REOPENKENNEDYCASE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ROKC IS NOW CLOSED AND IS READ ONLY. WE THANK THOSE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED US OVER THE LAST 14 YEARS.

Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
Brian says...Sat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 pmEd.Ledoux
last drinks before the bar closesSat 30 Dec 2023, 2:46 pmTony Krome
The Mystery of Dirk Thomas KunertSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:23 pmTony Krome
Vickie AdamsSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:14 pmgreg_parker
Busted again: Tex ItaliaSat 30 Dec 2023, 9:22 amEd.Ledoux
The Raleigh CallSat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 ambarto
Was Oswald ever confronted with the physical rifle?Sat 30 Dec 2023, 12:03 amCastroSimp
Who Dat? Fri 29 Dec 2023, 10:24 pmTony Krome
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website
Keywords

+Lankford  zapruder  Theory  hosty  Lifton  Humor  fritz  tippit  frazier  9  prayer  Darnell  4  Weigman  tsbd  David  doyle  Floor  beckley  Mason  3  2  11  Lankford  3a  paine  

Like/Tweet/+1

Go down
katewillard
katewillard

Park Bench in Dealey Plaza near Marilyn Sitzman Empty Park Bench in Dealey Plaza near Marilyn Sitzman

Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:54 pm
Hello Everyone:

Can anyone explain the orientation of this photograph?

It was apparently taken in Dealey Plaza by Dallas Morning News photographer Johnny Flynn and is purported to show the park bench where a young African American couple were seated having lunch and witnessed the assassination.

This young couple was seen by Marilyn Sitzman who was standing behind Abraham Zapruder, steadying him as he readied himself to film the motorcade. Upon witnessing the shooting, they apparently ran from the location of the bench leaving their lunch wrappers and coke bottles behind. 

In her interview with Josiah Thompson in November 1966 Sitzman said she recalled noticing the couple who were located to her right.  Her right was the side where the concrete wall ran along the perimeter of the parking lot and where it met the picket fence.

The Flynn photograph, it has been suggested, is showing two people (investigators?) examining lunch wrappers on a park bench thereby supporting Sitzman's 1966 recollection.  However, the photograph depicts several buildings, street signs, both on the ground and above (or perhaps those above were traffic lights??) across the way that are not in a location (as far as I'm aware) to be seen from the location of the bench that Sitzman saw and later described to Thompson.  

Sitzman said the bench was facing towards the street.  That it was parallel to where she was standing.  So, it must have been facing the street at an angle. Therefore, if those depicted examining the bench in the Flynn photograph are examining the bench that Sitzman saw on her right shouldn't the background of the photograph be showing something like trees, the concrete wall, the parking lot or railroad yard perhaps part of the picket fence or (depending on the camera angle) even some part of the grassy areas in the centre of plaza instead of these buildings?

Can anyone orient this photograph, please?  To me it appears this photo is of another bench located somewhere else in the Plaza (it's conceivable anyone eating their lunch in the plaza may have left their wrappers behind upon hearing the shots not just the young couple seated near Marilyn Sitzman). I know photographs can be tricky and perspectives altered when viewed on a 2-dimensional plane.  The angles of the plaza along with the angle of the camera can also make landmarks appear where they are actually are not.

Kate

Last edited by katewillard on Mon 21 Nov 2022, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
katewillard
katewillard

Park Bench in Dealey Plaza near Marilyn Sitzman Empty Re: Park Bench in Dealey Plaza near Marilyn Sitzman

Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:55 pm
I can see that my photograph attachment hasn't posted.  I'll try to post it again.
katewillard
katewillard

Park Bench in Dealey Plaza near Marilyn Sitzman Empty Re: Park Bench in Dealey Plaza near Marilyn Sitzman

Mon 21 Nov 2022, 2:01 pm
Okay....I can see now that the pic is too big.  If I can find a reduced version, I'll post it.  Well, that was a bit of an anti-climax LOL

If anyone knows of the photo I'm referring to and you have a copy that is the right size for posting, can you please post it.

Many thanks!

Kate
katewillard
katewillard

Mon 21 Nov 2022, 2:39 pm
Park Bench in Dealey Plaza near Marilyn Sitzman Https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fbc292349-07c7-43a0-ba55-51860711ee2e_602x766
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin
http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXOA5ZK/ref=s9_simh_

Mon 21 Nov 2022, 9:08 pm
Hey Kate,

I'm really shit at what you're asking for, but I would be amazed if one of the following couldn't help. I'm looking at you  @barto , @Jake_Sykes@Mick_Purdy, & @Ed.Ledoux. Maybe if  @StanDane looks in, he might also be able to help.

The Cold War ran on bullshit.
              Me

"So what’s an independent-minded populist like me to do? I’ve had to grovel in promoting myself on social media, even begging for Amazon reviews and Goodreads ratings, to no avail." 
Don Jeffries

"I've been aware of Greg Parker's work for years, and strongly recommend it." Peter Dale Scott

https://gregrparker.com
StanDane
StanDane
https://prayermanleeharveyoswald.blogspot.com/

Tue 22 Nov 2022, 12:59 am
Just a quick look seems to show the bench oriented more north-south facing and west. The buildings to the left appear to be along Houston St. Here's a few photos that show the layout. These and other pictures might help to pin it down. 

https://archive.org/details/morejfkpictures/Dealey-Plaza-Drawing-Motorcade.jpg

https://archive.org/details/morejfkpictures/Dealey_Plaza_Aerial_View_Circa_1967.jpg

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/aerial-view-of-dealey-plaza-in-dallas-texas-where-president-john-f-picture-id615320526?s=594x594

PS: I couldn't get these to load directly here. Out of practice and my skills are slipping.
Chris_Davidson

Tue 22 Nov 2022, 11:01 am
Park Bench in Dealey Plaza near Marilyn Sitzman FlynnComp
katewillard
katewillard

Tue 22 Nov 2022, 1:40 pm
That's great -- thanks, guys!

That explains it.

Sitzman had said the seat was parallel to her and was "facing the street".  It gave me the impression it was facing towards her rather than away from her. The seat was actually facing west at an angle (away from her) and the camera angle is north to south. 

Now it makes sense.

Cheers,
Kate
Jake_Sykes
Jake_Sykes

Tue 22 Nov 2022, 2:29 pm
I was going to post a platte map of the plaza and draw a line from the bench location on through the Stemmons sign, which appears in the photo, to show that the buildings that are in the photo make sense from that angle, but you've all figured it out already. With the bench at an angle, which I think it needed to be to fit in that narrow space along side the walkway without actually blocking the walkway, it all makes good sense.

I wonder if the FBI ever tracked down those folks on the bench and interviewed them. Whether or not they did, we'll never know who they were.

Thu 24 Nov 2022, 9:45 pm
https://jfkfacts.substack.com/p/the-couple-on-the-grassy-knoll

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum