REOPENKENNEDYCASE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
ROKC IS NOW CLOSED AND IS READ ONLY. WE THANK THOSE WHO HAVE SUPPORTED US OVER THE LAST 14 YEARS.

Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
Brian says...Sat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 pmEd.Ledoux
last drinks before the bar closesSat 30 Dec 2023, 2:46 pmTony Krome
The Mystery of Dirk Thomas KunertSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:23 pmTony Krome
Vickie AdamsSat 30 Dec 2023, 1:14 pmgreg_parker
Busted again: Tex ItaliaSat 30 Dec 2023, 9:22 amEd.Ledoux
The Raleigh CallSat 30 Dec 2023, 4:33 ambarto
Was Oswald ever confronted with the physical rifle?Sat 30 Dec 2023, 12:03 amCastroSimp
Who Dat? Fri 29 Dec 2023, 10:24 pmTony Krome
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of REOPENKENNEDYCASE on your social bookmarking website
Keywords

Theory  fritz  David  Mason  3  Darnell  Weigman  hosty  beckley  prayer  zapruder  frazier  4  Lifton  Floor  Humor  paine  Lankford  tsbd  9  3a  11  doyle  tippit  2  +Lankford  

Like/Tweet/+1

Go down
9K116
9K116

Did Penkovsky save the world from Nuclear war? Empty Did Penkovsky save the world from Nuclear war?

Tue 25 Jun 2013, 6:19 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleg_Penkovsky
Prior to Cuban missile crysis, colonel of GRU (Soviet Military Intelligence) Oleg Penkovsky made contact with CIA and MI-6 and, eventually, provided them data on capabilities of Soviet nuclear armament.

It is proven fact, that in late 50-ies and early 60-ies Soviet nuclear weapons were inferior to those of USA and their Allies. Not the bombs themselves but technologies of ICBMs, strategic bombers and ICBMs on submarines. Generally, USA were capable to perform a nuclear strike on the territory of USSR and still avoid responsive strike during said period.

Knowing their problems with range of ICBMs, long preparation times, problems with air defence, Soviets performed desinformation campaigns to ensure USA and other world that they are much stronger than they actually were. Part of this campaign was mentioned as factor, leading to the death of hikers on the Dyatlov's pass (see a according topic in very this forum).

It is stated, that Penkovsky transferred actual data of Soviet nuclear missiles and other stuff to the West thus eliminating the results of desinformation campaigns. And there are claims, that he saved the world from the nuclear war in that way. 

Am I only one, who can't see any logic in how sharing the secret Soviet information really saved the world? For me, it seems even inversed: if in the government of USA in the said period were group of people, interested in the nuclear war and, as the result of it, total destruction of USSR, than receiving info on Soviet nuclear (in)capability could allow them to decide to perform first nuclear strike on USSR immediately!
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin
http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXOA5ZK/ref=s9_simh_

Did Penkovsky save the world from Nuclear war? Empty Re: Did Penkovsky save the world from Nuclear war?

Tue 25 Jun 2013, 10:12 pm
I agree with you fully. It sounds like CIA disinformation. Penkovsky was most likely a double agent - and if so - his eventual capture, trial and execution were pure theater.

The Cold War ran on bullshit.
              Me

"So what’s an independent-minded populist like me to do? I’ve had to grovel in promoting myself on social media, even begging for Amazon reviews and Goodreads ratings, to no avail." 
Don Jeffries

"I've been aware of Greg Parker's work for years, and strongly recommend it." Peter Dale Scott

https://gregrparker.com
9K116
9K116

Did Penkovsky save the world from Nuclear war? Empty Re: Did Penkovsky save the world from Nuclear war?

Wed 26 Jun 2013, 5:03 am
greg parker wrote:I agree with you fully. It sounds like CIA disinformation. Penkovsky was most likely a double agent - and if so - his eventual capture, trial and execution were pure theater.
Well, the problem is in difference in messages of Soviet disinformation campaign and what Penkovsky provided to West.

Disinformation campaign stated: we have lot of missiles, they are reliable and powerful enough, so in case of American nuclear attack we can surely answer with the same power or even more.

What Penkovsky told: most powerful Soviet missiles are still in testing and are, actually, experimental, and are produced in very few numbers, but that model which is fully operation at the moment, requires an oxygen factory nearby and 24 hours to prepare the launch.

We know Penkovsky told truth now. If he was double agent indeed, I hardly imagine how his shared information was benefitial for Soviets. Because, if the Hawks were those who received intel from Penkovsky on the US side, they could made radically different decision - to take the chance the Soviets can't retaliate! So, for me it seems as madness from Soviet side, if we assume Penkovsky was double agent and acted according to plans of KGB.
greg_parker
greg_parker
Admin
http:// http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IXOA5ZK/ref=s9_simh_

Wed 26 Jun 2013, 7:58 am
9K116 wrote:
greg parker wrote:I agree with you fully. It sounds like CIA disinformation. Penkovsky was most likely a double agent - and if so - his eventual capture, trial and execution were pure theater.
Well, the problem is in difference in messages of Soviet disinformation campaign and what Penkovsky provided to West.

Disinformation campaign stated: we have lot of missiles, they are reliable and powerful enough, so in case of American nuclear attack we can surely answer with the same power or even more.

What Penkovsky told: most powerful Soviet missiles are still in testing and are, actually, experimental, and are produced in very few numbers, but that model which is fully operation at the moment, requires an oxygen factory nearby and 24 hours to prepare the launch.

We know Penkovsky told truth now. If he was double agent indeed, I hardly imagine how his shared information was benefitial for Soviets. Because, if the Hawks were those who received intel from Penkovsky on the US side, they could made radically different decision - to take the chance the Soviets can't retaliate! So, for me it seems as madness from Soviet side, if we assume Penkovsky was double agent and acted according to plans of KGB.
This is what I was thinking of when I suggested CIA disinformation. It comes from the CIA website:

Penkovsky was a colonel in the GRU — Soviet military intelligence — and the highest level Soviet officer to spy for the United States or Great Britain up to that time. During his time in the military, Penkovsky grew disillusioned with the Soviet regime. He felt that Nikita Krushchev was leading the Soviet Union down the path to destruction with his relentless pursuit of spreading Communism throughout the world. Penkovsky wanted to help prevent a nuclear war between the superpowers, so he volunteered to spy for the United States and the United Kingdom.
https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2010-featured-story-archive/colonel-penkovsky.html

Khrushchev repudiated Stalinism and relaxed Soviet hold over East European countries - at least until the CIA took advantage and fomented rebellion.   

While on the face of it, it may seem odd to suggest Penkovsky was a double-agent, Spy Catcher by Peter Wriight puts forward that very argument.

That said, I do see your arguments, and you may well be right.

The Cold War ran on bullshit.
              Me

"So what’s an independent-minded populist like me to do? I’ve had to grovel in promoting myself on social media, even begging for Amazon reviews and Goodreads ratings, to no avail." 
Don Jeffries

"I've been aware of Greg Parker's work for years, and strongly recommend it." Peter Dale Scott

https://gregrparker.com
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum