REOPENKENNEDYCASE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ROKC IS NOW CLOSED AND IS READ ONLY. WE THANK THOSE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED US OVER THE LAST 14 YEARS.

Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
Brian says...Sat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 pmEd.Ledoux
last drinks before the bar closesSat 30 Dec 2023, 2:46 pmTony Krome
The Mystery of Dirk Thomas KunertSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:23 pmTony Krome
Vickie AdamsSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:14 pmgreg_parker
Busted again: Tex ItaliaSat 30 Dec 2023, 9:22 amEd.Ledoux
The Raleigh CallSat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 ambarto
Was Oswald ever confronted with the physical rifle?Sat 30 Dec 2023, 12:03 amCastroSimp
Who Dat? Fri 29 Dec 2023, 10:24 pmTony Krome
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website
Keywords

frazier  paine  11  4  David  2  fritz  doyle  zapruder  3a  3  +Lankford  Darnell  Lifton  hosty  tsbd  prayer  Humor  beckley  Lankford  Floor  9  Weigman  Mason  Theory  tippit  

Like/Tweet/+1

Go down
orangebicycle

The Raleigh Call Empty The Raleigh Call

Fri 29 Dec 2023, 4:59 am
I'm most of the way through Bart Kamp's useful and fascinating Prayer Man, up to and including the section on the Raleigh phone call of late 23 Nov 63. I know the call was 'debunked' by John Hurt's widow a few years back. It seemed like a slam-dunk at the time. But was it? Anthony Summers initially thought so, but was persuaded otherwise by Robert Blakey, whose own investigation confirmed to his satisfaction that the attempted call was outgoing. Certainly, if the call was incoming and presumably unsolicited, why would two agents have been in place waiting to listen in? Unless an allegedly very drunk John Hurt had phoned beforehand to warn the DPD that he was about to make a mad phone call, and there's no indication that he did.

As for the two numbers for Hurt on the telephone slip, surely an incoming call would have come from just one number? Very odd. Worth noting, perhaps, that there was more than one John Hurt in Raleigh at the time. Not sure how widely known this is, but the Raleigh phone directory, published December 1963, has listings for a John D. Hurt at 834-7430 and a John W. Hurt at 833-1253. Where did LHO obtain these numbers, when and why? Apparently, they were not in his phone book or anywhere else. Had he memorised them? And who was John W.? As a conjecture, was LHO verbally advised at some point, 'if things start to get hairy, call John Hurt in Raleigh, Virginia'. Has anyone ever followed up on John W.? 

Finally, the HSCA report of a 1978 interview with Hurt concludes with the line, 'Mr Hurt did not know what the notation "A" stood for' in his Social Security number (107-05-5470-A). I checked into this. Apparently the 'A' means that he was a primary wage earner in receipt of social security benefit. There might be an entirely innocent explanation for this. But you have to wonder what kind employment he was in that would give him primary earner status, giving the extent of his disabilities (missing most of his fingers, etc). The kind of employment that would involve little physical and mental effort in return for a modest or even generous fee? Receiving and passing on messages for a government agency, for example? Hurt's tax records for the period might make for interesting reading.
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin
http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXOA5ZK/ref=s9_simh_

The Raleigh Call Empty Re: The Raleigh Call

Fri 29 Dec 2023, 11:59 am
orangebicycle wrote:I'm most of the way through Bart Kamp's useful and fascinating Prayer Man, up to and including the section on the Raleigh phone call of late 23 Nov 63. I know the call was 'debunked' by John Hurt's widow a few years back. It seemed like a slam-dunk at the time. But was it? Anthony Summers initially thought so, but was persuaded otherwise by Robert Blakey, whose own investigation confirmed to his satisfaction that the attempted call was outgoing. Certainly, if the call was incoming and presumably unsolicited, why would two agents have been in place waiting to listen in? Unless an allegedly very drunk John Hurt had phoned beforehand to warn the DPD that he was about to make a mad phone call, and there's no indication that he did.

As for the two numbers for Hurt on the telephone slip, surely an incoming call would have come from just one number? Very odd. Worth noting, perhaps, that there was more than one John Hurt in Raleigh at the time. Not sure how widely known this is, but the Raleigh phone directory, published December 1963, has listings for a John D. Hurt at 834-7430 and a John W. Hurt at 833-1253. Where did LHO obtain these numbers, when and why? Apparently, they were not in his phone book or anywhere else. Had he memorised them? And who was John W.? As a conjecture, was LHO verbally advised at some point, 'if things start to get hairy, call John Hurt in Raleigh, Virginia'. Has anyone ever followed up on John W.? 

Finally, the HSCA report of a 1978 interview with Hurt concludes with the line, 'Mr Hurt did not know what the notation "A" stood for' in his Social Security number (107-05-5470-A). I checked into this. Apparently the 'A' means that he was a primary wage earner in receipt of social security benefit. There might be an entirely innocent explanation for this. But you have to wonder what kind employment he was in that would give him primary earner status, giving the extent of his disabilities (missing most of his fingers, etc). The kind of employment that would involve little physical and mental effort in return for a modest or even generous fee? Receiving and passing on messages for a government agency, for example? Hurt's tax records for the period might make for interesting reading.
Anthony Summers being persuaded by Robert Blakey is akin to Von Pein being persuaded by McAdams or Brian Doyle being persuaded by John Armstrong. 

Meaningless, imo.

John W. Was a mechanic. Either Lee was wanting to know when his getaway car would be ready or or he was a mechanic in the Charles Bronson sense and Lee was looking for advice from an assassin. 

Seriously, the stories by Swinney, Treon and daughter are all over the shop. I see no reason to believe the story as given by John D's widow. 

My own opinion as to why the two numbers... Treon heard that a John Hurt of Raleigh had tried to call Oswald and used directory assistance to obtain the number so she could forge the call sheet as a keepsake, or maybe as something she could one day sell for a tidy profit. Unfortunately she found out there were two John Hurt's in Raleigh... so since she had no way of knowing which was the right one, she wrote up the form like it was Oswald who had the two numbers and was trying to contact Hurt - not the other way around. 

The story she ended up giving was pure CYA to avoid admitting what she had really done. 

But she forgot to coordinate stories because her daughter told an even bigger whopper to explain it all.

From Proctor's website
Ms. Kovac recalls that when Oswald attempted to place his call, her mother was on the line.29 Ms. Kovac said that she cannot recall if anyone else was present at the switchboard.30 She said she saw her mother write the details of the call as she listened on the line.31 

Absolute bullshit.

The Cold War ran on bullshit.
              Me

"So what’s an independent-minded populist like me to do? I’ve had to grovel in promoting myself on social media, even begging for Amazon reviews and Goodreads ratings, to no avail." 
Don Jeffries

"I've been aware of Greg Parker's work for years, and strongly recommend it." Peter Dale Scott

https://gregrparker.com
orangebicycle

Sat 30 Dec 2023, 4:16 am
I hear what you're saying, Greg, but I'm not wholly convinced that a phone operator would have had the time and the foresight, given all that was going on, to forge an incoming call as an outgoing call. I mean, why not just log it as an incoming call? Surely the slip would have had similar cachet, and no hassle with the two-number scenario.
barto
barto
http://www.prayer-man.com/

Sat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 am
http://www.prayer-man.com/the-alleged-raleigh-call/
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum