REOPENKENNEDYCASE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ROKC IS NOW CLOSED AND IS READ ONLY. WE THANK THOSE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED US OVER THE LAST 14 YEARS.

Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
Brian says...Sat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 pmEd.Ledoux
last drinks before the bar closesSat 30 Dec 2023, 2:46 pmTony Krome
The Mystery of Dirk Thomas KunertSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:23 pmTony Krome
Vickie AdamsSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:14 pmgreg_parker
Busted again: Tex ItaliaSat 30 Dec 2023, 9:22 amEd.Ledoux
The Raleigh CallSat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 ambarto
Was Oswald ever confronted with the physical rifle?Sat 30 Dec 2023, 12:03 amCastroSimp
Who Dat? Fri 29 Dec 2023, 10:24 pmTony Krome
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website
Keywords

Floor  frazier  David  tsbd  Lankford  zapruder  paine  2  Weigman  3  3a  +Lankford  prayer  4  beckley  Darnell  doyle  fritz  Lifton  Humor  11  hosty  Theory  9  tippit  Mason  

Like/Tweet/+1

The Unsinkable Marguerite Oswald

+2
TerryWMartin
The_Prodigal_Son
6 posters
Go down
The_Prodigal_Son
The_Prodigal_Son

oswald - The Unsinkable Marguerite Oswald - Page 2 Empty The Unsinkable Marguerite Oswald

Mon 10 Nov 2014, 12:18 am
First topic message reminder :

Excerpt from The Unsinkable Marguerite Oswald by Harold Feldman printed in the September, 1964, edition of The Realist:

If the cocksure rogues who planned to condemn Lee Harvey Oswald as the lone assassin of President Kennedy had known his mother better, things would have been different. Certainly they would have taken pause and, perhaps, looked around for another “patsy.”

Now they have her on their trail, and they snarl at her from all sides with malice and menace. Their literary agents cannot write three lines about her without suggesting that the only proper place for this aging Antigone who cries for justice for her murdered son is an asylum or a grave.

Yes, there is a touch of the prima donna about Marguerite Oswald as she garners some egoistic comfort from her isolation. Here and there she responds to the icy deafness of the dominations and powers with extravagant suspicion and speculation. But if Ibsen is right and the strongest is the one who stands alone for integrity and honor, then Marguerite Oswald is the strongest woman in America. One thing is sure for anyone who knows about her life and knows her—she is a brave, bold and good woman.

I first saw her in action on Saturday morning, June 27. I arrived in Dallas with two friends the day before to review the historical landmarks of the Kennedy assassination, and a brief telephone call to Lee Harvey Oswald’s mother in Fort Worth brought an invitation to guide us on a tour of Oak Cliff. That is the section of Dallas where her son is said to have killed Patrolman J. D. Tippit, where be was captured three quarters of an hour after the policeman’s death, an hour and a half after sniper bullets had blasted the President.

The first surprise was her voice. Even I, who was skeptical of the government reports about the Dallas mayhem from the start, was led by newspaper accounts to expect a gruff paranoid harridan. What I heard instead was a pleasant ladylike welcome—not a trace of cautious ambiguity, not a second of hesitation in the warm courtesy that carried within in it only a faint suggestion of loneliness.

Marguerite Oswald is 56 years old but there is hardly a wrinkle on her round pink-cheeked face. Short, plump, even dumpy, her avoirdupois only indicates what Norman Mailer calls “happy fat.” Her face and figure are lively souvenirs of what must have been a pretty vivacious girlhood, and the added weight, horn-rimmed bifocals, and salt-and-pepper hair pulled back into a knot have only turned it into an agreeable matronliness.

Mrs. Oswald was a $10-a-day practical nurse when the President’s murder turned her into the fighting defender of the Oswald family honor (she was fired a few days later); it is easy to imagine her busy about a sick room, cajoling, comforting, chatting, and standing for no nonsense about taking one’s nux vomica.
The part of Oak Cliff where Lee Oswald lived and J. D. Tippit died is a deteriorating neighborhood whose large houses have turned into so many rooms for low rent. Our tour came several days after the newspapers reported how Oswald was prevented from starting a homicidal career with Richard Nixon only by his wife locking him in his room.

We went to the rooming house near 8th and Neely where Lee and Marina lived at the time. Marguerite was admitted with sympathetic deference and she went form room to room, pointing out that none of the doors had ever had locks on them.

Life Goes to a Darkroom

Before we left, she photographed the fence against which Lee was supposed to be standing when he had his picture taken for future reference, holding a rifle, a gun, and a Bolshevik newspaper. “Look here,” she said, and pointed to the bottom of the fence, obviously very different from what appeared on the dubious cover of Life.

After we located the spot on E. 10th St. where Tippit was found dead, we walked about a block and a half to the home of Helen Louise Markham. She is the one who, the reports say, was the lone witness to that shooting. Oak Cliff almost becomes a slum there. Mrs. Markham lives in a small apartment above a barber shop and she was pacing back and forth, her infant grand-daughter in her arms, when we arrived.
No, she could not talk to us now, she had to mind the baby. We offered to pay for a baby-sitter. No again, but could we return at 2:15 when her husband would be home and we could talk freely. Helen Markham is still young—but shabby, beaten, and spiritless, Mrs. Oswald spontaneously reached for the baby and held her for a moment.

At 2:15 we plowed through the Turkish-bath afternoon Texas heat, carrying six-packs of Coke against the anxious hour we foresaw in the hot stale air of the Markham apartment. As we approached 328½ E. 9th where the Markhams live, we noticed two Dallas police station wagons parked outside, and just as we turned the corner of 9th and Patton we saw them pull away.

Mrs. Oswald guessed what the police were there for. Up the stairs she charged, and there we met the most pitiful spectacle in our experience. Mr. Markham stood in the doorway, and behind him the alleged witness to the Tippit murder cowered to one side. The man was a quivering wreck. Every muscle in his lean frame was a-tremble, his mouth twitched uncontrollably, and his teeth were actually chattering from fright.

“Please go away,” he groaned like a whipped puppy, “Please go away and don’t come back.”

“You’ve been threatened, haven’t you?” Mrs. Oswald asked.

“Yes. Please go away.”

Outside, Mrs. Oswald’s eyes grew red fighting back the tears that welled up. “That poor man!” she kept repeating. She wanted to go to Washington at once to report the incident to the Warren Commission. “Did you gee him?” she said. “He was frightened to death. What right do they have to threaten him? This is still America, by God,” she cried. “We’re going to see if they can get away with this.”

Bill Markham, the 20-year-old son of Helen Markham, followed us outside. His mother and stepfather, be said, were too scared of the police and Secret Service to talk to us but he wasn’t. He would meet us outside the public library some three blocks away.

He spoke to us in Mrs. Oswald’s car, and unutterable contempt for his parents showed in every word. Also clear was his desperate need of money. Would we pay for information about the Tippit killing?

It only takes an hour of independent work on the Oswald case to make one circumspect and guarded. We might be charged later with bribing a witness, and then how did we know that the boy was not every bit of the liar he said his mother was. The sullen boy with the handsome tanned face topped with black curls admitted he had a police record, that the police had gotten him fired from several jobs by so-called parole check-ups. He was not working and what be wanted more than anything else right now was money.

“I need it, ma’am,” he said slowly, “and I’m going to get myself some.” Yes the Secret Service had told his parents that “there would be trouble” if they talked to outsiders. “But, I’m not afraid, ma’am. I need money and if I don’t get some one way, I’ll get it another.”

Why not go away to another state and start again clean, Mrs, Oswald pleaded with him.

“The police’ll be after me anyway, ma’am, and I can’t afford a lawyer. I can’t afford anything.”

“Please take care,” she told him. “Oh Lord, poor people are so helpless. If you were middle class you wouldn’t have these problems. And don’t be so sure you can win against the police. My Lee was so sure.”

As he was leaving the car, she took his hand. “Take care of yourself,” she said, “and if you get into trouble and need help, please get in touch with me. I’ll find some way to help you.”

Two days later Marguerite called us to come over fast. She greeted us, holding up a newspaper in her hand. The Markham boy had been picked up for burglary and parole violation.

It recalled the similar arrest a few weeks before of Abraham Bolden, the first Negro Secret Service man assigned to the Presidential bodyguard, on charges of cooperating with counterfeiters. There, too, the charge was entirely based on the testimony of two witnesses who themselves were under police charges.

“I keep thinking, maybe talking to us got the boy arrested,” Mrs. Oswald said. “We’ve got to help him. We gave him our word.”

And for seven hours Marguerite Oswald was on the phone trying to get young Markham a lawyer. She called Mark Lane in New York, called Greg Olds of the Dallas Civil Liberties Union (who made vague, unfulfilled pledges), called the Lawyers Referral Service, called six attorneys in Fort Worth who all begged off.

Over and over she asked for a lawyer to visit the boy in jail to make sure he was represented by counsel. Shadow images crossed her mind of the boy being killed in jail as her son was. She offered to pay the legal expenses but it was no go. She got promises, recommendations, apologies, but no lawyer.

Mark Lane finally managed to persuade a reluctant colleague in Dallas to see young Markham.

Full article available at:

ratical.org ratville JFK UMO

I have many questions concerning Helen Louise Markham's sons and need your help sorting through the bizarre story that resulted from Marguerite Oswald appearing on the doorstep of Helen Markham on June 27th, 1964.

Last edited by The Prodigal Son on Mon 10 Nov 2014, 8:59 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Changed name of magazine)

oswald - The Unsinkable Marguerite Oswald - Page 2 Empty Re: The Unsinkable Marguerite Oswald

Tue 11 Nov 2014, 6:48 am
greg parker wrote:
The Prodigal Son wrote:
steely dan wrote:It sticks out to me that Markham claims he bumped into Ozzie and Tolliver in the Texas Movie Theater of all places. Really, what are the odds.

I partially agree.  But we must also factor in that the movie house was a place where kids did hang out and the Texas Theater was the local movie house for this part of Oak Cliff where these young lads lived.  I can imagine all kids of deals went down at the movies...
The same happens with the Markhams. To Feldman, they are terrified of the authorities. To the FBI, they were terrified of the old harridan and her two scruffy accomplices.
Armstrong is working on that as we speak, Greg. There apparently were 2 sets of Markhams. His tentative title is Mark & Ham.
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin
http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXOA5ZK/ref=s9_simh_

oswald - The Unsinkable Marguerite Oswald - Page 2 Empty Re: The Unsinkable Marguerite Oswald

Tue 11 Nov 2014, 7:41 am
Paul McGurkenfarklein wrote:
greg parker wrote:
The Prodigal Son wrote:
steely dan wrote:It sticks out to me that Markham claims he bumped into Ozzie and Tolliver in the Texas Movie Theater of all places. Really, what are the odds.

I partially agree.  But we must also factor in that the movie house was a place where kids did hang out and the Texas Theater was the local movie house for this part of Oak Cliff where these young lads lived.  I can imagine all kids of deals went down at the movies...
The same happens with the Markhams. To Feldman, they are terrified of the authorities. To the FBI, they were terrified of the old harridan and her two scruffy accomplices.
Armstrong is working on that as we speak, Greg. There apparently were 2 sets of Markhams. His tentative title is Mark & Ham.
Great! He's going Biblical! That should sell well in the bible belt... and be another book a very busy loyer type could expound on at symposiums without ever reading it!

The Cold War ran on bullshit.
              Me

"So what’s an independent-minded populist like me to do? I’ve had to grovel in promoting myself on social media, even begging for Amazon reviews and Goodreads ratings, to no avail." 
Don Jeffries

"I've been aware of Greg Parker's work for years, and strongly recommend it." Peter Dale Scott

https://gregrparker.com
steely_dan
steely_dan

Tue 11 Nov 2014, 6:19 pm
The Prodigal Son wrote:
steely dan wrote:Does anybody else feel that this episode is an attempt to reintroduce the dark skinned Rambler driver who Craig (and others) claimed they saw picking LHO up from Dealy Plaza. If thats the case, who would be behind it?. I think we can rule out the DPD and FBI.

In what way, Steely?  You mean the introduction of "Tolliver" or something else?

What I find a little bit odd is that James Markham's parole was revoked on April 8th, 1964, after he failed to report.  The police did not arrive, for all we know, until June 30th to arrest James.  That's him on the street for almost three months.  

So I have no problem with Marguerite and Feldman believing that the arrival of the Dallas Police was somehow linked to the unexpected visit of Marguerite on June 27th.
Its Tolliver and the car, lee. I'm left wondering how many 20 year old men would be unable to at least remember the make of car they had been a passenger in. At the risk of being hopelessly wrong, i think its possible Markham was bribed to come forward with a deliberately vague story, putting LHO, in a car, with a dark skinned/black driver. Please dont ask me by whom, or why....i'm already tearing my hair out.
The_Prodigal_Son
The_Prodigal_Son

Wed 12 Nov 2014, 5:55 am
steely dan wrote:
The Prodigal Son wrote:
steely dan wrote:Does anybody else feel that this episode is an attempt to reintroduce the dark skinned Rambler driver who Craig (and others) claimed they saw picking LHO up from Dealy Plaza. If thats the case, who would be behind it?. I think we can rule out the DPD and FBI.

In what way, Steely?  You mean the introduction of "Tolliver" or something else?

What I find a little bit odd is that James Markham's parole was revoked on April 8th, 1964, after he failed to report.  The police did not arrive, for all we know, until June 30th to arrest James.  That's him on the street for almost three months.  

So I have no problem with Marguerite and Feldman believing that the arrival of the Dallas Police was somehow linked to the unexpected visit of Marguerite on June 27th.
Its Tolliver and the car, lee. I'm left wondering how many 20 year old men would be unable to at least remember the make of car they had been a passenger in. At the risk of being hopelessly wrong, i think its possible Markham was bribed to come forward with a deliberately vague story, putting LHO, in a car, with a dark skinned/black driver. Please dont ask me by whom, or why....i'm already tearing my hair out.

I get you but I'm failing to read anything about the ethnicity of Tolliver into proceedings.

Here is what we do know.  

We know there is a tentative relationship between the Davis sisters (also witnesses to the aftermath of the Tippit shooting) and Larry Crafard due to the phone number being in his notebook.  

We know Crafard was almost certainly hanging around Oak Cliff in the weeks prior to the assassination.  

We know Helen Markham worked in the Eatwell Cafe in downtown Dallas where Crafard frequented.  

We know Helen Markham was a witness to the Tippit murder although her observations were somewhat contradictory.

We know Helen Markham had a son called James (or Jimmy) Markham who had, two months previous to November 22nd, been released from prison on parole for burglary. 

We know Crafard used to eat at the Eatwell Cafe:

Mr. HUBERT. But you did go to the Eatwell Restaurant on Main Street, I think it was? 
Mr. CRAFARD. It was on Commerce. 
Mr. HUBERT. Commerce. 
Mr. CRAFARD. I went there most of the time for my meals. It was, meals were cheap, nice place to go to, it was close, and I sat around there and joked with the girls and the one guy who worked in there I got acquainted with him a little bit. 

We know Crafard claimed to have been dating someone that he used to meet at the Eatwell Cafe:

Mr. HUBERT. You did have a girl you went out with you used to meet at the Eatwell? 
Mr. CRAFARD. One of the girls who worked for Jack. 
Mr. GRIFFIN. What was her name? 
Mr. CRAFARD. She went to work for him later, I can't even remember her name now. The only one of the bunch I can remember, there were three girls there roomed together, the only one I can remember is Norma, and I first got acquainted with her was over the telephone and we had quite a conversation, and we became rather friendly over the telephone and when we met we was fairly friendly. 

We know that when Crafard was questioned during his Warren Commission testimony he was questioned about a "Jimmy" and came out with an incredibly cryptic response in relation to a series of "pictures":

Mr. GRIFFIN. Did Jack also eat at the Eatwell? 
Mr. CRAFARD. He didn't eat there when I was there with him, after I went to work for him. I understood the guy knew Jack real well, in fact he got in the habit of calling me Jack Ruby, Jr., or Little Ruby, in a kind of teasing manner. He was a very friendly person. 
Mr. GRIFFIN. Was that the older man? 
Mr. CRAFARD. He was an older man; I believe the oldest man that I saw there. 
Mr. GRIFFIN. You don't recall his name, first name, do you? 
Mr. CRAFARD. No; I don't recall his first name. 
Mr. GRIFFIN. Was one of the fellows in there called Jimmy, that you recall? 
Mr. CRAFARD. Not that I recall. There is one of those messes of pictures I would like to get hold of. There is one side of them I would just as soon get ahold of and tear up.

We know that Jimmy Burt was AWOL from the Army.

We know James Markham was on parole.

We know William Smith was on parole.

We know Jimmy Burt, William Smith and James Markham were all friendly with each other.

We know William Smith said during his Warren Commission testimony that he spoke to James Markham about the Tippit murder.

We know Warren Commission counsel weren't interested in finding out what James Markham was told by William Smith.

We know Jimmy Burt claimed in an interview that the killer wasn't Oswald.

We know either James Markham or his brother William spoke to Marguerite Oswald about the Tippit murder in June 1964.

We know that three days after Marguerite Oswald's visit to the Markham house the police arrived to arrest James Markham and he fell or was pushed out of an upstairs window.

We know James Markham breached the terms of his Parole at the beginning of April, 1964.

We know the Dallas Police didn't arrest Markham until three months after he breached his terms.
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Thu 03 Aug 2017, 5:09 pm
bump

Me

"So what’s an independent-minded populist like me to do? I’ve had to grovel in promoting myself on social media, even begging for Amazon reviews and Goodreads ratings, to no avail." 
Don Jeffries

"I've been aware of Greg Parker's work for years, and strongly recommend it." Peter Dale Scott

Hugh Jorgan
Hugh Jorgan

Thu 30 Nov 2017, 9:34 pm
I think I may be able to add a bit to this post.  Growing up in Texas, I am familiar with the Texas Department of Public Safety's criminal history database and, for a nominal fee, was able to access James Markham's records.  Interesting, to say the least.  Concerning his real name, he is listed as James Alford Markham with James ALFRED Markham selected as his "primary."  Mr. Markham has numerous arrests and confinements dating back to 1960, all of which are in Dallas County Texas.  They span from the aforementioned date all the way to 1989 and include burglary, forgery, possessing drugs, parole violations and a sex offense.  When Markham died in 2008, he was serving a 30 year sentence for aggravated sexual assault.  If anyone is interested I'll be happy to post the entire record of his offenses.

It is my belief that Marguerite and her entourage did in fact talk with William Edward and he was simply using his brother's notoriety in attempt to make a little money off the trio.  However, the actions of the group probably did expedite his brother's arrest being that a group of beatnik "Yankees" would have no doubt thrown up red flags to the ultra conservatives of 1964 Dallas. 

William Edward died in December of 2016.
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Thu 30 Nov 2017, 11:29 pm
Hugh Jorgan wrote:I think I may be able to add a bit to this post.  Growing up in Texas, I am familiar with the Texas Department of Public Safety's criminal history database and, for a nominal fee, was able to access James Markham's records.  Interesting, to say the least.  Concerning his real name, he is listed as James Alford Markham with James ALFRED Markham selected as his "primary."  Mr. Markham has numerous arrests and confinements dating back to 1960, all of which are in Dallas County Texas.  They span from the aforementioned date all the way to 1989 and include burglary, forgery, possessing drugs, parole violations and a sex offense.  When Markham died in 2008, he was serving a 30 year sentence for aggravated sexual assault.  If anyone is interested I'll be happy to post the entire record of his offenses.

It is my belief that Marguerite and her entourage did in fact talk with William Edward and he was simply using his brother's notoriety in attempt to make a little money off the trio.  However, the actions of the group probably did expedite his brother's arrest being that a group of beatnik "Yankees" would have no doubt thrown up red flags to the ultra conservatives of 1964 Dallas. 

I think some here would really appreciate seeing James' record, but you may have leave it for a bit. The forum software won't allow some actions until after a certain amount of time, or in some cases, a certain number of posts have been made. It is set that way to try and discouraging spammers. 

What's your opinion on James - a possibility as the real Tippit killer?

Me

Don Jeffries

StanDane
StanDane
https://prayermanleeharveyoswald.blogspot.com/

Fri 01 Dec 2017, 5:42 am
I found this a few years ago when I had a trial subscription to Ancestry. I'm not sure where I posted it at the time so I'll repost here. FWIW.

oswald - The Unsinkable Marguerite Oswald - Page 2 James%20Alfred%20Markham%20Highlight
Hugh Jorgan
Hugh Jorgan

Fri 01 Dec 2017, 9:25 am
greg parker wrote:
Hugh Jorgan wrote:I think I may be able to add a bit to this post.  Growing up in Texas, I am familiar with the Texas Department of Public Safety's criminal history database and, for a nominal fee, was able to access James Markham's records.  Interesting, to say the least.  Concerning his real name, he is listed as James Alford Markham with James ALFRED Markham selected as his "primary."  Mr. Markham has numerous arrests and confinements dating back to 1960, all of which are in Dallas County Texas.  They span from the aforementioned date all the way to 1989 and include burglary, forgery, possessing drugs, parole violations and a sex offense.  When Markham died in 2008, he was serving a 30 year sentence for aggravated sexual assault.  If anyone is interested I'll be happy to post the entire record of his offenses.

I think some here would really appreciate seeing James' record, but you may have leave it for a bit. The forum software won't allow some actions until after a certain amount of time, or in some cases, a certain number of posts have been made. It is set that way to try and discouraging spammers. 

What's your opinion on James - a possibility as the real Tippit killer?

I think the possibility of James being the Tippit killer is certainly viable and worth consideration.  It makes more sense (IMO) than many of the other suspects and, from James' own actions, he does show a disposition towards acts of crime from a very young age.  From what Prodigal Son posted, it appears that a lot of young men in the Oak Cliff area had nothing better to do than get into trouble with the law.  If someone needed a tool in a conspiracy, Oak Cliff would be the spot and Markham was in the perfect position living with his mother with only a block or so to go and hide out.  I don't think there is anything suspicious about his arrest taking so long, however.  In Texas, even to this day, police don't usually pick up suspects on minor warrants, instead they opt to wait until the perp gets pulled over or detained by police on another matter (that is why they always call in checks when someone gets stopped).  Now a murder or rape charge is different and they will proactively pursue the warrant instantly.  I would like to see a picture of him as a young man.

I used to work for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (Texas prisons) from 1994-2002.  As with most things in life, I have been a "day late and a dollar short."  We used to travel to Huntsville transporting inmates all the time and, had I been more of a buff at the time, I could have easily found out what unit he was on and spoken to him (assuming he agreed to speak with me).  It would have been fascinating to hear what he had to say.  Such is how things go, I guess.  For those who have never been, Huntsville, TX is ground zero for the prison system in Texas.  The entire town is one prison after another including the oldest and most historic prisons in the state and it seems like one out of every two people you speak with works for a prison in some capacity. 

Likewise with William Edward.  He died only a year ago.  It would have been just as interesting to hear his side.  As far as I know, no one contacted him in later years.  He was only 72 years old, which, isn't really that old considering over 50 years have passed since 1964. His recollections of Marguerite alone would have been priceless.  I have photos of William Edward from his obituary page but can't post them until I have been a member on the board for 7 days.  As soon as I can I will put those up.  He worked as a roofer all his life, according to his obituary:

"William Edward Markham, 72, passed away peacefully on December 8, 2016 surrounded by his family. He was born on March 11, 1944 to Arthur and Helen (Hamilton) Markham of Dallas, TX.

Will was born and raised in Dallas and other than nine years of living in Florida, has made Dallas his home his entire life. He was a roofer by trade, and along with his brother, installed many, many wood roof shingles. Will’s favorite hobby was fishing and while he enjoyed salt-water fishing in Florida, back here at home he enjoyed fishing for any kind, anytime, anywhere and mostly would catch and release. He was a Christian by faith and believed that his God was everywhere and to be on the water was his church. Will was also an expert chess player. He loved his kids and they were #1 in his life and loved to give them nicknames. Affectionately known as Grandpa, by the grandchildren, his family was truly his greatest pleasure in life.

Preceding him in death are his parents Arthur and Helen Markham and siblings Arthur Markham, James Markham, Mattie Markham and Helen Markham. (Emphasis mine- Hugh)

Those left to cherish his memory are his loving wife of 46 years, Laverne Markham; children Michelle Markham and husband, Carlos Rios, Misti Zapata and husband, Jose and Maryette Miranda and husband, Saul; grandchildren: Christopher, Mario, Cecilia, Lucio, Jose, Armando, William, Miranda, Kimberly, Junior and Jonathan; great-grandchildren: Joell, Lillian, Nieson, Laylah, Mila, Angel, Anastacia and Joseph; his furry companions: Greta, Tiger and Chion; and many extended family members including cousins, nieces, nephews and many friends that will miss him dearly.

The family will receive visitors at a Gathering on Sunday, December 11, 2016, from 3:00 – 6:00 p.m. at Roselawn Funeral Home, Seagoville, TX."

Notice that he ran his roofing business with "his brother"?  That must have been Arthur Markham since James could hardly help him roof from prison.  Also, Helen testified that she had five children. So, according to this obituary it is apparent that the kids are all deceased as it lists William Edward being preceded in death by by four siblings: Arthur, James, Mattie and Helen.  This also verifies the previous post of the identity of Helen Markham's husband and father of the children as one Arthur Markham. 

I will see if I can merely copy in paste the James Markham criminal record in another post. If a reader has never read one of these reports they can be a bit confusing.  If it is, I can break it down in a synopsis.  Basically the report is in two parts: arrests and confinements. 

Thanks to everyone who has contributed such great information here.  You guys do you leg work!  Cheers!
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Fri 01 Dec 2017, 12:06 pm
I thoroughly get what you're saying about missed opportunities.

I know of similar stories of missed opportunities, because certain things were not known at the time of access to certain individuals. 

I may start another thread s as not derail this one, but given your background, I have a question for you.

Me

Don Jeffries

Hugh Jorgan
Hugh Jorgan

Fri 01 Dec 2017, 12:40 pm
Greg, sounds good.  I hope I can answer!

Here is the criminal record of James Markham.  As I stated, it can be a bit confusing concerning dispositions, court confinements, etc.  However, it is basically in parts: summary of offender personal info, arrest summary and, finally, confinements and actual custodies.  Oftentimes it appears that an arrest summary should automatically result in a confinement but this is not always the case.  Sometimes confinements are community supervision (probation) or county jail.  If anyone has any questions about the information just post and I'll try to answer it.  Markham was originally charged with burglary of a coin operated machine in 1960 and concluded his arrest for aggravated sexual assault in 1989, which is the sentence he was serving at the time of his death.  It would be interesting to know the details of that case since all of his other crimes are property crimes and the sexual assault seems to be departure from his past actions. 

Criminal History Conviction Search
Search Information
Batch #3958850
Search #17989077
Search SummaryMARKHAM,JAMES
User Name
Date2017-11-29T21:32:34.417692-06:00
MARKHAM,JAMES ALFRED (SID: 01057302)
SID01057302
Date Last Updated7/28/2017
SEXMALE
RACEWHITE
HEIGHT5'9"
WEIGHT160 LBS
EYESHAZEL
HAIRBROWN
PLACE OF BIRTHTEXAS
NAME(S)

• MARKHAM,JAMES 
  • MARKHAM,JAMES A 
  • MARKHAM,JAMES ALFORD 
  • MARKHAM,JAMES ALFRED (Primary)

BIRTH DATE(S)

• 5/2/1943 
  • 5/2/1948 (Primary)

ARREST SUMMARY
DATE OF ARREST SEQUENCE CODE TRACKING NUMBER AGENCY DESCRIPTION
10/7/1960  A    DALLAS COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE 
5/14/1962  A    DALLAS COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE 
7/6/1964  A    DALLAS COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE 
3/27/1970  A    DALLAS COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE 
5/20/1981  A    DALLAS COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE 
9/24/1988  A    DALLAS COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE 
Searches based on names, date of birth and other alphanumeric identifiers are not always accurate. The only way to positively link someone to a criminal record is through fingerprint identification. It is your responsibility to make sure the records you access through this site pertain to the person about whom you are seeking information. Extreme care should be exercised in using any information obtained from this Web site. Neither the DPS nor the State of Texas shall be responsible for any errors or omissions produced by secondary dissemination of this data.
ARREST DATE 10/7/1960 (1 CHARGES)
ARREST DETAIL
ARREST DATE10/7/1960
SEQUENCE CODEA
ARRESTING AGENCYDALLAS COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE (TX0570000)
ARREST DATE 10/7/1960 (CHARGE *001)
OFFENSE RECORD
INTERNAL AGENCY PERSON NUMBER81491
ARREST OFFENSEBURGL-(FREE TEXT) (22000000)
ARREST OFFENSE LITERALBURG OF COIN MACH
ARREST OFFENSE CITATIONX

COURT STATUS A
COURT OFFENSEBURGL-(FREE TEXT) (22000000)
COURT OFFENSE LITERALBURGL -COIN MACHINE
COURT OFFENSE CITATIONX
COURT DISPOSITIONCONVICTED (310)
COURT CONFINEMENT4M

ARREST DATE 5/14/1962 (2 CHARGES)
ARREST DETAIL
ARREST DATE5/14/1962
SEQUENCE CODEA
ARREST DATE 5/14/1962 (CHARGE *001)
OFFENSE RECORD
ARREST OFFENSEFORGERY-(FREE TEXT) (25000000)
ARREST OFFENSE LITERALFORGERY -PASSING
ARREST OFFENSE CITATIONX

COURT STATUS A
COURT OFFENSEFORGERY-(FREE TEXT) (25000000)
COURT OFFENSE LITERALFORGERY -AND PASS
COURT OFFENSE CITATIONX
COURT CONFINEMENT5Y

ARREST DATE 5/14/1962 (CHARGE *002)
OFFENSE RECORD
ARREST OFFENSE LITERALBURGL -
ARREST OFFENSE CITATIONX

COURT STATUS A
COURT OFFENSE LITERALBURGL -
COURT OFFENSE CITATIONX
COURT CONFINEMENT5Y
COURT PROVISION LITERALTO RUN CONC

ARREST DATE 7/6/1964 (1 CHARGES)
ARREST DETAIL
ARREST DATE7/6/1964
SEQUENCE CODEA
ARREST DATE 7/6/1964 (CHARGE *001)
OFFENSE RECORD
ARREST OFFENSE LITERALBURGL -
ARREST OFFENSE CITATIONX

COURT STATUS A
COURT OFFENSE LITERALBURGL -
COURT OFFENSE CITATIONX
COURT CONFINEMENT3Y

ARREST DATE 3/27/1970 (2 CHARGES)
ARREST DETAIL
ARREST DATE3/27/1970
SEQUENCE CODEA
ARREST DATE 3/27/1970 (CHARGE *001)
OFFENSE RECORD
ARREST OFFENSE LITERALBURG OF MOTOR VEHICLE
ARREST OFFENSE CITATIONX

COURT STATUS A
COURT OFFENSE LITERALBURGL -MTR VEH
COURT OFFENSE CITATIONX
COURT DISPOSITION DATE1/25/1971
COURT CONFINEMENT1Y
COURT PROVISIONCOURT COSTS (334)

ARREST DATE 3/27/1970 (CHARGE *002)
OFFENSE RECORD
ARREST OFFENSEDANGEROUS DRUGS-(FREE TEXT) (35000000)
ARREST OFFENSE LITERALDANGEROUS DRUGS -
ARREST OFFENSE CITATIONX

COURT STATUS A
COURT OFFENSEDANGEROUS DRUGS-(FREE TEXT) (35000000)
COURT OFFENSE LITERALDANGEROUS DRUGS -
COURT OFFENSE CITATIONX
COURT DISPOSITION DATE1/25/1971
COURT CONFINEMENT1Y
COURT PROVISIONCOURT COSTS (334)

ARREST DATE 5/20/1981 (1 CHARGES)
ARREST DETAIL
ARREST DATE5/20/1981
SEQUENCE CODEA
ARREST DATE 5/20/1981 (CHARGE *001)
OFFENSE RECORD
ARREST OFFENSE LITERALBURG BUILDING
ARREST OFFENSE CITATIONX

COURT STATUS A
COURT OFFENSE LITERALBURG BUILDING
COURT OFFENSE CITATIONX
COURT CONFINEMENT2Y

ARREST DATE 9/24/1988 (1 CHARGES)
ARREST DETAIL
ARREST DATE9/24/1988
SEQUENCE CODEA
ARREST DATE 9/24/1988 (CHARGE *001)
OFFENSE RECORD
INTERNAL AGENCY PERSON NUMBER081491
ARREST OFFENSESEX ASSLT-(FREE TEXT) (11000000)
ARREST OFFENSE LITERALAGGRAV SEX ASSAULT
ARREST OFFENSE CITATIONX

COURT STATUS A
COURT OFFENSESEX ASSLT-(FREE TEXT) (11000000)
COURT OFFENSE LITERALSEXUAL ASLT
COURT OFFENSE CITATIONX
COURT CONFINEMENT30Y

CUSTODIES
Custody
DATE OF OFFENSE9/24/1988
CUSTODIAL AGENCY/ORIDEPT OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE HUNTSVILLE (TX236065C)
PERSONAL ID NUMBER0503307
STATUS STARTING DATE2/16/1989
STATUS SUPERVISIONRECEIVED (421)

Custody
DATE OF OFFENSE5/20/1981
PERSONAL ID NUMBER325588
STATUS STARTING DATE5/10/1983
STATUS SUPERVISIONDISCHARGED (409)
STATUS SUPERVISION LITERALFROM MANDATORY SUPERVISION

Custody
DATE OF OFFENSE5/20/1981
PERSONAL ID NUMBER325588
STATUS STARTING DATE3/26/1982
STATUS SUPERVISIONPAROLED (417)
STATUS SUPERVISION LITERALMAND SUPER TO DALLAS COUNTY UNTIL 5-10-83
PAROLED UNTIL DATE5/10/1983

Custody
DATE OF OFFENSE5/20/1981
PERSONAL ID NUMBER325588
STATUS STARTING DATE10/8/1981
STATUS SUPERVISION LITERALFROM DALLAS COUNTY

Custody
DATE OF OFFENSE5/14/1962
PERSONAL ID NUMBER167995
STATUS STARTING DATE3/25/1966
STATUS SUPERVISIONDISCHARGED (409)

Custody
DATE OF OFFENSE5/14/1962
PERSONAL ID NUMBER167995
STATUS STARTING DATE9/18/1964
STATUS SUPERVISION LITERALRET AS PAR VIOL

Custody
DATE OF OFFENSE5/14/1962
PERSONAL ID NUMBER167995
STATUS STARTING DATE4/8/1964
STATUS SUPERVISIONPAROLE REVOCATION (418)

Custody
DATE OF OFFENSE5/14/1962
PERSONAL ID NUMBER167995
STATUS STARTING DATE8/19/1963
STATUS SUPERVISIONPAROLED (417)
STATUS SUPERVISION LITERALTO DALLAS CO

Custody
DATE OF OFFENSE5/14/1962
PERSONAL ID NUMBER167995
STATUS STARTING DATE7/19/1962
STATUS SUPERVISION LITERALFROM DALLAS CO
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Wed 06 Dec 2017, 9:16 am
Hugh,

am I understanding this correctly? He was sentenced to two 5 year terms to run concurrently starting some time in 1962?

Yet FBI records indicate he was roaming the streets of Oak Cliff at least 2 weeks (and probably more) prior to the assassination, so he must have been out on parole after just over a year?

I note that his initial incarceration in 1964 was for breach of parole while waiting to face court on other offenses. Would that also be a fair assessment of the records?

I'm just trying to get my head around how he got paroled so quickly to begin with (assuming I am reading it correctly)

Me

Don Jeffries

Hugh Jorgan
Hugh Jorgan

Fri 08 Dec 2017, 10:40 am
Greg,

You are absolutely correct.  Now, look at the following:

DATE OF OFFENSE           5/14/1962
CUSTODIAL AGENCY/ORI              DEPT OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE HUNTSVILLE (TX236065C)
PERSONAL ID NUMBER  167995
STATUS STARTING DATE 8/19/1963
STATUS SUPERVISION    PAROLED (417)
STATUS SUPERVISION LITERAL   TO DALLAS CO

Custody
DATE OF OFFENSE           5/14/1962/
CUSTODIAL AGENCY/ORI              DEPT OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE HUNTSVILLE (TX236065C)
PERSONAL ID NUMBER  167995
STATUS STARTING DATE 7/19/1962
STATUS SUPERVISION    RECEIVED (421)
STATUS SUPERVISION LITERAL   FROM DALLAS CO

According to the earlier record (the bottom) James was received from Dallas County on the original burglary charge on 7/19/62.  Now, if you look at his next status starting date on 8/19/63 you’ll notice his status supervision listed as “paroled.”  This can be confusing, but his status change is still consider a custody because he was on parole, and therefore still under the supervision of the Department of Corrections.  So, he only did a year and one month on the originally prison sentence and was paroled in August of 1963.  So, he was on the street at that time.  This may seem a bit lenient but is quite common to this day with Texas offenders, especially considering his youth and the non-violent nature of the offense.  Although things are a bit tougher today, an inmate must do one third of the sentence on a non-aggravated crime.  This change was introduced around 1987 as a response to recidivism rates.  So, today he would have done at least approximately one year and about 8 months. 

It also appears he had serious trouble shaking the original 1962 charge and was revoked a few times before finally being discharged (end of the sentence with no parole0 in 1966.  It appears his parole violations were the result of subsequent crimes. 

As for his 1964 return to prison, the DA may have simply decided to revoke his parole instead of processing the new charge.  This would be cheaper for the county and put him away for just as long.
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Fri 08 Dec 2017, 10:55 am
Thanks for confirmation and additional information, Hugh.

What has been in the back of my mind and maybe also that of another member, is that the police held something over James (like a parole violation?) and that this was used to get his cooperation on certain things. 

As we know, his mother was a main Tippit witness against Oswald. As noted earlier in this thread,  2 other alleged Tippit witnesses were friends of his. Jimmy Burt, who was also on parole and William Smith who was AWOL from the Army.

The Markham family by the way, was related to a member of the Bonnie and Clyde gang. As was one their neighbors.

Me

Don Jeffries

Hugh Jorgan
Hugh Jorgan

Fri 08 Dec 2017, 11:23 am
oswald - The Unsinkable Marguerite Oswald - Page 2 Marham11
On a side note concerning Mr. Markham, it appears he died alone with no one really caring about him.  He is buried in Captain Joe Byrd Cemetery in Huntsville, commonly referred to by inmates and locals as "Peckerwood Hill."  This is essentially what would be referred to as a pauper's grave. I have visited this cemetery many times on my visits to Huntsville during in-service training during my employment with the agency.  The cemetery, along with the Texas Prison Museum are highly recommended if you are in the area. Some of the graves go back to the 1800s. Peckerwood Hill is where all the inmates who die in custody are buried if they have no family members willing to claim the body and bury them.  The State pays very little for these burials and the inmates are buried by other prisoners in an inmate built pine casket with little or no ceremony.  All that is listed on the tombstone is a name, a prison number and, usually a death date.  Most of the prisoners buried there recently are executed inmates.  For those unfamiliar with Texas policy concerning capital murder, Texas executes inmates like McDonald's makes hamburgers, having executed about 540 men and a few women since the reinstatement of the death penalty in 1982.  Death row offenders have a three digit number like "XXX" or "000XXX" so they are easy to spot.
Hugh Jorgan
Hugh Jorgan

Fri 08 Dec 2017, 11:45 am
greg parker wrote:Thanks for confirmation and additional information, Hugh.

What has been in the back of my mind and maybe also that of another member, is that the police held something over James (like a parole violation?) and that this was used to get his cooperation on certain things. 

As we know, his mother was a main Tippit witness against Oswald. As noted earlier in this thread,  2 other alleged Tippit witnesses were friends of his. Jimmy Burt, who was also on parole and William Smith who was AWOL from the Army.

The Markham family by the way, was related to a member of the Bonnie and Clyde gang. As was one their neighbors.
Greg,

Just got this after posting the photo of his grave. 

I have wondered the same things myself.  James certainly did go to extremes to avoid an arrest by leaping from the window and injuring himself severely.  This is certainly indicative of an extreme fear of the police.  Also, by running from the police he could have made his situation MUCH worse and lead to additional felony charges of evading arrest.

I read Smith's testimony and he seemed to indicate that he never would have been identified unless Ms. Markham ran her mouth that he was there and did not want to be involved.  Also, being a running buddy of James I wonder if the police were putting the squeeze on them both (along with Burt).  It would be interesting to see what Mr. Smith's criminal record is like or if he is still around today.  Was he involved in any of the crimes with the Markham kid?  And, why did jelly brained Marguerite show up with the two reporters?  Why was Ms. Markham so terrified when they arrived?  Was the police car parked there for the young Markham or were they concerned with the Oswald entourage? 

I would tend to agree with your conclusion, Greg.  There seems to be too many factors that support it for there not to be anything to it. 

I was aware of Ms. Markham's connection with Bonnie and Clyde.  She was a Hamilton Grant and her brother was Raymond Hamilton.  Raymond was executed on 5/10/1935 in the electric chair in Huntsville for his crimes with the Barrow Gang.  I never heard the story of the neighbor.  Do you have that name?  Good stuff, Greg, very interesting!

Reason for edit- I made a newb mistake and confused Burt with Smith.  Corrected!
Hugh Jorgan
Hugh Jorgan

Fri 08 Dec 2017, 4:02 pm
Apparently Jimmy Burt was killed in an automobile accident in 1983.  However, he did give an interview with an Al Chapman in 1967.  I dug deep for a transcript of that interview and it is being held by the National Archives and is available (I'm not sure how to do it but I'm thinking of ringing them up).  I did manage to find Chapman's article and here is a snippet of his interview with Burt.  Notice that Mr. Burt says that the man he saw was not Oswald.  It seems rather odd considering the WC gave such cursory importance to Burt.  Here is the snippet....

"This second witness — Jimmy Earl
Burt, then a young soldier home on
leave from the Army — was blatantly
disregarded by the Commission. His
very existence seemed to have been forgotten
by all concerned, until I sought
him out in 1967.
Burt recalled that he and his friend,
Smith, were sitting on the front porch
of Burt's home at 505 East Tenth shortly
after 1 p.m. that afternoon when they
noticed a young man pass the house,
walking toward the corner of Patton and
Tenth.
A moment later, they saw a police
car jerk to a stop at the corner. They
saw an officer get out of the car and
start toward the young man on the curb.
Then they heard a shot and the officer
fell.
Smith said the killer walked south on
Patton, at a leisurely pace, toward
heavily traveled Jefferson Boulevard.
Burt insists that the man ducked into an
alley and claims, in fact, that he even
trailed the suspect for a short distance
before losing him.
But the most startling difference of
all in the testimony of the two eyewitnesses
is in their impression of the man
who killed Patrolman Tippitt.
Burt is blunt and positive when he
says: "The man I saw kill Tippitt was
not Lee Harvey Oswald.
"I got as good a look at him as Smith
did, and I'm sure it wasn't Oswald. It
just didn't look like him."
I thought enough of Jimmy Burt's
startling revelations to take them, in
1968, to my congressman, Rep. Joe Pool
(D.-Tex.), along with the other new
evidence I had gathered. -Al Chapman, New Evidence In JFK Assassination Debunks Findings of The Warren Commission, National Enquirer, Date Unknown."

William Arthur Smith was interviewed on May 30, 1997 for Dale K. Myer's book With Malice: Lee Harvey Oswald and the Murder of Officer J.D. Tippit. I'm thinking of picking up a copy of the book.  Although I doubt I'd agree with Myers his book might at least give some information on new witness accounts.  I've searched in vain to find out where Smith is today.
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin

Fri 08 Dec 2017, 7:56 pm
Thanks again Hugh. I got 'em the wrong way around - Smith on parole, Burt AWOL.

I ill check this time. but I seem to recall some discrepancies between their stories.

Me

Don Jeffries

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum