina; died Sep 1869 in Bedford Co, Tn

Or is this yet another Abraham in the same place at the same time?
Thanks
Ed
Wilene Rushing
Wilene Rushing

Sun 18 Jun 2017, 10:53 pm
I have seen this linage but am not satisfied with it.  I did see a land record that stated Matilda, wife of Burrell Rushing received it from the Abraham Rushing estate.  But no way there to know which Abraham.
There were 15 families of Rushings in Anson County, NC in 1790
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Wed 21 Jun 2017, 9:27 pm
Matilda is possible.

15 families all with similar first names and children with same names.
Abraham marriage to two Sarahs doesn't help either.

This reminds me of George Foreman naming all his kids George to mess with the IRS

Wilene Rushing
Wilene Rushing

Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 Empty Burrell and Matilda Rushing

Wed 21 Jun 2017, 10:45 pm
No clue from the names of Burrell and Matilda's children as to who their parents were.  Leander, George, Alvin, Sarah and Susan.  Maybe the Sarah was for his mother, but the first time the boy's names had appeared.

Last edited by Wilene Rushing on Sat 24 Jun 2017, 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Fri 23 Jun 2017, 8:29 pm
There was an Abraham Jr. which may be the one that we are after.

You probably have talked to Cindy I assume?

BURRELL/BURWELL/BURL C. RUSHING
from the research notes of Francis Thomas
Burrell (sometimes Burwell or Burl C.) Rushing, b. 1803 in North Carolina, d. between 1870 and 1880, married Matilda, b. 1801 in North Carolina, d. between 1850 and 60
I have been told that Burrel's parents were Abraham, Jr. and Elizabeth Rushing, also that his parents were Abraham, Sr. and Mariah Meadows Rushing; however, I would like to find some proof to this effect because the family seems a little bit out of the norm. Burrel's brother is thought to be Darling Rushing.
Known children:
Sarah A., born 1826 NC; never married
Alvin T., born 1828 NC; married Jemima Horn; moved to AL about 1858
Leander T. (or F.), born 1833 NC; married Laura Henry and had 2 daughters. Laura died and he married Mary Davis. Leander died in CSA. Burrell and Leander's sister, Sarah, seem to have raised Leander's daughters after the War.
Burrell lived in the Southeastern corner of Union County. Matilda was listed as a member of Deep Creek Methodist Church, but became a charter member of Mt. Olive Baptist Church in 1833, along with Darling Rushing.
I have census on Burrell for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, and 1870. He is missing for the 1880 census.
Cindy Rushing, 7053 Bruce Dr., Bessemer, AL 35023
Wilene Rushing
Wilene Rushing

Fri 23 Jun 2017, 8:57 pm
Yes, I have corresponded with Cindy and she has good information..  My family tree is on Ancestry and Rootsweb.
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Fri 23 Jun 2017, 9:28 pm
Very well, good you and her corresponding helped.

I'll search other sites that can give other clues.
Wilene Rushing
Wilene Rushing

Sun 25 Jun 2017, 6:32 am
My Family tree link:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=wilenerushing&id=I5
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Sun 25 Jun 2017, 7:28 am
Rayburn Lewis Rushing
evangelist
Rayburn Lewis Rushing, American evangelist. Ordained to ministry Southern Baptist Convention, 1947. Named to Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels, Honorary Deputy Sheriff Dallas County, 1976. Chaplain Civil Air Patrol, Dallas, 1954; lobbyist United Temperance League, Pierre, South Dakota, 1958, Temperance Time, Washington, 1961, The National Voice, Austin, Texas, 1965. With United States Army, 1941-1945, European Theatre of Operations.

Background

[*]Rushing, Rayburn Lewis was born on September 18, 1922 in Leonard, Texas, United States. Son of John Sidney and Ollie May (Hunt) Rushing.

Education

• Student, East Texas Baptist College, 1949. Student, Ouachita Baptist College, 1952. Doctor of Divinity, Defender's Theological Seminary, 1972.

Career

• Pastor Southern Baptist Church, Texas, Arkansas, 1947-1954. Evangelist Youth for Christ International, Chicago, 1952-1953. Director Dallas Youth for Christ, 1954-1956, United Temperance League, Mitchell, South Dakota, 1956-1960.

Evangelist Ray Rushing Evangelistic Association, Dallas, 1963-1988.

Major achievements

• Ordained to ministry Southern Baptist Convention, 1947.

Works

• Editor, public The National Voice, 1965-1978. Broadcaster: (radio and television) Temperance Time, 1960-1978.

Politics

Party affiliation: Republican

Membership

Chaplain Civil Air Patrol, Dallas, 1954. Lobbyist United Temperance League, Pierre, South Dakota, 1958, Temperance Time, Washington, 1961, The National Voice, Austin, Texas, 1965. With United States Army, 1941-1945, European Theatre of Operations.

Connections

• Married Wilene Mozelle Dawson, September 15, 1947. Children: Gail Rushing Brigham, Gene, Tim, Joe.
  • father: John Sidney Rushing

• mother: Ollie May (Hunt) Rushing

• spouse: Wilene Mozelle Dawson

• children: Gail Rushing Brigham Rushing

http://prabook.com/web/person-view.html?profileId=581436

Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:15 am
And Emmet goes back to Anson NC via his relative Abraham born 1739 to William Rushing in Virginia.

Emmet O. Rushing
Father - Robert Asa Rushing
Grandfather - Elijah J Rushing
Great Grandfather - Asa Rushing
Great Great Grandfather - Jason Rushing
Great Great Great Grandfather - Abraham R. Rushing Sr. born 1739

https://www.geni.com/people/Abraham-Rushing-Sr/6000000006721888856

His Father was William

[th]Immediate Family: [/th]
Birthdate:circa 1720 (61)
Birthplace:Anson County, North Carolina, United States
Death:1781 (57-65)
Drowning Creek, Anson, North Carolina, USA
Son of Mathew M Rushing, Jr. and Elizabeth Rushing

Mathew M. Rushing, Jr.
His Father would be

Mathew M Rushing, Jr.

Birthdate:1670 (58)
Birthplace:Germany
Death:1728 (58)
Anson, North Carolina, United States
Son of Mathew Rushing, Sr. and Sarah Rushing
Husband of Elizabeth Rushing
Father of William Rushing (Rushen); Mathew Rushing; John Rushing; Mary Rushing and William Rushing (of Brown's Creek)
Half brother of William Rushing

Here it has a half brother of William Rushing, and he is Father to two William Rushings (Rushen?) One married a Elizabeth Vrow

Wait... she married TWO Rushings in Anson NC

Elizabeth Rushing (Vrow)

Birthdate:1684 (64)
Birthplace:Anson, NC, USA
Death:1748 (64)
Anson, NC, USA
Wife of William Rushing (Rushen) and Mathew M Rushing, Jr.

Which has William' marriage to his own mother...Elizabeth Vrow born in 1684 Anson NC

This is the problem with these searches.
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:39 am
Anyways your kin came in to Texas from Oklahoma via Doc Rushing and marriage to Hunt  
and Alabama via Doc Henry Rushing
and from Anson North Carolina via Alvin Thomas Rushing whom lived in Kennedy Alabama as a cotton weigher
So your line was:
TX OK AL NC

Col. Emmet O. Rushing line was:
TX TN NC
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Sun 25 Jun 2017, 10:03 am
Emmet is traceable back to a William Rushing 1505 England

Via Virginia and Germany and then Suffolk England.

At least the ancestors claim such.
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Sun 25 Jun 2017, 11:27 am
The line I see with Burrell is one that has no father as no Father has a Burrell.
Except Robert Burrell Rushing who had a father Burrell Rushing and a mother not Matilda but Mary Elizabeth.
I have been looking at Mary Elizabeth Rhodes Rushing.

Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 Rushin10

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi/page/gr/%3C/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=48086540
Birth: 1806
Anson County
North Carolina, USA
Death: 1834
Perry County
Tennessee, USA
Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 Trans
Mary Elizabeth Rhodes married Burrell Rushing in Anson County, North Carolina in 1824.

Children:
1. Elizabeth Rushing b: Abt 1825
2. Caswell Rushing b: Abt 1828 in TN.
3. Nancy Ellen Rushing b: 13 Jul 1829
4. Richard Burrell Rushing b: 27 Jan 1830 in Perry Co., TN
5. Lavinia Rushing b: 23 Dec 1830 in Perry Co., TN.
6. Rebecca Rushing b: Abt 1832 in Decatur Co., TN.
7. Leonidus Rushing b:1834 Perry County, Tennessee d:1904 Decatur County Tennessee
8. William Franklin Rushing b: 13 Oct 1836 in Perry Co., TN.
9. Phillip Rushing b: Abt 1837 in Perry Co., TN
10. Malvina Rushing b: Abt 1838 in Perry Co., TN.
11. Andrew Jackson Rushing b: 8 Jan 1843 in Perry Co., TN.
12. John Wesley Rushing b:1850 Decatur County, Tennessee d:1916

Sources:
Title: United States Federal Census 1850,
Perry County, Tennessee
Title: United States Federal Census 1860,
Decatur County, Tennessee
Title: United States Federal Census 1870,
Decatur County, Tennessee
Title: United States Federal Census 1850,
Navarro County, Texas

(Please Note: This memorial is under construction and research is ongoing. Much of the information was taken from undocumented sources and is yet to be supported.) 

Family links: 
 Spouse:
  Burrell Rushing (1798 - 1867)

Children:
  Caswell Rushing (1828 - ____)*

[size=undefined]*Calculated relationship[/size]

Burial:
Rushing Cemetery
Decatur County
Tennessee, USA

Created by: jaybee
Record added: Feb 13, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial# 48086540

Here is the odd twist this Burrell is born circa 1798 in Anson NC your Burrell is born 1803 in Anson NC.
This Burrell dies 1867 in TN, your Burrell dies 1876 in NC

BURRELL RUSHING (Circa 1798-1867)

Burrell Rushing was born circa 1798 in Anson Co., NC, and died May 5, 1867. He is buried in a fieldstone marked grave in Rushing Grove Cemetery, Decatur Co., TN.
Burrell probably is son of Richard Rushing, with whom he is tied in land records and the 1820 and 1830 census. Richard may have had eight sons under age 20 in the 1800 census.
Burrell Rushing married Mary Elizabeth Rhodes. She was born circa 1806. She is buried in a fieldstone marked grave at Rushing Grove Cemetery.
Children:

• Elizabeth Rushing (circa 1825-before 1860). She married Isaac Elias Brasher (January 29, 1826-May 18, 1887), son of Walter Brashears and Elizabeth Roberts, before 1850. He is buried in Morgan Cemetery, Decatur Co., TN.
  • Caswell Rushing (Speculative) (born circa 1828, in TN). He married Eleanor Ann White, May 27, 1851, in Navarro Co., TX.
  • Nancy Ellen Rushing (July 13, 1829-July 27, 1896). She is buried in Rushing Grove Cemetery. She married, first, Henry Harrington (circa 1831-circa 1857), son of Charles Harrington and Lavisa. She married, second, Morris Veal (1806-September 5, 1894), in 1858. Divorce circa 1865. He is buried in Campground Cemetery, Decatur Co., TN.
  • Richard Burrell Rushing (January 27, 1830-January 23, 1900). He served in Company F, 8th Missouri Cavalry, C.S.A. He married, first, Lucinda Rushing, daughter of Iassc Rushing and Rebecca Saint, August 26, 1857, in Natchitoches Parish, LA. She probably is buried near Cape Girardeau, MO. He married, second, Mary J. Smith (August 26, 1842-February 22, 1898), circa 1868. Richard and Mary are buried in Rushing Grove Cemetery.
  • Lavenia Rushing (born December 23, 1830). One source suggests that Lavenia was married first to a Watts. She married, first, Green B. Davis (August 28, 1826-bef. 1860), son of Louis/Lewis Davis and Sarah E. Taylor, circa 1848. She married, second, Unknown McKnight, before 1860. She married, third, John H. Pearcy (May 1, 1809-May 9, 1887), circa 1865. He is buried in Concord Cemetery, Decatur Co., TN.
  • Rebecca Rushing (born circa 1832). She married G. Marshall Harrington (born circa 1828), son of Charles Harrington and Lavisa.
  • Leonidus Rushing (circa 1833-before 1900). He married Darcus J. Powers (born circa 1836), daughter of Henry Powers and Nancy.
  • William Franklin Rushing (October 13, 1836-November 23, 1903). He served in Company F, 55th Infantry (Browns), C.S.A. He married Sarah Ann Powers (August 3, 1838-November 22, 1917), daughter of Stephen Powers, March 10, 1856, in Henderson Co., TN. Both are buried in Rushing Grove Cemetery.
  • Phillip Rushing (circa 1832-1862). Died at Shilo. Served in Company E, 27th Tennessee Infantry, C.S.A.
  • Malvina Rushing (born circa 1838).
  • Andrew Jackson Rushing (January 8, 1843-October 4, 1875). He is buried in Rushing Grove Cemetery. He served in Company I, 50 Tennessee Infantry, C.S.A. He married Elizabeth Powers (October 9, 1842-January 13, 1920), daughter of Stephen Powers. She is buried in Mt. Zion Cemetery, Decatur Co., TN.
  • John Wesley Rushing (December 1850-May 1, 1916). He married Martha Ann Johnson (1856-February 13, 1894). Both are buried Rushing Grove Cemetery.
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Sun 25 Jun 2017, 12:05 pm
Arkansas-Tennessee Burrell Rushings

Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 Content?id=5qVRAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA83&img=1&pgis=1&dq=%22burrell+Rushing%22&sig=ACfU3U0k7U8C0RTzOEXV8RBEiQmt0bgnaA&edge=0
Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 Content?id=15jtAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA101&img=1&pgis=1&dq=%22burrell+Rushing%22&sig=ACfU3U0VRePmoxLfbdzF9J-M4DFk3ZTqBA&edge=0

Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 Rushin11

1891 - ‎Read
His father, Burrell Rushing, was born October 25, 1815 in Middle Tennessee, and in the spring of 1835 came to Pope County, Ark., where he bought and improved a large tract of land. He was married in January, 1843, to Miss Mary Hays,

Daughters of 1812. Ohio Society - 2005 - ‎Snippet viewBurrell Rushing was born on 25 Oct 1815 in TN, died in 1898, and was buried in Rushing Cemetery, Pope Co, AR. Burrell married Mary Hays in Jan 1 843. Mary died on 5 May 1 850. Burrell next married Amanda Anderson. Amanda died on

Cheers, Ed
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Sun 25 Jun 2017, 12:10 pm
Alabama Burrell Rushing
Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 Content?id=cEs6AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA144&img=1&pgis=1&dq=%22burrell+Rushing%22&sig=ACfU3U2jABJWw2maQEooRs_JMs6oloDLfQ&edge=0
Wilene Rushing
Wilene Rushing

Sun 25 Jun 2017, 9:47 pm
Yes, Burrell was a name that appeared frequently in Rushing records but I don't think the Rushings in Tennessee were descendants of Burrell C Rushing (1901-1876)  possibly a nephew but I don't know.
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Tue 27 Jun 2017, 12:01 am
Thanks Wilene.
I see the Burrell deed you speak of  mentions Joel and noting his Father Abraham.

William , you seem to be saying that Burwell Rushing is a son of Abraham Rushing. Abraham did have a son by the name of Abraham; but not this one, Alvin t Rushings Mother and Father are Burwell and Matilta Rushing, she is a daughter of Abraham Rushing of Brown. There is a deed in the late 1820s proving this. Go to forum 747 to see more on this subject.
The last website I had on the Rushings, was taken dowm, because they were under the assumption , the documents were put there for storage only.
http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/rushing/2018/

posted on Prodigy by Grace Goodall

Recorded in Anson Co., NC Deed Book W, page 347
BURWELL RUSHING AND WIFE TO JOEL RUSHING
This indenture made 3rd January in the year 1829 Between Burwell Rushing and wife Matilda of the County of Anson and State of North Carolina of the one part and Joel Rushing of the county and state aforesd of the other part
Witnesseth that for and in consideration of the sum of one hundred and ten dollars to the sd Burwell Rushing and wife Matilda in hand paid by the sd Joel Rushing at and before the sealing and delivering of these presents the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledg'd and therefore doth release acquit and discharge the sd Joel Rushing his Exers & Admrs by these presents they the sd Burwell Rushing and wife Matilda grant bargained aliened and confirmed unto the sd Joel Rushing his heirs a certain piece or parcel of land situate lying and being in the county and state aforesd on the waters of Big Brown Creek it being all that piece or parcel of land which may be allotted to Matilda Rushing by the death of my father Abraham Rushing, dcd late of the county and state aforesaid to which the sd Matilda Rushing is intitled (sic) to as one of the heirs at law of Abraham Rushing, dcd to have and to hold to the sd Joel Rushing his heirs and assigns forever together with every part & parcel & every appurtenence thereto belonging and the sd Bur Rushing and wife matilda do hereby agree for themselves their heirs & assigns to warrant & forever defend all the lands aforesaid to which the sd Matilda Rushing may be entitled to as one of the heirs of Abram Rushing, dcd unto the sd Joel Rushing his heirs Exers Admrs & assns forever free and clear from them their heirs Exers Admrs and from the claim or claims of any person or persons claiming by or thro them. In witness whereof the sd Burwell Rushing and wife Matilda has hereunto set their hands and seals the day & year first above written.
Signed sealed and delvd
Burwell Rushing (SEAL)
Matilda Rushing (SEAL)
in presence of us
Geo Duren
P Rushing
This may certify that we took the private examination of Matilda Rushing wife of Burwell assigned the within deed free and willingly without controle of her husband.
Geo Duren J.P.
P. Rushing J.P.
Anson Jany Session 1829
Then this deed was duly proven in open court by P. Rushing and ordered to be reg.
W. Dismukes, Clk.

In the deed are of note a P. Rushing and Joel Rushing

Here is the thread where its shown that Matilda is being claimed to be a Rushing by birth??? Daughter of Abraham Rushing?

cynthia, about 3 years ago, i visited the n.c. state archives, browsing old copies of deeds, i ran across a deed, stating that burwell rushing was the son of abraham rushing, there is no mistake, i even wrote it down , i forgot to write down where the deed was located.i will go back and find it. the burwell rushing that married matilita is a son of some other rushing, as there were more burwells. there is a deed stating that burwell and matilta sold land to joel rushing,and it states that matilita is the daughter of abraham rushing.
this abraham rushing is the one that lived on brown creek and he is being confused with abraham rushing jr. the only 2 children that can be proven to be the children of abraham are burwell and matilita. darling rushing was the executor of abraham rushings estate, there is a document showing the full name of darling rushing, as abraham darling rushing. i have a document in darlings own handing writting, stating he is the brother of joel rushing. it is almost certain that benjamin d. rushing is their brother also. darling, joel, benjamin d. rushing are burried together in the old section of mt. olive church. other family members are burried there also. i will put all of the persons burried there on my website.i am putting everything i can find there on the rushings and those that are allied with the rushings, and their next door neighbors. you have darling as being the brother of benjamin d. do you have documentsthey are brothers or is it assumed? i have seen some of the data bases. one of them states that abraham rushing jr. son of abraham rushing and mariah meador as being the father of darling, joel, benjamin d. jesse j. and others. this is the abraham rushing that went to tenn. about 1809. then how is it that benjamin d. is his son, when he was born in anson around 1813. and his father had been living in tenn. for at least 4 years. send me a copy of what you have on the above rushings. i may be missing something.i have more than 300 copies of deeds, etc.on my site. have at least that many more to add. part of the darling rushing homeplace is still standing, was built around 1800. as to jesse j rushing, i do not know who are his mother, father, or his brothers or sisters. i am almost certain, he is not the brother of darling, joel and others, as i have a document showing that joel is his middle name.

And of course the other Burrell and his Father, Richard to Burrell (1798) in this deed:

DEED N&O PAGE 103 RICHARD RUSHING TO BURRELL RUSHING 0NE HUNDRED ACRES OF LAND ON SOLOMOM RUSHINGS BRANCH. WIT. JOHN RUSHING AND WILLIS RUSHING. APRIL CT. 1809 TOD ROBINSON CLK. ABOVE DEED APPEARS TO BE A GIFT.

So were Burwell and Burrell C. Rushing two separate persons. YES NO

Was Burwell the brother and husband to Matilda  YES NO
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Tue 27 Jun 2017, 12:19 am
Jan. 3, 1829. Burwell Rushing & wife, Matilda, son of Abraham Rushing, deed land to Joel Rushing

Burwell Rushing Envelope civil war era 1860s? White Hill Union NC
https://www.trishkaufmann.com/7395.php

Here is Hardy Rushing:

Hardy Rushing, 1775 - 1849
Hardy Rushing was born in Before 1775, at birth place, North Carolina, to Phillip J. Rushing and Hannah Rushing.
Phillip was born in 1756, in Anson County, N.C..
Hannah was born Before 1755.
Hardy had 6 siblings: Elijah Rushing, Burwell Rushing and 4 other siblings.
Hardy married Elizabeth Rushing circa 1820, at age 45.
Elizabeth was born circa 1794, in Anson County, NC.
They had 6 children: Abel Rushing, Levin Rushing and 4 other children.
Hardy married Unknown Rushing (born Wife) in Before 1795, at age 20.
was born between 1770 and 1785.
They had one son: Phillip Rushing.
Hardy passed away on month day 1849, at age 74 at death place, Tennessee.

So whom were Burwell or Burrell C siblings? Was Hardy one?
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Tue 27 Jun 2017, 12:28 am
Is Burwell father to Burrell?
(or where this name enters the geneology on your side)

Hannah and Richard Rushing had a
Burwell Rushing 1772
https://www.ancestry.ca/genealogy/records/hannah_34190462

Burwell 1772 fits having a child Burrell in 1803 purely from a timing perspective, not saying its proven, or the name being passed down somehow ie uncle, etc.

Hannah

Found 10 Records, 10 Photos

Born in England on 1751. Hannah married Richard Rushing and had 4 children. She passed away on 1816 in Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut, USA.

Family Members

Parents
Unavailable
Unavailable
Spouse(s)
Richard Rushing
1746-1841
Children
Phillip R Rushing
1765-1814
Burwell Rushing
1772-Unknown
Elijah Rushing
1775-Unknown

https://www.ancestry.ca/genealogy/records/hannah_34190462
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Tue 27 Jun 2017, 12:34 am
Alternate on Hannah line

http://www.mytrees.com/ancestry-family/ru000889-2396/Phillip-and-Hannah-married-1773.html

Couple: Phillip & Hannah Rushing Married 1773

Click the "Born", "Died", and "Married" links for family tree detail.

Parents Married: ...1773 at ...

Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 Man-mytrees

Father:

Born
Died

Phillip Rushing

...1745 at ...

...1840 at ...

Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 Woman-mytrees

Mother:

Born
Died

Hannah Nln

...1752 at ...

...1815 at ...

Children

Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 Man-mytrees

Sons:

Burwell Rushing - Born ...1772 at ...
Phillip R Rushing - Born ...1765 at ...
Hardy Rushing - Born ...1775 at ...
Mark Rushing - Born ...1878 at ...
Richard Rushing - Born ...1785 at ...

Col. Emmet O. Rushing and Rev. Rayburn Lewis Rushing - Page 2 Woman-mytrees

Daughters:

Hannah Rushing - Born ...1771 at ...
Millie Rushing - Born ...1785 at ...

Wilene Rushing
Wilene Rushing

Tue 27 Jun 2017, 3:11 am
You have extensive research material and there are still questions.  There are possible answers but no proven conclusions for Burrell C Rushing's parents.  It is more positive that Matilda is an heir of Abraham Rushing.  Thanks, Ed, for your work. Wilene
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Tue 27 Jun 2017, 5:19 am
Thanks Wilene.
Agreed.
Thx for stating the Abraham-Matilda connection.
Burrell ~Burwell, C.
Would you know or hazard a guess middle name for the C.
Ive yet to find anything this middle initial.
Cheers, Ed
Wilene Rushing
Wilene Rushing

Tue 27 Jun 2017, 6:30 am
I got Burrell C Rushing and Matilda Rushing from their marriage record.
Ed.Ledoux
Ed.Ledoux

Tue 27 Jun 2017, 2:30 pm
So IMO this is the definitive part,
the burwell (BURRELL C.) rushing that married matilita is a son of some other rushing, as there were more burwells. there is a deed stating that burwell and matilta sold land to joel rushing,and it states that matilita is the daughter of abraham rushing.
this abraham rushing is the one that lived on brown creek and he is being confused with abraham rushing jr. the only 2 children that can be proven to be the children of abraham are burwell and matilita. darling rushing was the executor of abraham rushings estate, there is a document showing the full name of darling rushing, as abraham darling rushing. i have a document in darlings own handing writting, stating he is the brother of joel rushing. it is almost certain that benjamin d. rushing is their brother also. darling, joel, benjamin d. rushing are burried together in the old section of mt. olive church.

"I don't know if Rushing Y-DNA results will help you but I have also tested and my results exactly matched all the other Rushings in the surname study group and a "Rushen" from England. On a high resolution 37 marker test we had a genetic distance of 1 from the "RUSHEN" that tested and also the surnames HUFF/HOUGH of England match as a common ancestor within a genealogical time frame. The predicted haplotype for all Rushins, Rushen, and Rushings tested so far is: I1a-Norse. The DYS markes show on Famly Tree DNA site Rushing surname group.

We Rushings are all cousins with a 99.99% chance we all have a common ancestor within 24 generations or less and our haplotype is "The Viking Gene" meaning we are descendants of vikings in the dim and distant past. Most likely there was only one or one family responsible for all of us USA Rushings."

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=952&p=surnames.rushing

Cheers. Ed
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum