REOPENKENNEDYCASE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ROKC IS NOW CLOSED AND IS READ ONLY. WE THANK THOSE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED US OVER THE LAST 14 YEARS.

Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Similar topics
Latest topics
Brian says...Sat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 pmEd.Ledoux
last drinks before the bar closesSat 30 Dec 2023, 2:46 pmTony Krome
The Mystery of Dirk Thomas KunertSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:23 pmTony Krome
Vickie AdamsSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:14 pmgreg_parker
Busted again: Tex ItaliaSat 30 Dec 2023, 9:22 amEd.Ledoux
The Raleigh CallSat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 ambarto
Was Oswald ever confronted with the physical rifle?Sat 30 Dec 2023, 12:03 amCastroSimp
Who Dat? Fri 29 Dec 2023, 10:24 pmTony Krome
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website
Like/Tweet/+1

The Lunchroom Incident Revisited

+21
Mick_Purdy
Goban_Saor
bernie laverick
Vinny
Faroe Islander
Redfern
Mark A. O'Blazney
ianlloyd
Ray Mitcham
Albert Rossi
Colin_Crow
Frankie Vegas
Hasan Yusuf
John Mooney
TerryWMartin
dwdunn(akaDan)
Admin_2
gerrrycam
beowulf
StanDane
greg_parker
25 posters
Go down

The Lunchroom Incident Revisited - Page 17 Empty The Lunchroom Incident Revisited

Wed 02 Apr 2014, 7:42 pm
First topic message reminder :

I want to begin by focusing on the notorious vestibule door, with the plate-glass window, that Baker first glimpsed Oswald looking through. It's WC Exhibit 498, at XVII p. 213, and even in the Warren volumes you can easily discern the fresh grain pattern in the wood. First Day Evidence, on p. 286, is even clearer.

http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh17/html/WH_Vol17_0120a.htm

Very probably this was a new door, installed during the late 1962 overhaul, when the Sexton Grocery warehouse was remodeled to accommodate the TSBD company and several other publishers. By the way, Sexton had its offices on the 1st & 2nd floors and very likely used the same lunchroom that we all know so well. The vestibule door had an automatic closing device, and Truly had to come in and make a special affidavit about that on August 3rd (WCH VII p. 591). It took several seconds to close. This device was probably pneumatic.

This vestibule door had some weight to it. It was sturdy. It could be described as heavy-duty. Installing it was a 2-man job. In comparison, the doors to the up & down flights of stairs were downright flimsy. (Same link as above, but page 217). These stairwell doors were normally open during the course of the day, as was the lunchroom door (WCD 496, p. 32). The vestibule door closed by itself and was always in the closed position, if not in use.

The vestibule door helped muffle the sounds from the landing and stairwell, so that people in the lunchroom could eat in relative peace & quiet. The stairs were old and quite noisy and the landing floors were wood. Warehouse workers habitually came up to use the lunchroom Coke machine. And office workers also came down from the 3rd  & 4th floors, human nature being what it is, rather than wait impatiently at lunchtime for the passenger elevator. For example, Victoria Adams and Sandra Styles' run down the stairs on November 22nd wasn't their first experience on them. They instinctively knew they could head for the corner stairwell when they discovered the passenger elevator wasn't operating.

Considering the potential for irritable human traffic, the vestibule door kept disturbing sounds to a reasonable minimum. It was installed with that purpose in mind.

Adams & Styles watched the motorcade from their 4th-floor office window overlooking Elm Street. Adams estimated the time it took them to reach the 1st floor, after the shots, was "no longer than a minute at the most." She confirmed to author Barry Ernest that she left the window just before the limousine reached the Triple Underpass (The Girl on the Stairs p. 329).

The first point that needs to be appreciated is that Adams & Styles could not have beaten Truly & Baker to the freight elevators. Even if these women made it to the 1st floor in 60 seconds, Truly & Baker had 60 seconds to make it only as far as the will-call counter, or just a bit further into the warehouse, to see the women across the floor. And Adams & Styles continued running in front of the freight elevators for the rear door. Even the most sluggard time estimate for Truly & Baker brings them onto the warehouse floor well before Adams & Styles. And in one re-enactment they made it to the 2nd-floor lunchroom in 75 seconds.

The second point is that Adams' & Styles' supervisor, Dorothy Garner, stated for the record that after they went downstairs, she saw Truly & Baker come up. The purpose of Garner's statement was to refute the WC argument that Adams must have gone downstairs several minutes after the shots, because otherwise she should have encountered Lee Harvey Oswald fleeing down the steps. Garner's statement was given in the U.S. Attorney's office in Dallas, and they sent it to WC Chief Counsel J. Lee Rankin. But he never brought it to light, since it helped refute the Commission's contention that Oswald was the 6th-floor assassin. And the statement lay buried in the National Archives in the papers of the Dallas U.S. Attorney until Barry Ernest discovered it.

We can boil the stairs down to a mathematical problem, where A & S are descending from the 4th while T & B are ascending to the 4th (and then the 5th). Yet they never interact with each other. Why is this the case? Because T & B removed themselves from the stairs for a time, and went into the lunchroom. And it is a mathematical certainty that A & S passed T & B while they were in the lunchroom.

Why didn't T & B hear them? Truly said that he, Baker & Oswald were only 2 or 3 feet inside the lunchroom. The answer is that the vestibule door muffled a lot of sound, coming from Adams' & Styles' high heels clomping down the wooden stair treads and across the wooden landing. And T & B were in an intense, gun-in-the-belly situation with Oswald. Even if a little bit of noise from those high heels filtered into their eardrums, it was only high heels and they quickly brushed it off and forgot about it.

Baker estimated the lunchroom encounter took 30 seconds. The stairs were roughly L-shaped, split-level. I think it's fair to say that for someone in the lunchroom, floor "2 1/2" to floor "1 1/2" constitutes their hearing range. Half a flight of steps gets descended in about 5 seconds, with another 5 seconds for crossing the 10-foot landing. That's 15 seconds total for A & S to be in hearing range. They probably were on the 3rd-floor landing just as B & T entered the lunchroom.

Skeptics of the lunchroom incident not only have to construe Baker & Truly as liars. Since 2010, when Garner's information came out, they have to construe her as misbegotten as well- yet her statement was made with Oswald's escape in mind, not the lunchroom incident.

What the simple mathematics of this problem means is that the totality of evidence cited by the skeptics, as supporting the lunchroom episode as a non-event, is nothing more than a red herring. The disparate news stories are just that- disparate news stories, and they tell us little more than that reporters will write anything.

And etc. Bring your best arguments to the table, in favor of the non-event. Prepare for a whuppin'.  cat

The Lunchroom Incident Revisited - Page 17 Empty Re: The Lunchroom Incident Revisited

Sun 18 May 2014, 1:19 am
Richard Gilbride wrote:
I'll get to you, Lee Farley, the laziest researcher I have ever come across in my long and illustrious career as a Gobbledegooker. What do they put in that Liverpuddlian H2O that so twists the mind? What's thrilling me this moment is my knowledge that you have fallen for the ole rope-a-dope. Roar, meow, & a swipe to follow.

By "laziest" do you mean most honest?  I'd expect that to be the case coming from an outright lying bastard like you.

You can change your "lying" into being "inexact" and you can ignore the fact that you've been caught with your pants around your ankles trying to shit in the well.  You can posture and pretend you're hard but as you yourself have admitted - you're nothing more than just a big fucking pussy.

I don't think anyone is waiting with bated breath for your next stinking dollop of rancid tripe but knock yourself out.  No, really.  Knock yourself out.

The Lunchroom Encounter is a fiction - driven from the get-go by Roy Truly and no amount of your twisting, lying and cherry picking is going to change that.

And to leave off giving you the big fat finger I will once again use your own words to demonstrate how completely untrustworthy you are.

On February 3rd of this very year you wrote the following:

"And Lee's command of the assassination subject material is second-to-none, with a propensity for digging up cutting-edge contradictions."

And today you wrote:

"Lee Farley, the laziest researcher I have ever come across in my long and illustrious career…"

Now its hardly cutting edge -- but it sure is a bitch of a contradiction I've dug up there.  I'm guessing you're angry because you've been whupped?

Alex Trebek - "Nothing more than a big fucking pussy."
Lee Farley - "What is Richard Gilbride?"
Alex Trebek - "Correct

Last edited by Hello Goodbye on Sun 18 May 2014, 5:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Colin_Crow
Colin_Crow

The Lunchroom Incident Revisited - Page 17 Empty Re: The Lunchroom Incident Revisited

Sun 18 May 2014, 2:34 am
Richard Gilbride wrote:The question we want to resolve in this particular post is whether Truly & Baker were able to look up the elevator shaft. The answer is yes.

From Jerry Dealey's article "The Ups and Downs of the TSBD":

"The EAST elevator was hand controlled and you had to be in the elevator to hold the up or down direction switch. The WEST elevator could be called, provided the gate at each floor, and the gate on the elevator itself was closed (double gated). You would then push the button for the floor you wish to move to."

An article he was kind enough to e-mail to me 5 years ago before it went to press, "Giving the Dealey Plaza Sewer Troll a 'Lift'", states:

"The freight elevators were a dual gate system. The gates were slats of wood, with gaps between them held together by linkage. The outer gate was a full one, which rolled into the holder that is seen above the elevator in photos 6 & 7 of CD496. The inner gate was a 3/4 gate, standing about 4 feet from the floor. It lifted into the shaft to open, and the elevators would not move unless both gates were closed (for safety reasons). Additionally, the gates on any other floor would not open if the elevator was not on that floor. (I suppose they could be "jimmied" in some way).

But Jerry was mistaken, as this clip from the Alyea film shows. It was taken as the photographer rode up to the 6th floor in the west elevator. (Notice the stairway sign)

http://jfkassassinationgallery.com/displayimage.php?album=23&pos=3

So the outer, roll-up gate on the 6th floor was open when Alyea rode it up. The elevator's ascension didn't depend on someone being upstairs to open the outer, roll-up gate once someone downstairs decided to use the elevator.

This means that the safety-lock mechanism was attached to the inner, slide-down wood-slat gate. The west elevator would not move unless all of these were closed on every floor.

During the course of a normal work day, I believe it was common practice to leave the outer, roll-up gates to the 1st and 4th, 5th & 6th open, while leaving the outer roll-up gates to the 2nd & 3rd closed. Because these latter floors were hardly used by the warehouse workers, if at all.

Belin specifically asked Truly (III, pp. 226-7) whether Truly had noticed any elevator present on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th while he climbed the stairs; Truly said no but gave no indication whether or not whether or not the outer gate was rolled up into its overhead holder.

Adams specifically stated "The elevator was not moving" (VI, p. 389) when she got to the 4th-floor landing; she didn't see any cables moving through the wood-slat gate. She couldn't remember about the other floors. But Styles years later recalled Adams telling co-workers about hearing the elevator cables during their descent of the stairs. This, I believe, is when the west began to descend- about when A & S were at the 3rd-floor landing.

The answer is yes, that Truly & Baker looked up the elevator shaft.

I'll get to you, Lee Farley, the laziest researcher I have ever come across in my long and illustrious career as a Gobbledegooker. What do they put in that Liverpuddlian H2O that so twists the mind? What's thrilling me this moment is my knowledge that you have fallen for the ole rope-a-dope. Roar, meow, & a swipe to follow.
Richard,
The photo you referred to as Alyea coming up the west elevator shows cables in the foreground. I am confused as how these cables would be visible if he was riding in the elevator at the time. Could it be shot from the east elevator through an open west elevator shaft? Is there footage from him riding up the elevator?

Also I found this quote from Alyea....

"...I ran on upstairs with the Secret Service men. Then other units came in - the Riot Squad. I thought I was going to film a gun fight. They ran to the 4th floor and I went with them.

It seems his initial ascent was via the stairs.
Hasan Yusuf
Hasan Yusuf
http://jfkthelonegunmanmyth.blogspot.com.au/

Sun 18 May 2014, 4:37 am
Despite having his arse kicked and handed to him on a silver platter so many times, Gilbride keeps coming back for more. But that's the problem with egomaniacs... They never learn.

Sun 18 May 2014, 5:53 am
Colin,

Continuing the excerpt from "Giving the Dealey Plaza sewer Troll a 'Lift' ",

"The north wall of the elevator was a complete wall, and the lifting mechanism was attached within that wall. As can be seen from the photos, the south wall was a 3/4 wall, and the interior of the elevator shaft could be seen from within it. Additionally, the 2 freight elevators shared a single elevator shaft, and the elevator walls between them was also a 3/4 wall, with a wire mesh on the remaining 1/4 to the roof.

I found that film footage, a very short clip at 4:39 of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tsR8PGx2ZE

So apparently the cables run through the floor of the elevator. Maybe you have another idea on that. We're looking at the west wall in the Unger photo, through the west face of the west elevator.

Lee,

You took what was a good-natured jest (lazy, when you obviously are the hardest-working guy in the community) (long & illustrious career as a Gobbledegooker- poking fun at myself, with your characterisation) 180% the wrong way. This is your problem, it seems to me. You dish it out, but can't take it. You are basically overworked. And in my estimation, that contributes to you seeing things that aren't there. Such as the Cakebread analysis of the Powell photo. And now it's the authenticity of the photo/pneumatic door mechanism to the vestibule.

These days it's me who's in the crosshairs of your anger, but next year it will be someone else. Who won't go along with your brainstorm on something such as Ralph Yates, because his own questions do not receive satisfactory answers. The best outlet for frustrations like that is an article, to present your views.

I find I've grown more conservative as time passes, having sifted through much of the JFK narrative as best I can. And hearing the older but wiser voices of people like Jerry Dealey admonish my earlier speculations. I had signed on to the lunchroom hoax story for about a year, until Barry Ernest's book woke me up, and I immediately posted on Lancer that A & S had to have passed T & B when they were in the lunchroom. I still have that download. So since 2011 I've been firmly in the official story camp. But I don't think I've ever once stated that the official story as we know it is completely true. The research is never in vain.

I'll be several hours composing a comprehensive reply to your latest posts. The gist of it is already in my head but I want to give careful attention to detail.

In the meantime, you or anybody who wants to can post something as to what their definition of proof is. To use a Fetzerian expression, "What does it take?"
StanDane
StanDane
https://prayermanleeharveyoswald.blogspot.com/

Sun 18 May 2014, 6:42 am
Richard Gilbride wrote:In the meantime, you or anybody who wants to can post something as to what their definition of proof is. To use a Fetzerian expression, "What does it take?"
What is your definition of proof? Is proof in the eye of the beholder, or is it something more concrete? 

I think proof is enough evidence to establish something as true or to produce belief in its truth. Fairly standard definition, I think.
Hasan Yusuf
Hasan Yusuf

Sun 18 May 2014, 9:04 am
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I simply can't wait for the next installment of lies and utter Tiger crap from Gilbride!

Sun 18 May 2014, 11:38 am
Lee Farley,

Again I must apologize for beginning this topic with inexact language. I have read T & B's testimonies at least 2 dozen times and have the bad habit of thinking I can perfectly recall them, without having to dig them out again. And I said that T, B & O were all "in the lunchroom" but, regrettably, wasn't more specific. And the matter was straightened out on page 1 of this thread. So it's a bit much to listen to your hyperbole about me being a compulsive liar.

The basics are that T, B & O were within a 3-foot radius of the lunchroom doorframe. Truly mentioned details he could only have garnered from moseying up to Baker, and Baker even testified that "Mr. Truly had come up to my side here." So the vestibule door had to close. Even though this was never mentioned in testimony.

We disagree on whether it was closed for enough time to allow Adams & Styles to pass. I take the position that there must have been unspoken pieces of human interaction around that lunchroom doorframe, to allow the A & S event to happen. You maintain that my position is ludicrous. Fine. But I provided an A & S time estimate in my essay to back up my position on this.

The only critique I have seen thus far of the A & S time estimate comes from Greg Parker, who says my "insistence that A & S could not get out in time is based on a bunch of your own assumptions and hand-picked evidence. ALL the timings are meaningless because of the assumptions used."

On the contrary, I carefully measured every known distance & action A & S took, and gave them extreme latitude to get them downstairs as quickly as possible. And it's just not possible that they got outside before T & B would have noticed them. So the timings are not meaningless. This is a hide-your-head-in-the-sand kind of statement, full of intellectual conceit, something I would expect from Sean Murphy when he says, "This is a non-starter for me." It's only a non-starter in regards to his lunchroom hoax hypothesis.

The next item Lee Farley rails against me concerns my list of points that mesh in the T & B testimonies, as regards T & B meeting up in the front lobby. B said it, T said it was a possibility but he didn't remember that close. Lee gets into his vicious mode and tears into me for daring to intimate that this was a point the testimonies shared in common. The major point being that there are a heck of a lot of correspondences between the 2 testimonies. So much that I would say, did Truly witness the same Pontiac crash that Baker says he also witnessed? Sure looks that way to me.

Our next bone of contention is the Baker-asking-where-the-stairs-are issue. We can say he was lying, but in every instance where we find an anomaly to the evidence supporting the official destination, we have every right to ask if there is a benign explanation. And we should accept that benign explanation before making the jump to saying the destination was never reached.

Whether or not the Leo Sauvage story is correct (that Baker led the way up the 1st flight), the destination was still reached. And I take the position that for every single piece of evidence, in the totality of the evidence, that supports the lunchroom hoax hypothesis has a benign explanation. All roads lead to the lunchroom.

In the last line of the essay I comment that "I do not await capitulation from this obstinate school of thought." It will take some of you several years to finally get this, until it finally sinks in. If your lunchroom hypothesis was so true, it wouldn't even tolerate critiques from the likes of Bill Kelly and myself.

ReOpenKennedyCase is the central gathering spot for those who support this hypothesis. You are entitled to your own beliefs about what happened inside the TSBD. I would like to see someone put together a cohesive narrative that at least gets Baker from the front lobby to the roof. Adding details about what A & S, Dougherty, Piper, West, Oswald, Mooney, ATF agents, etc. did with themselves. Because the lunchroom hoaxers are going to have to agree on a narrative to gain credibility. You don't have it right now, not outside of your own tribe.
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin
http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXOA5ZK/ref=s9_simh_

Sun 18 May 2014, 1:52 pm
Richard Gilbride wrote:Lee Farley,

Again I must apologize for beginning this topic with inexact language. I have read T & B's testimonies at least 2 dozen times and have the bad habit of thinking I can perfectly recall them, without having to dig them out again.

Most of us at some time or other have done it.

And I said that T, B & O were all "in the lunchroom" but, regrettably, wasn't more specific. And the matter was straightened out on page 1 of this thread. So it's a bit much to listen to your hyperbole about me being a compulsive liar.

The basics are that T, B & O were within a 3-foot radius of the lunchroom doorframe. Truly mentioned details he could only have garnered from moseying up to Baker, and Baker even testified that "Mr. Truly had come up to my side here." So the vestibule door had to close. Even though this was never mentioned in testimony.

We disagree on whether it was closed for enough time to allow Adams & Styles to pass. I take the position that there must have been unspoken pieces of human interaction around that lunchroom doorframe, to allow the A & S event to happen. You maintain  that my position is ludicrous. Fine. But I provided an A & S time estimate in my essay to back up my position on this.

It's called "shoehorning", Richard. "must have been unstated human interaction..." + "time estimate" = mathematical certainty to you? Lee was right. It is ludicrous - even by LN shoehorning standards.  

The only critique I have seen thus far of the A & S time estimate comes from Greg Parker, who says my "insistence that A & S could not get out in time is based on a bunch of your own assumptions and hand-picked evidence. ALL the timings are meaningless because of the assumptions used."

On the contrary, I carefully measured every known distance & action A & S took, and gave them extreme latitude to get them downstairs as quickly as possible. And it's just not possible that they got outside before T & B would have noticed them.

Based on certain assumptions as to how soon after the shots they left and how quickly T & B got to the stairs. When you (or anyone) start relying on maths based around a set of assumptions and try and sell the results as hard fact, my bullshitometer goes off.  

So the timings are not meaningless. This is a hide-your-head-in-the-sand kind of statement, full of intellectual conceit, something I would expect from Sean Murphy when he says, "This is a non-starter for me." It's only a non-starter in regards to his lunchroom hoax hypothesis.

Sean is spot on. 

The next item Lee Farley rails against me concerns my list of points that mesh in the T & B testimonies, as regards T & B meeting up in the front lobby. B said it, T said it was a possibility but he didn't remember that close. Lee gets into his vicious mode and tears into me for daring to intimate that this was a point the testimonies shared in common. The major point being that there are a heck of a lot of correspondences between the 2 testimonies.

But NOT prior to the testimonies. What does that tell you? The reliance on WC testimony and the total lack of interest in any statements prior, is another LN hallmark.

So much that I would say, did Truly witness the same Pontiac crash that Baker says he also witnessed? Sure looks that way to me.

Our next bone of contention is the Baker-asking-where-the-stairs-are issue. We can say he was lying, but in every instance where we find an anomaly to the evidence supporting the official destination, we have every right to ask if there is a benign explanation. And we should accept that benign explanation before making the jump to saying the destination was never reached.

But you haven't given this benign explanation. I am rather taken with Stan's thoughts on this. Maybe you can have a look and address what he said? 

Whether or not the Leo Sauvage story is correct (that Baker led the way up the 1st flight), the destination was still reached.

Let's ignore the mutual exclusion bit... unless Baker had a doppelganger who led Truly while he followed. 

And I take the position that for every single piece of evidence, in the totality of the evidence, that supports the lunchroom hoax hypothesis has a benign explanation. All roads lead to the lunchroom.

Great! Let's hear those benign explanations. Lets's also hear the benign explanation for Baker not mentioning Oswald in his affidavit. Let's hear the benign explanation for Baker testifying that they got the elevator one floor above where the incident took place. Let's hear the benign explanation for the Biffle account. Let's hear the benign explanation for Fritz' brain fart and complete mental break-down into a stuttering idiot when confronted with questions by the WC on this subject. Let's hear the benign explanation for Oswald being let go by cop at front entrance stories attributed to police sources as appearing in a number of papers that weekend.  

In the last line of the essay I comment that "I do not await capitulation from this obstinate school of thought." It will take some of you several years to finally get this, until it finally sinks in. If your lunchroom hypothesis was so true, it wouldn't even tolerate critiques from the likes of Bill Kelly and myself.

It doesn't tolerate logical debate. But lack of evidence and zero logic doesn't stop DVP et al, and it doesn't stop you. You all have your shoehorns, and and you are going to use them!

ReOpenKennedyCase is the central gathering spot for those who support this hypothesis. You are entitled to your own beliefs about what happened inside the TSBD. I would like to see someone put together a cohesive narrative that at least gets Baker from the front lobby to the roof. Adding details about what A & S, Dougherty, Piper, West, Oswald, Mooney, ATF agents, etc. did with themselves. Because the lunchroom hoaxers are going to have to agree on a narrative to gain credibility. You don't have it right now, not outside of your own tribe.

I'm afraid Richard, you are not the arbiter of what needs to be done in order for it to be credible. That's another LN tactic. "Unless you can tell who did it, you got nuthin'!"  

Your petulance in calling this a "tribe" seems to be some sort of payback for my calling H & L supporters a cult group. 

But it doesn't work as the insult it's meant to be. Their behavior matches all the criteria for cult status - including adherence to the occasional utterances of an unseen leader resulting in little, if any independence of thought. The work is holy writ. The myth is spoken as proven reality and there is no room for any dissent. Outsiders with ideas that go against Fearless Leader will not be tolerated. They will be forever banned. Facebook groups on the subject will be closed to public scrutiny. Only "true believers" allowed.

A tribe on the other hand, may be rallied around a core set of beliefs, but within that, dissent is allowed, personal beliefs are allowed, disagreements are allowed, telling the "owner" he is a prick is allowed.  

The Cold War ran on bullshit.
              Me

"So what’s an independent-minded populist like me to do? I’ve had to grovel in promoting myself on social media, even begging for Amazon reviews and Goodreads ratings, to no avail." 
Don Jeffries

"I've been aware of Greg Parker's work for years, and strongly recommend it." Peter Dale Scott

https://gregrparker.com
gerrrycam

Sun 18 May 2014, 5:17 pm
http://www.dealey.org/updown.pdf

The following Walkthrough of the Texas School Book Depository was written for the

March, 2008 volume of The Dealey Plaza Echo, the journal of the British Assassination

Research group: Dealey Plaza UK. It ran exclusively in that journal, and many months

later put, this version was put on-line by Jerry Dealey. Back issues of The Dealey Plaza

Echo are available at the Mary Farrell Foundation web site: www.MaryFerrell.org. (To

find this article, do a search on the term “Elevator”.

The Ups and Downs of the TSBD
Colin_Crow
Colin_Crow

Sun 18 May 2014, 6:00 pm
This first screenshot is taken from a moving elevator. There are verticle slats visible in the gating.
There are many static shots that show only horizontal slats.
The Lunchroom Incident Revisited - Page 17 F4d125830e57c23837062d4e6a1eeb5c_zps25580b66
Colin_Crow
Colin_Crow

Sun 18 May 2014, 6:05 pm
The article that Richard referred to by Jerry Dealey can be found here.
http://www.dealey.org/sewtroll.pdf
Hasan Yusuf
Hasan Yusuf

Sun 18 May 2014, 7:25 pm
greg parker wrote:Great! Let's hear those benign explanations. Lets's also hear the benign explanation for Baker not mentioning Oswald in his affidavit. Let's hear the benign explanation for Baker testifying that they got the elevator one floor above where the incident took place. Let's hear the benign explanation for the Biffle account. Let's hear the benign explanation for Fritz' brain fart and complete mental break-down into a stuttering idiot when confronted with questions by the WC on this subject. Let's hear the benign explanation for Oswald being let go by cop at front entrance stories attributed to police sources as appearing in a number of papers that weekend.  

I wouldn't wait for Tiger brains Gilbride to give you any sort of intelligent response, Greg. Intelligence is completely foreign to him.

Sun 18 May 2014, 7:42 pm
Richard Gilbride wrote:Colin,

Continuing the excerpt from "Giving the Dealey Plaza sewer Troll a 'Lift' ",

"The north wall of the elevator was a complete wall, and the lifting mechanism was attached within that wall. As can be seen from the photos, the south wall was a 3/4 wall, and the interior of the elevator shaft could be seen from within it. Additionally, the 2 freight elevators shared a single elevator shaft, and the elevator walls between them was also a 3/4 wall, with a wire mesh on the remaining 1/4 to the roof.

I found that film footage, a very short clip at 4:39 of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tsR8PGx2ZE

So apparently the cables run through the floor of the elevator. Maybe you have another idea on that. We're looking at the west wall in the Unger photo, through the west face of the west elevator.

Lee,

You took what was a good-natured jest (lazy, when you obviously are the hardest-working guy in the community) (long & illustrious career as a Gobbledegooker- poking fun at myself, with your characterisation) 180% the wrong way. This is your problem, it seems to me. You dish it out, but can't take it. You are basically overworked. And in my estimation, that contributes to you seeing things that aren't there. Such as the Cakebread analysis of the Powell photo. And now it's the authenticity of the photo/pneumatic door mechanism to the vestibule.

These days it's me who's in the crosshairs of your anger, but next year it will be someone else. Who won't go along with your brainstorm on something such as Ralph Yates, because his own questions do not receive satisfactory answers. The best outlet for frustrations like that is an article, to present your views.

I find I've grown more conservative as time passes, having sifted through much of the JFK narrative as best I can. And hearing the older but wiser voices of people like Jerry Dealey admonish my earlier speculations. I had signed on to the lunchroom hoax story for about a year, until Barry Ernest's book woke me up, and I immediately posted on Lancer that A & S had to have passed T & B when they were in the lunchroom. I still have that download. So since 2011 I've been firmly in the official story camp. But I don't think I've ever once stated that the official story as we know it is completely true. The research is never in vain.

I'll be several hours composing a comprehensive reply to your latest posts. The gist of it is already in my head but I want to give careful attention to detail.

In the meantime, you or anybody who wants to can post something as to what their definition of proof is. To use a Fetzerian expression, "What does it take?"

Let's get a few things straight shall we?

The reason you are currently in the "crosshairs of [my] anger" as you put it is not because I have a list of people who I'm systematically working through for no other reason than I have lots of spare time.  No.  You are currently receiving these replies because your behaviour has become identical to all of those other people in the past who I have felt the need to take down a peg or two.

You are right about one thing though; I do have a habit of doing this.  But before I'm judged on this habit I would like to make a list of the people that frustrated me so much that it degenerated into an internet fist fight:

1. Raymond J. Carroll - Oddball
2. David Healey - A very, very odd man.
3. Francois Carlier - Mental case
4. David Lifton - Oddball and the only person who I believe has always worked for the other side
5. Paul Baker - A complete waste of space
6. DVP - Nuff said
7. Paul May - A disgusting little prick
8. Albert Doyle - The man who has never been wrong about anything
9. Bill Brown - A wannabe DVP with less intelligence
10. Jim Phelps - A man with far too much time on his hands
11. Paul Trejo - The pathological liar
12. Pat Speer - Utter arse licker 
13. Bob Prudhomme - Boring bastard and attention seeker
14. Ralph Cinque - Utter gonad who should have been marginalised immediately but was instead given time to create a big gang of gonads
15. Jim Fetzer - Needs a good dig and another person who liked to wave their academic superiority around

Now there is one fucked up dinner party...

There are more of course.  But they are all of the same ilk.

Now, you have to ask yourself the question why you have joined this illustrious list?  Is it because I disagree with you on a topic?  The simple answer to that is of course a big fat no. I disagree with many people on many topics and it doesn't deteriorate into this.  Go and check out the bus thread on the Education Forum.  I had many disagreements with the people who were genuinely looking for an answer.  Greg was one of them.  But there was a synergy created between six or seven people on that thread that cracked the entire thing wide open.  The problems occurred when the idiots arrived.  The belittlers and besmirchers.  The people who steadfastly thought they were right -- when the evidence proved them categorically wrong.  Those people did what you have been doing. A lot of chest beating. The evidence they presented was poor to non-existent, they couldn't work through the contradictions, and they had a habit of being "inexact."  Their arguments fell to pieces -- just like yours.

My apologies for not working out the lighthearted jest that underpinned your insulting post from yesterday.  There may be extenuating circumstances involved.  You see, I had only just finished compiling a extensive list of your insults that have included in almost everything you have written on this thread.  There are dozens and dozens of them.  So you can imagine that once I read your latest one I just automatically lumped it in with the 30 others that had been on my mind yesterday morning.

Yes, Richard.  I can take it…but taking it doesn't mean I won't respond. 

I am not saying the things I'm saying about the deterioration of your debate style to win a point. I am saying them because they are true.  You are acting exactly how Paul Trejo acts.  Twisting language, contorting around criticism, shifting the goalposts, inventing evidence, cherry picking, dismissing the obvious -- and lying.

You have left yourself in a position where your behaviour has to become more and more absurd to continue to defend this.  If I could employ these rules and techniques that you think you can get away with using then this debate would be finished.  But I can't - because you've made them up in your head due to your evidence evaporating in front of your eyes.

You are homing in on the Powell photo and pneumatic device because you think it will sway people's opinions of me.  I don't think it will work, Richard.  It hasn't up to now.  I have outlined my reasons for sitting on the fence concerning the door device.  They're sound reasons.  If you don't think they're sound then go and find me a report of a reenactment that details how the FBI and Secret Service took this self-closing device into account during these reenactments?  What impact did this device have upon the reenactments in relation to Oswald's potential movements - Baker's line of sight - and Roy Truly's actions once he was ahead of Baker.  Go find me something concrete that details how the door influenced proceedings.  There is nothing there.  

You want me, and others, to be "true believers" in the lunchroom encounter but you have provided complete garbage thus far...

Which will lead me nicely into replying to your latest set of complete absurdities.

Last edited by Hello Goodbye on Mon 19 May 2014, 1:36 am; edited 3 times in total
Colin_Crow
Colin_Crow

Sun 18 May 2014, 10:51 pm
This might summarise the argument. It would seem that the girls got to the first floor about 50 seconds after the last shot. If so they should have passed Baker and Truly on their way to the back door. This did not happen so either the girls left after B&T passed the 4th floor, or they passed while B&T were occupied in the lunchroom, or Baker and Truly were delayed before the will call counter.

Obviously there are logistical arguments for the second possibility. It would seem that B&T need to be distracted for more than a few seconds for the girls to pass unnoticed.

Here is a diagram that might be helpful. I have prepared a document that goes into detail and am hopeful it will be finished soon.

The Lunchroom Incident Revisited - Page 17 9fd6bbdc83abba2850abb52dc84ff5c9_zpsd6e1acbc
StanDane
StanDane

Sun 18 May 2014, 11:44 pm
It's always helpful to be able to visualize things and possibilities. Nice work here, Colin.
gerrrycam

Mon 19 May 2014, 1:08 am
http://www.dealey.org/updown.pdf

The following Walkthrough of the Texas School Book Depository was written for the

March, 2008 volume of The Dealey Plaza Echo, the journal of the British Assassination

Research group: Dealey Plaza UK. It ran exclusively in that journal, and many months

later put, this version was put on-line by Jerry Dealey. Back issues of The Dealey Plaza

Echo are available at the Mary Farrell Foundation web site: www.MaryFerrell.org. (To

find this article, do a search on the term “Elevator”.

The Ups and Downs of the TSBD

Mon 19 May 2014, 1:27 am
Richard Gilbride wrote:Lee Farley,

Again I must apologize for beginning this topic with inexact language. I have read T & B's testimonies at least 2 dozen times and have the bad habit of thinking I can perfectly recall them, without having to dig them out again. And I said that T, B & O were all "in the lunchroom" but, regrettably, wasn't more specific. And the matter was straightened out on page 1 of this thread. So it's a bit much to listen to your hyperbole about me being a compulsive liar.

We disagree on whether it was closed for enough time to allow Adams & Styles to pass. I take the position that there must have been unspoken pieces of human interaction around that lunchroom doorframe, to allow the A & S event to happen. You maintain  that my position is ludicrous. Fine. But I provided an A & S time estimate in my essay to back up my position on this.

On the contrary, I carefully measured every known distance & action A & S took, and gave them extreme latitude to get them downstairs as quickly as possible. And it's just not possible that they got outside before T & B would have noticed them. So the timings are not meaningless. This is a hide-your-head-in-the-sand kind of statement, full of intellectual conceit, something I would expect from Sean Murphy when he says, "This is a non-starter for me." It's only a non-starter in regards to his lunchroom hoax hypothesis.

The next item Lee Farley rails against me concerns my list of points that mesh in the T & B testimonies, as regards T & B meeting up in the front lobby. B said it, T said it was a possibility but he didn't remember that close. Lee gets into his vicious mode and tears into me for daring to intimate that this was a point the testimonies shared in common. The major point being that there are a heck of a lot of correspondences between the 2 testimonies. So much that I would say, did Truly witness the same Pontiac crash that Baker says he also witnessed? Sure looks that way to me.

Whether or not the Leo Sauvage story is correct (that Baker led the way up the 1st flight), the destination was still reached. And I take the position that for every single piece of evidence, in the totality of the evidence, that supports the lunchroom hoax hypothesis has a benign explanation. All roads lead to the lunchroom.

You truly are wasting everyone's time, Richard.

I resent having to spend my time even reading this, let alone feeling it necessary to respond.

I'm going to say one thing right now that should get you from refraining from partaking in one especially ugly, LN tactic that you have used throughout.  

I speak for myself.    

So fucking stop with the "tribe" and "lunchroom hoaxers" bollocks.  You have been regularly throwing Bill Kelly's name into the mix here to give the impression you have some sort of back up and are part of your own special "tribe" -- yet not a damn soul has had a go at Bill in any of this.

I brought his name up yesterday for the very first time in response to you passing on Bill's message that we are deluding ourselves.  I asked you to take a message back.  That he needs to reevaluate his position because his often used quote of "it only happened one way" is undermined by one of his key witnesses claiming it happened two ways.

Bill may agree with your position but I'd be very disappointed if he agreed with the methods you've employed here to try and win some imaginary war.

So let's just direct our responses to the person we are replying to, eh, and stop with all the other horse shit?

On the issue of calling you a liar. I refrained initially once I had first determined that the foundations of your original post were made with "inexact" information.  I asked you if you had purposely lied.  Your reply was that you had been inexact.  I simply do not believe you and it is my perfect right to not believe you.  You loaded your argument throughout the opening post.  I've been very clear on this.  The OTT malarkey about the vestibule door -- its weight -- its design -- the reason it was installed to block out noise to the lunchroom -- was put together to bias favour toward what came next.  I wasn't born yesterday and know exactly why you did what you did.  

I'm not here to proof read your commentary for you and give you a helpful shove in the right direction.  Especially when you have been so insulting to the entire membership of this forum.  This is war, remember?  You can go and shove your "inexactness" up your hoop and the reason why I simply will not cut you any slack on this is because of something you said in an earlier post.

"I did lay it out in the first post. You don't have the formal education to see that. Let me remind you that I majored in philosophy before earning a chemistry degree."

You did three things in these two sentences.  You raised the stakes concerning the content of your first post.  You insulted the owner of the forum.  You waved your degrees around.

But your first post was full of shit.  I don't give a flying fuck what someone's formal education is. And your degrees, it appears to me, aren't worth the paper they're written on.  

But now you want me to cut you some slack?  In different circumstances, maybe.   

Now, lets cover another important point from your first post -- I believe you made up out of thin air that the reason the vestibule door was put in place was to block out the noise to the lunchroom. I have found nothing within the record that even remotely hints that this was the reason it was put there.  You put this into your opening post to add weight to your argument that it blocked the sound of A&S.  It could very well have been put in place as a fire door but your preference was to frame it as a "noise door" (no pun intended).  If you want to provide the evidence that it was put there to specifically block out sound then by all means post it.  Here are your quotes:

"Considering the potential for irritable human traffic, the vestibule door kept disturbing sounds to a reasonable minimum. It was installed with that purpose in mind."

"The vestibule door helped muffle the sounds from the landing and stairwell, so that people in the lunchroom could eat in relative peace & quiet."

Imagine if I could do what you do?  Let me have a stab at it?

"Given the risk involved with a place that stored books and recent fire code changes, a series of fire doors were fitted to the office area to help contain flames should the building suddenly catch fire.  These fire doors would allow the stairs to still be used and help hold back toxic smoke.  But as with all fire doors in hot stuffy buildings this particular fire door was generally held open with a nearby fire extinguisher."

Case closed.  I could get good at making shit up.

You also wrote that Truly said that Baker and Oswald were 2-3 feet inside the lunchroom.  They weren't.  You wrote it because, again, it added weight that they couldn't hear noise from the stairs.

The testimony strongly suggests that Truly looked in the lunchroom from an angle and given what both T&B says happened next then the vestibule door either wasn't closed or if it was then it was closed for less than 5 seconds.  So what do you do, you invent pregnant pauses and believe things were said that we don't know about.  Now, there's a winning methodology if ever I've seen one.  

Your timings don't work given the testimony.  Get over it.

If you want to finish the job that David Belin couldn't get right then I'm afraid you're going to have to go back to the drawing board.

I really have had enough of all of this.  It doesn't matter what is presented here your job now is to find ways to marginalise it, dismiss it.  There is no point prolonging this and wasting my time.

All of the aces are firmly stuck up your sleeves.

You can invent testimony.
You can change testimony.
You can ignore testimony.
You can dismiss testimony.
You can add pregnant pauses to 3 second conversations to make them last 15 seconds.
You can slow and speed up time at will.
You can dismiss newspaper articles.
You can dismiss well sourced books.
You can pick and choose the documents you want to use.
You can create from thin air benign excuses for inconvenient evidence.
You can lie.
You can distort.
You can deceive.

No one here stands a chance debating anyone who has the ability to do all of this.  This is why none of us have ever won an argument against John McAdams or David Von Pein.  

Don't believe me?

Go and ask them…

Last edited by Hello Goodbye on Mon 19 May 2014, 1:52 am; edited 2 times in total

Mon 19 May 2014, 1:28 am
Colin,

This in response to your e-mail and some further thoughts about the elevator. I haven't looked at any of the latest posts.

Sterling effort to sort through that FBI doc that way; at least we've got another source beside Lovelady, assumedly with a wristwatch, but no gimme as to whether he was accurate.

I had looked through the doc before opening your e-mail, so as not to bias my thinking. What struck me is what seems to be a "systemic" error. The difference between recreations 1 & 2 takes an extra 9 seconds for taking the elevator down from 6 to 1, as opposed to using the stairs. But in recreations 6 & 7, it takes an extra 27 seconds and the elevator travels only from 6 to 2.

Beats me.

Those elevators could be called, riding between floors with no one in them, only if the outer gates were rolled down. I think that is what Jerry Dealey was saying or had meant to say. I'm fairly sure he got his information from the 6th Floor Museum and Gary Mack. Gary has shown puzzlement in the past as to the nuances of the elevators, which are definitely confusing. (At least we have agreement on one certainty- confusion).

Mon 19 May 2014, 2:24 am
Stan,

You have asked for my own definition of proof. I have been debating myself as to whether to even give you a response, as you have shown yourself to be more of a cheap shot artist than a researcher. Only you can resolve that conundrum.

But my personal definition would be my distillation of the scientific method, coupled with Rudyard Kipling's 5 maxims for a writer.
Look, Measure, Test, Record, Demonstrate, Who, What, Why, Where, When.

The Oxford dictionary defines proof as "evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement."

My essay was written with the intent to wrap the argument for the lunchroom incident so tight that it could be expressed as a mathematical/physics problem. I succeeded in doing that, but a lot of you just don't buy that kind of analysis.

I thought of your own estimate when I gave Adams only 4 seconds at the passenger elevator, and the following paragraph was written entirely with you in mind:

"A word about margin of error- these values are skewed in Adams' favor. In terms of a Bell-curve distribution of possible values, they represent a collection from the narrow left-hand region. There is not an equally-balanced, plus-minus margin of error in these estimates. For example, we have estimated that Adams made it from her window to the passenger elevator in 4 seconds. It is much less likely that she made it in 3.9 rather than 7 seconds. And we will soon appreciate that the values assigned to Adams' movements are not realistic. The numbers, in the final analysis, only give us a qualitative understanding of the events addressed here. But that understanding is precise."

Do you really think literary-types understand what P-chem demands of the mind, or might they on occasion be jello-heads? Watch out getting swayed by long-entrenched verbosity. Facts iz facts.
Hasan Yusuf
Hasan Yusuf

Mon 19 May 2014, 3:46 am
Richard Gilbride wrote:My essay was written with the intent to wrap the argument for the lunchroom incident so tight that it could be expressed as a mathematical/physics problem. I succeeded in doing that, but a lot of you just don't buy that kind of analysis.

True. A lot of a people don't buy into a bullshit analysis by an utter bullshit talker. Who could blame them?
beowulf

Mon 19 May 2014, 3:59 am
and the elevators would not move unless both gates were closed (for safety reasons). Additionally, the gates on any other floor would not open if the elevator was not on that floor. (I suppose they could be "jimmied" in some way).
[Richard then comments] "But Jerry was mistaken, as this clip from the Alyea film shows. It was taken as the photographer rode up to the 6th floor in the west elevator. (Notice the stairway sign)"

The shot does not prove Jerry wrong. The picture is taken from inside the elevator and looks onto a floor.  Jerry said only the floor the elevator was on could have an open outside gate (and that gates on other floors could not be open), the elevator was on the floor we see in the picture so naturally could have an open gate. Assuming Jerry's point--that outside gates were stuck closed unless elevator was there-- is true, it'd be impossible for Truly to look up and see elevators stuck on 5th floor. Of course we know that didn't because the FBI time trials a week later had 1st, 4th, 6th floor elevator Oswald escape scenarios, but none with a 5th floor elevator.  There's no way the FBI would have neglected this route if Truly had mentioned to them he'd seen both (or even one for that matter) of the elevators stuck on the 5th.
StanDane
StanDane

Mon 19 May 2014, 4:29 am
Richard Gilbride wrote:My essay was written with the intent to wrap the argument for the lunchroom incident so tight that it could be expressed as a mathematical/physics problem. I succeeded in doing that, but a lot of you just don't buy that kind of analysis.
When you started this thread (which may soon be the most viewed thread in the entire forum), I was looking forward to a good discussion here. I was a "second floorer" until last fall, and then based on what I read over at ED and here at ROKC, I changed my thinking. So if you had compelling information and arguments that support a second floor encounter, then I wanted to see them. Your first post intrigued me. I'm not married to any position. I can be swayed by facts and logic.

Right away you talked about mathematics proving your point. I asked:
Stan Dane wrote:Several times you've said "simple mathematics" proves your point. If so, distill your argument into a simple formula/equation to show your proof. Include uncertainties in those numbers (e.g., Adams said she made it to the first floor in no more than 60 seconds; you say it was 85-90 seconds). Explain why some numbers (yours) are better than others. Lay the whole thing out succinctly and it should be obvious to all. Right?
You immediately replied:
Richard Gilbride wrote:I laid the whole thing out in my first post. It doesn't really involve numbers. Just about any numbers can be plugged into the time estimates, as long as we stay within the parameters that Adams & Styles did not reach the 1st floor freight elevators before Truly & Baker, and Adams & Styles arrived at the 4th floor landing before Truly & Baker.
Right then, you lost me. You said it was a math problem (still do), and then you say numbers don't matter as long as the parameters (desired outcomes?) stay with limits? (And besides, you didn't lay it out in your first post.)

Then you became defensive and your good-natured veneer slipped away. You said Greg attacked Bill Kelly. This floored me. I could only remember Greg speaking well of Bill. Did I miss something?

I went back through our PM thread and confirmed I was right. At that point, I didn't trust anything you had to say. If you'll make shit up or stretch something into something it's not, that's not being truthful. At best, that's deception.

You're the one who's poisoned this discussion.

PS: I don't hate your guts. I think there's a good guy somewhere in there. But you got some issues and you're not doing yourself any favors. It's your behavior that's alienated you here.
beowulf

Mon 19 May 2014, 4:52 am
This might summarise the argument. It would seem that the girls got to the first floor about 50 seconds after the last shot. If so they should have passed Baker and Truly on their way to the back door. This did not happen so either the girls left after B&T passed the 4th floor, or they passed while B&T were occupied in the lunchroom, or Baker and Truly were delayed before the will call counter.

Or it did happen, Sandra Styles wrote to Sean Murphy in 2011 that, "I told an interviewer (FBI? not sure) that when we got downstairs, the police were there so I assumed we went down quickly".

Marrion Baker = "the police". "When we got downstairs" was after she left the stairs and was on the ground floor.  If she had seen Officer Barnett across the alley after she exited the building, its more likely she'd have said "when we got outside". Styles also wrote to Sean, "The interviewer told me it took the police 15-20 minutes to get to the Depository". And she later wrote, "I am glad to have the 15-minute thing put to rest; even then it didn't make sense that it would take the DPD that long to cross the street".
Styles was clearly talking about inside the TSBD. When she said she saw police when they got downstairs, she could only mean she saw Baker on the ground floor (and colloquially, we say "the police are here" plural, even when its a single officer).
For his part, I doubt Baker paid attention to any woman he passed on his way from his motorcycle to the roof. Maybe its a stereotype, but surely Baker had a pretty good idea that the shooter he was looking for was male. Surprised)

Mon 19 May 2014, 6:23 am
The First Truly Police Officer

Yesterday I posted the following quote from Roy Truly's Warren Commission testimony:

Mr. BELIN. Then what did you do or see? 
Mr. TRULY. I heard a policeman in this area along here make a remark, "Oh, goddam," or something like that. I just remember that. It wasn't a motorcycle policeman. It was one of the Dallas policeman, I think-- words to that effect.
I wouldn't know him. I just remember there was a policeman standing along in this area about 7, 8, or 10 feet from me.

Anyone any ideas who this police officer was that Truly claimed he was stood this close to outside the TSBD?
Colin_Crow
Colin_Crow

Mon 19 May 2014, 7:52 am
Hello Goodbye wrote:The First Truly Police Officer

Yesterday I posted the following quote from Roy Truly's Warren Commission testimony:

Mr. BELIN. Then what did you do or see? 
Mr. TRULY. I heard a policeman in this area along here make a remark, "Oh, goddam," or something like that. I just remember that. It wasn't a motorcycle policeman. It was one of the Dallas policeman, I think-- words to that effect.
I wouldn't know him. I just remember there was a policeman standing along in this area about 7, 8, or 10 feet from me.

Anyone any ideas who this police officer was that Truly claimed he was stood this close to outside the TSBD?
Lee,
I'm going from memory but I think Barnett (east) and one of the Smith's (west) were nearest  the TSBD. There may have been one other. I'm pretty sure this was discussed a while back on Duncan's forum.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum